Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2007

I've heard there are several versions of Vista available. Mostly they offer now Vista Home (nice, "home" means mildew in Finnish). For a professional translator, is the home edition good enough? What do you think?
Guess changing the Vista version afterwards will cost half of what the computer is worth, so one should be careful.
Regards
Heinrich

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:46
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
A professional translator should stay away from Vista Nov 5, 2007

That's my opinion.

Regards

Andrzej

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some pointers... Nov 5, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I've heard there are several versions of Vista available.

1. Microsoft doesn't say much on their web site.

2. See here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions_and_pricing

3. Basically, you can do with Vista Home Basic if you're willing to supplement it with lots of third-party programs (most of which I suspect will be freeware anyway).

4. Home Premium supports a few more peripheral devices natively, and you can use more RAM (up to 16 GB instead of the 8 GB in Home Basic). Home Basic allow you to connect to 5 computers, hereas Home Premium allows 10 computers. I wonder if this limit can be bypassed simply by using a router or by using a server-client type of network.

5. I get the feeling that if you buy Vista Business, you can safely use it for another 7 years.

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Microsoft comparison Nov 5, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
1. Microsoft doesn't say much on their web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Still looks better than Wikipedia's page. Just read about the features, add prices to the (printed) table and please tell here if it is not the Home Premium

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 10:46
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Do you need anything in particular? Nov 5, 2007

If you don't have any special needs, I would suggest getting Vista Home Premium instead of Vista Home Basic and avoiding all the other versions, since you probably don't need them.

On another note, I'm running Vista Home Premium on my laptop and it works just fine with my normal setup, save for the fact that I can't get MultiTerm to work with either Workbench or with Word. I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means, but (so far) Vista is no more of a disaster than XP is in terms of gene
... See more
If you don't have any special needs, I would suggest getting Vista Home Premium instead of Vista Home Basic and avoiding all the other versions, since you probably don't need them.

On another note, I'm running Vista Home Premium on my laptop and it works just fine with my normal setup, save for the fact that I can't get MultiTerm to work with either Workbench or with Word. I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means, but (so far) Vista is no more of a disaster than XP is in terms of general OS functionality.

If you are not getting Vista as the "mandatory" OS on your new computer (i.e. the OS that comes pre-installed in your new desktop or laptop), however, I would suggest sticking to XP instead. There is, of course, Linux as well, but you didn't ask about that and I'm assuming you're not interested (?).
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Arguments against Vista Nov 5, 2007

Because Vista is a complete unknown so far as to:

- reliability in the real world

- security (although it appears to be every bit as issue-prone in this regard as XP and arguably worse)

- compatibility with current applications is to a great extent unknown

Vista is a very dangerous and risky option in the short term for a mission-critical business machine. And there isno rush to implement it.

Why torture yourself by pioneering? It
... See more
Because Vista is a complete unknown so far as to:

- reliability in the real world

- security (although it appears to be every bit as issue-prone in this regard as XP and arguably worse)

- compatibility with current applications is to a great extent unknown

Vista is a very dangerous and risky option in the short term for a mission-critical business machine. And there isno rush to implement it.

Why torture yourself by pioneering? It makes little business sense - strike that, it makes NO business sense at all.

Please remember, that there are still many issues with drivers for various devices. Your existing hardware / soft may not operate correct with Vista.

Regards

Andrzej
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Vista Home Premium Nov 5, 2007

I'm working with Vista Home Premium without problems.

I don't have any trouble with Trados, Workbench, or Multiterm, apart from the trouble Multiterm itself is causing. (I have both Trados 2006 and 2007 installed).
I have Windows XP on another computer I sometimes use, and it doesn't really make a difference.

You will probably have to find a few patches to make the drivers of your peripherals work.
... See more
I'm working with Vista Home Premium without problems.

I don't have any trouble with Trados, Workbench, or Multiterm, apart from the trouble Multiterm itself is causing. (I have both Trados 2006 and 2007 installed).
I have Windows XP on another computer I sometimes use, and it doesn't really make a difference.

You will probably have to find a few patches to make the drivers of your peripherals work. I've had trouble with printer drivers and Dragon Naturally Speaking, but I've found patches for all of these problems. I suppose this is true for all versions of Vista.

A lot of problems have already been reported and solved; after all, Vista has been on the market for a while now. Make sure to keep informed about the release of Service Packs, and download them once they're available.

Much depends on your hardware; you should check system requirements and perhaps upgrade your PC.

'Home' means 'mildew'?

Good luck!
Margreet
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Actually, the wiki page is still better Nov 5, 2007

Boris Kimel wrote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Still looks better than Wikipedia's page.

Not really useful. It just tells you what extra programs are installed on these other versions of Vista. Most of those programs are also available from third-party sources, so you don't need to buy a better Vista just to be able to use those features.

Moreover, the MS page doen't tell you anything about the *real* differences, such as the fact that Home Basic can have only 5 network connections but Home Premium can have 10. Those are the real differences.

Take a look at Microsoft's description of the Starter edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/starter/default.mspx

Nowhere on that page do they mention for example that you can't connect Vista Starter to a network, or that you can only open three programs at a time.

When choosing between the versions, the question in my mind would be "what restrictions would I get with the cheaper versions", not "what category of user as defined by Microsoft do I fit into".

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:46
German to English
Not available Nov 5, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Nowhere on that page do they mention for example that you can't connect Vista Starter to a network, or that you can only open three programs at a time.

But it does say Starter is not available in developed markets so you can ignore that for a start.
Gillian

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Ouch, you've made me read that Nov 5, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Home Basic can have only 5 network connections but Home Premium can have 10. Those are the real differences.

Actually one usually has just one such connection at most ("simultaneous SMB peer network connections"). I have none most of the time. Questionably useful to know, and completely irrelevant for a generic user definitely not planning to create a file server.
Still there is no information about Starter's 3-app limitation anywhere at MS site, even in footnotes.
I just bought two Home Premiums as OEI (killer price) and both of them are performing wonderful.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:46
Flemish to English
+ ...
Business... Nov 5, 2007

When SP1 comes out, I intend to buy a business edition.
Does anybody have any experience with "downgrading (eh..upgrading) from XP>Vista?

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Home Premium Nov 6, 2007

"Basic" is not enough

"Business" is for networking (e.g., backup thru network, on a domain, and with a care-taker (system administrator))

"Home Premium" is good for home - one user, one care-taker, and one small network (and a small budget)

[Edited at 2007-11-06 02:34]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Nov 6, 2007

I'm not shopping around at the moment, but the moment will come. I will stay away from Home Basic, and look for something better in the descriptions.

Albert Stufkens
Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Vista Nov 11, 2007

If you switch to Vista, have your PC checked online for hardware compatibility first. If it is compatible then just buy an upgrade version.
I find that Vista (using Word 2007) is pretty strong in recovering from a crash. You get everything back exactly.
Note: you indeed need to download new drivers for your printer and old webcam.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I'm not shopping around at the moment, but the moment will come. I will stay away from Home Basic, and look for something better in the descriptions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Vista, if Vista?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »