Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:48
French to English
+ ...
Please file a complaint! Jul 12, 2007

John Di Rico wrote:

I think I made a huge mistake with La BP. I should have known better considering my mail keeps getting lost (two different checks worth more than €2k each); they can't run a mail service, how can you trust them with banking?

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks,

John

John,

Indeed, the postal service in France has become abysmal. I have found that complaining to one's "centre de tri" is pointless and encourage all who have serious mail delivery problems to write an official letter (registered, return receipt) to
Raymond Redding
Directeur du Courrier
La Poste
44 Boulevard de Vaugirard
CP D701
75757 Paris Cedex, 15

Cheers,

Patricia

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
ATM charges Jul 12, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

N.M. Eklund wrote:

I like them though because no matter where I go in France I can find an ATM.

Do you get charged extra if you use another bank's ATM in France.

Here, in Portugal, I can use any ATM at no additional charge.

I was actually only referring to the La Poste ATMs.
These are for the post office only and I can't use other bank ATMs. But that's ok, because any little lost countryside village in France has a Post Office, whereas it'd be a lot more difficult to find other banks. You'd have to head for a larger town.

Credit Mutuel charges some if I use another bank's ATM.

Arturo Mannino
Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Be aware of phishing Jul 13, 2007

Hi Hypian,

as Lawyer-Linguist said, there are some fake internet-banking sites out there which look exactly like your bank. The try to gather passwords and other personal data to get access to users accounts. You have probably heard about phishing: you get an e-mail requesting to "update your details" or something like that. The mail has a link which takes you to a fake bank site, and that's how it works. Now, in countries where internet banking is a reality since many years (and p
... See more
Hi Hypian,

as Lawyer-Linguist said, there are some fake internet-banking sites out there which look exactly like your bank. The try to gather passwords and other personal data to get access to users accounts. You have probably heard about phishing: you get an e-mail requesting to "update your details" or something like that. The mail has a link which takes you to a fake bank site, and that's how it works. Now, in countries where internet banking is a reality since many years (and phishing too) people is probably more conscious of this risk. Some big banks have also implemented info-campaigns to help customers defend themselves against phishing.
If, as you said, internet banking is quite new in Indonesia, I can imagine a bunch of "phishing masters" setting up a phishing campaign targeted to indonesian customers. Maybe it's paranoid. Maybe not. Anyway, I was told the golden rule to recognize phishing is: no serious bank will ever, ever ask you to update your details online.
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Good Reminder Jul 14, 2007

Arturo Mannino wrote:

Hi Hypian,

as Lawyer-Linguist said, there are some fake internet-banking sites out there which look exactly like your bank. The try to gather passwords and other personal data to get access to users accounts.
If, as you said, internet banking is quite new in Indonesia, I can imagine a bunch of "phishing masters" setting up a phishing campaign targeted to indonesian customers. Anyway, I was told the golden rule to recognize phishing is: no serious bank will ever, ever ask you to update your details online.

A good reminder, Arturo. Thank you very much for reminding me of this potential phishing and the golden rule. It's really helpful to me as a new user of Internet banking services.

Hipyan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet Banking - Please Share Your Experience

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »