Initiator des Themas: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 04:55
Englisch > Niederländisch
+ ...
Jan 24, 2008

I have been using the free version of IDrive for a few days now and I must say: it works!

After a lot of problems with a similar service by AOL called XDrive, I switched to IDrive (www.idrive.com). The only trouble is the 2GB limitation. At a reasonable fee you can get 'unlimited' online storage, though (max 150 GB), which I'll probably do.

At the moment there is a special deal: 10 GB ext
... See more
I have been using the free version of IDrive for a few days now and I must say: it works!

After a lot of problems with a similar service by AOL called XDrive, I switched to IDrive (www.idrive.com). The only trouble is the 2GB limitation. At a reasonable fee you can get 'unlimited' online storage, though (max 150 GB), which I'll probably do.

At the moment there is a special deal: 10 GB extra for free if you allow IDrive to send a one-time e-mail to some of your address book contacts. I did so and presto, immediately 10 GB were added to my online storage space. Good one! In one night all my termbases and customer files were uploaded.

Perhaps we can refer IDrive to one another, to and fro, so as not to be sending too much spam everywhere.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know about this very useful and possibly important service.

- Marinus
Collapse

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 13:55
Deutsch > Englisch
... and it's off-site. Apr 19, 2008

When I first heard about remote backup storage services, my reaction was: Why? Why not back your stuff up on a local external hard drive or stick? You don't have to pay a monthly fee and there's less danger of the data being abused.

Almost immediately, I thought of a good answer: it's off-site. Generally speaking, it's way off-site. If your office explodes in a ball of flame, your data will be safe. I content myself with burning a backup CD now and then and giving it to a friend.
... See more
When I first heard about remote backup storage services, my reaction was: Why? Why not back your stuff up on a local external hard drive or stick? You don't have to pay a monthly fee and there's less danger of the data being abused.

Almost immediately, I thought of a good answer: it's off-site. Generally speaking, it's way off-site. If your office explodes in a ball of flame, your data will be safe. I content myself with burning a backup CD now and then and giving it to a friend. But I can understand how someone would find a service like IDrive worth the outlay.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 04:55
Englisch > Niederländisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Still works, with some quirks Apr 20, 2008

Thanks Richard

Can't have enough backup, I found out the hard way.

What I especially liked about the IDrive solution was the automatic incremental backup, in other words, only changed files get backed up in the background. Regrettably that service does not work very well for me. It seems to take up a lot of CPU power when it's busy and sometimes it gets stuck. So at the moment I'm back to manually switching IDrive on when I'm not using my pc. Not ideal, but much better
... See more
Thanks Richard

Can't have enough backup, I found out the hard way.

What I especially liked about the IDrive solution was the automatic incremental backup, in other words, only changed files get backed up in the background. Regrettably that service does not work very well for me. It seems to take up a lot of CPU power when it's busy and sometimes it gets stuck. So at the moment I'm back to manually switching IDrive on when I'm not using my pc. Not ideal, but much better than nothing.

Idrive still offers 10 GB free online storage space if you allow them to send an e-mail to some of the addresses in your address book. So far I have only used their free service, not the paid service. I hope they'll make the program more user friendly and less intrusive in future, but I can certainly recommend it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online backup solution - Backup-Lösung

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »