[Edited at 2023-01-19 06:44 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Students will love this Jan 19, 2023

First they ask ChatGPT to write their paper, then they ask DeepL Write to correct the language.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 07.48.20

I must confess: I didn't see this implementation of DeepL's LLM coming ...

Rita Translator
Recep Kurt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:43
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hilarious Jan 19, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

First they ask ChatGPT to write their paper, then they ask DeepL Write to correct the language.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 07.48.20

I must confess: I didn't see this implementation of DeepL's LLM coming ...

I find this hilarious. Any time I use Deepl I spend a lot of time rewriting whatever it offers. The idea of Deepl correcting *my* language is just ridiculous. It's the other way round!

[Edited at 2023-01-19 08:30 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Very well possible Jan 19, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Any time I use Deepl I spend a lot of time rewriting whatever it offers.

That is very well possible ...

Tom in London

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:43
Member (2007)
English to German
For non-natives Jan 19, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

The idea of Deepl correcting *my* language is just ridiculous. It's the other way round!

Screenshot 2023-01-19 134039

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Style? I don't think so. Jan 19, 2023

It "improves" sentence structure and grammar, style is something else.

Grammarly, Word spell-checker and many others do this. Is this tool yet another copy-cat on the market? I try to imagine artists copying each other's concepts all the time the way developers do. Bye bye intellectual rights.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 01:43
English to Finnish
+ ...
Both sentences are wrong Jan 19, 2023

... to see suggestions or rewrite ...
it sould read: to see suggestions or to rewrite

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
For natives too! Jan 19, 2023

Yesterday I received an email in French (sic) from a French communications professional and I wondered in what language he had written to me, as the syntax and grammar were so poor.

Perhaps using such a tool in French would have saved him from looking worse than a primary school pupil...

The real problem is the linguistic level of this correspondent, which unfortunately justifies the usefulness of this type of tool... which will only make things worse, like the automa
... See more
Yesterday I received an email in French (sic) from a French communications professional and I wondered in what language he had written to me, as the syntax and grammar were so poor.

Perhaps using such a tool in French would have saved him from looking worse than a primary school pupil...

The real problem is the linguistic level of this correspondent, which unfortunately justifies the usefulness of this type of tool... which will only make things worse, like the automatic correctors on smartphones for example, or machine translations, but that is another story.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:43
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
You must be blessed with clients who actually know how to write Jan 19, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I find this hilarious. Any time I use Deepl I spend a lot of time rewriting whatever it offers. The idea of Deepl correcting *my* language is just ridiculous. It's the other way round!

Correcting *your* language may be just ridiculous, but correcting what your clients write?

Either you are blessed with clients who actually know how to write their copy, or you find yourself in my situation: I often have to correct what they write before translating it. DeepL Write is not yet at the point in which it could speed up this process, but if it could, it would indeed be useful.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Finnword Jan 19, 2023

finnword1 wrote:

No, both are fine.

Lingua 5B
Kay Denney

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
  Jan 19, 2023

Does that mean that even more "linguists" will give up using their natural language skills?

That's fantastic news for the few of us who still use (and hone) those skills! In a couple of years we'll feel like 20/20-sighted in the land of the half-blind.

Emanuele Vacca

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:43
Greek to English
Muphry Jan 20, 2023

finnword1 wrote:

Muphry's Law strikes again!

Lieven Malaise
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Jan Truper
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes Jan 20, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

finnword1 wrote:

No, both are fine.

Yes, both are correct as you can omit “to” in infinitives (although you don’t have to) after coordinating conjunctions (and, or, but, etc.) when joining two clauses or similar.

I believe the version with a to is more old-fashioned.

[Edited at 2023-01-20 16:33 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
The sad thing... Jan 21, 2023

... is that the standard we compare ourselves with is now a machine.

We should aspire to write like Steinbeck, or Eco or Montanelli for us Italians, or whoever we regard as the highest expression in our working language.

We should use technical, scientific, legal or financial journals and publications as a reference instead of dull algorithms.

We should be perfecting and discussing the fine art of deverbalisation. (Raise your hand if you regularly use it. Y
... See more
... is that the standard we compare ourselves with is now a machine.

We should aspire to write like Steinbeck, or Eco or Montanelli for us Italians, or whoever we regard as the highest expression in our working language.

We should use technical, scientific, legal or financial journals and publications as a reference instead of dull algorithms.

We should be perfecting and discussing the fine art of deverbalisation. (Raise your hand if you regularly use it. Yeah, that's what I thought.)

And we should keep practicing our source languages until they become second nature, quasi-native.

But of course all of that takes time and effort, and we can't resist the temptation of taking the easy shortcut. Go ahead, but don't complain any more if the rates keep going down. If we keep lowering our standards down to assembly line workers, why should we be paid as masters of the trade?

Perhaps you're assuming that you're perfectly entitled to save your precious time, but whoever pays for your "services" somehow is not entitled to save their equally precious money?

[Edited at 2023-01-21 02:11 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL Write

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »