Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Russian word with five consonants in a row May 6, 2009

Бодрствовать (bodrstvovat)
Multitran definition:
be awake; wake; watch; keep vigil; sit up; keep awake; to be awake; to be up

Russian tongue-twister:

Он бодрствовал в Пскове (On bodrstvoval v Pskove); he kept vigil in Pskov.

foghorn
foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
Tongue twisters when translated (just a try) May 6, 2009

The story of grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badgers (boz ala boz başlı boz tüylü başıboş pis porsuk in Turkish)

A grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunts an acre of cabbage. Another grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunts another acre of cabbage. The grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the acre of cabbage asks the other grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the other acre of cabb
... See more
The story of grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badgers (boz ala boz başlı boz tüylü başıboş pis porsuk in Turkish)

A grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunts an acre of cabbage. Another grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunts another acre of cabbage. The grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the acre of cabbage asks the other grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the other acre of cabbage: How long have you been the grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the acre of cabbage? The other grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the acre of cabbage tells the grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger; I’ve been the grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the acre of cabbage ever since you are the other grey headed, grey feathered, grubby vagrant badger haunting the acre of cabbage.
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:15
English to German
+ ...
German pangram May 6, 2009

There are quite a few German pangrams, most containing Bayern or Sylt for the 'y', but not all of them make sense.
AFAIK the most widely known pangram with a real sentence is:

Franz jagt im komplett verwahrlosten Taxi quer durch Bayern.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 01:15
Turkish to English
+ ...
Correction May 6, 2009

Paul Dixon wrote:

Word with most umlauts: kääntäjää (Finnish for translator - I came across this one by chance the other day - could also be the word with most repeated letters)

I would have to correct you on that one. The combination of agglutination and vowel harmony in Turkish means that it is possible to make many words with more umlauts.

For example:

öldürücü - lethal
öldürücülük - lethalness
öldürücülüğü - its lethality
öldürücülüğünün - of its lethality

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Longest place name in the world May 6, 2009

The longest place name in the world is:
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH.

It is a small village in Anglesey, Wales, on the main Crewe to Holyhead railway line.

The translation is:

"The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave".

You can hear the w
... See more
The longest place name in the world is:
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH.

It is a small village in Anglesey, Wales, on the main Crewe to Holyhead railway line.

The translation is:

"The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave".

You can hear the word pronounced at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNN3Cpnur1k. Or you can say it yourself by using the step-by-step tutorial available at http://llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/say.php

Thousands of visitors each year visit this small village, made internationally famous through its tongue-twister of a name. Be sure to visit the restored Victorian railway station which contains a huge selection of woollens and craft items for sale and be photographed beside the longest place name in the world.

It has been suggested that the correct pronunciation of the name should be used as a citizenship test for English people intending to move to Wales. (For further information see http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/sep/04/wales)

(Its official site, www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk, is also the longest domain name in the world).
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A few examples May 6, 2009

I've always found the French word "cacahuète" ( peanut) extremely funny. Perhaps because it's peanut beginning with " ca ca " heh.

Apparently, the only English word that doesn't rhyme with anything is " orange".

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
French to English
Fruit trees in French May 6, 2009

The words for most fruit trees are formed as below:
pommes(=apples) come from a pommier(=apple tree)
poires (=pears) come from a poirier (=pear tree)
citrons (=lemons) come from a citronnier (lemon tree)

but peuple(=people) doesn't come from a peuplier (poplar), and fromage(=cheese) doesn't come from a fromager (=kapok tree)

Kathryn

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That theory gets worse in Portuguese May 6, 2009

Kathryn Sanderson wrote:
The words for most fruit trees are formed as below:
pommes(=apples) come from a pommier(=apple tree)
poires (=pears) come from a poirier (=pear tree)
citrons (=lemons) come from a citronnier (lemon tree)
but peuple(=people) doesn't come from a peuplier (poplar), and fromage(=cheese) doesn't come from a fromager (=kapok tree)

Who sells what in Portuguese (BR)?

peixes (fish) are sold by the peixeiro (fishmonger)
leite (milk) is sold by the leiteiro (milkman)

... but carne (meat) is not sold by the carneiro (lamb)
and banha (lard) is not sold by the banheiro (bathroom)!

(FYI banho is bath, and açougueiro is butcher)

David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Cut & paste? May 7, 2009

[quote]Tim Drayton wrote:

[quote]Paul Dixon wrote: The longest place name in the world is:
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWY* *NDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH.

Oh dear... the letter "r" is missing from your initial post - between the asterisks. See their site...

I once read that a place name in Maori was invented to snatch the title away from Wales, but I don't think it caught on, somehow.

Best wishes

David

Word_Wise
Word_Wise  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:15
English to Romanian
+ ...
plural for "blood" May 7, 2009

Romanian - no plural form for "blood" ?!?!?!

Does it have a plural form in your languages?

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blood: in Spanish, plural in theory yes May 7, 2009

Alla Sion wrote:

Romanian - no plural form for "blood" ?!?!?!

Does it have a plural form in your languages?

Hi Alla,

I just checked my latest edition of grammar in Spanish and, although "blood" (sangre) is basically a "non-countable" noun, it says that you can actually apply the plural even to non-countable nouns, so in theory you could say "sangres" (see http://es.wiktionary.org/wiki/sangre ).

Furthermore, I tried to check if "sangre" is among the "singularia tantum" cases (meaning, nouns that can only be used in singular), and "sangre" was not one of the examples given.

Still, I can't remember having ever read any text containing "las sangres" (plural), but maybe it's just that me in particular never happened to find such an example.

On a more "stereotyping"/fun/literary note (just kidding...), I find it intriguing that there is no plural for "blood" in Romanian. Maybe it has to do with the old vampire tradition of blood and Romanian Count Dracula?

Cheers,

Ivette

P.S.: just editing to add that, as usual, you can always find examples of everything in Google. So I searched for "las sangres" and found:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=es&safe=active&q="las%20sangres"&btnG=Buscar&lr=

[Edited at 2009-05-07 10:32 GMT]

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:15
Russian to English
Yep: wrong May 7, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev's surname in Russian is Хрущев (six letters - the "e" is actually pronounced "o"), in English Khrushchev (10 letters), in German Khruschtschow (12 letters), and in French Khrouchtchov (12 letters) (If I'm wrong about the French or German, I'm sure someone will let me know).

The German has 13 letters

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:15
Japanese to English
+ ...
Bangkok May 8, 2009

David Moore wrote:

I once read that a place name in Maori was invented to snatch the title away from Wales, but I don't think it caught on, somehow.

Best wishes

David

There's a short article that mentions the Maori name here http://www.thailandlife.com/ericshackle/placename.html

It also says (and there was a program about it on Japanese TV too some time ago - it's on TV so it has to be true, right?) that the official name of Bangkok, Thailand is actually the longest place name in the world.

lauraest
lauraest
Local time: 01:15
English to Estonian
Estonian word May 3, 2011

Spencer Allman wrote:

There is a word in Estonian that has four a's with two dots over them (umlauts) in a row

can't remember what it is, though

The word is "jäääär" or "jäääärne" - it means '(near) the edge of ice'.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Slipping? May 3, 2011

lauraest wrote:
The word is "jäääär" or "jäääärne" - it means '(near) the edge of ice'.

Near on which side of the ice?

From what I guess it may sound like, not speaking Estonian, I'd interpret this word as:
"Help! I'm slipping past the edge of the ice!"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguistic Curiosities

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »