Thread poster: Yaotl Altan
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:43
English to French
+ ...
Not that I am looking for more clients, but... May 9, 2007

This is a spot on example of situations where people want to DIY their website, not realizing it is very much worth it to pay a web designer and a translator.

I know somebody who prefers to fix everyhting in his home himself - the plumbing, the plastering, the flooring, etc. The result? A house that barely stands, water lines that leak, tiles that come off, etc. The result in the long term? Much more money - and effort - invested for the same results, and a very bad impression to to
... See more
This is a spot on example of situations where people want to DIY their website, not realizing it is very much worth it to pay a web designer and a translator.

I know somebody who prefers to fix everyhting in his home himself - the plumbing, the plastering, the flooring, etc. The result? A house that barely stands, water lines that leak, tiles that come off, etc. The result in the long term? Much more money - and effort - invested for the same results, and a very bad impression to top it off.

Good thing for them you have come to the rescue. Boy, they must be happy now to have such a cousin!
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
my favorite mistake May 9, 2007

I thought that my favorite was

IT BEGINS OPERATIONS ON AUGUST 1o the 2001

They went into business on August First-Oh! the 2001.... ??

But then I scanned down the page, and now I'm going to be worrying all day about what

A YOUNG COMPANY WITH AVANT-GARDE ATTACHMENT

means...

Thanks, Yaotl, for sharing (I hope your primos don't get mad at you; the ought to take you out to dinner!)

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) May 9, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Thanks, Yaotl, for sharing (I hope your primos don't get mad at you; the ought to take you out to dinner!)

I hope so, Patricia. I was searching a web-page with errors in order to learn from it. I can't believe I found it in a close range. The idea is to learn about what not to do either if we translate a text or design a web page.

Having read the colleagues comments, I could realize more design and translation errors and still we are not supposed to be web designers. What would happen if a professional web designer access the page?

Paul Betts
Paul Betts  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:43
French to English
Coffee broke... May 9, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:

What would happen if a professional web designer access the page?

Well it would take him/her a while to reply. It's not easy to clean high-velocity coffee from a monitor!

As Viktoria G so rightly implied, it is difficult to be good at selling your business, translating it into another language and learning the ropes of web design at the same time. If the latter two produce something that has more than a whiff of unprofessionalism, the company director will often be the last to know.

Has anyone here ever 'cold-called' a company through their website to let them them know their website translation isn't up to the job? I have a collection of 40 web sites across my language pair (French to English) that I am preparing to gently offer web assistance to, and I could do with some tips and pointers.

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 12:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yaotl, you are going to help your cousins out, aren't you? May 10, 2007

Now that we have all learned from their mistakes, please help them to do better!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Phone May 10, 2007

Ruth Henderson wrote:

Now that we have all learned from their mistakes, please help them to do better!

Well, if they fix their phone problems, I could do it

or we'd have to wait 'till the next family party which is set to.... August.

I'll try again with the e-mail.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What not to do with your webpage

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »