Autor de la hebra: Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
Reino Unido
Local time: 13:52
español al inglés
+ ...
Aug 18, 2011

... don't know where else to put this question.
I am translating a tender document about manufacturing. I always use Tender and Tenderer for the noun and personal noun for UK English - are these terms in common use in the US or is bid /bidder preferred in this context?

Thanks
L

inagiel
inagiel  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:52
inglés al polaco
+ ...
Tender or Tenderer Aug 18, 2011

If you mean "tender" as privilaged, then the correct use in US would be sensitive. Sensitive in this case would refer to documents that are to be viewed only by select, pre-approved group of people not open to all.

[Edited at 2011-08-18 22:01 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
alemán al inglés
bid/bidder common in the US Aug 18, 2011

Here's a US government site for bidder registration:
https://hudhomestore.secureportalk.net/HUD/HUDBidderRegistration.aspx

A state government site:
http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/cmbl/cmblhub.html

"Ten
... See more
Here's a US government site for bidder registration:
https://hudhomestore.secureportalk.net/HUD/HUDBidderRegistration.aspx

A state government site:
http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/cmbl/cmblhub.html

"Tender/tenderer" would also be perfectly understandable to American readers.
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2009
francés al inglés
bid/bidder Aug 19, 2011

I see tender used in the U.S., but the more common term is bid/bidder.

neilmac
neilmac
España
Local time: 14:52
español al inglés
+ ...
Both work Aug 19, 2011

But in my experience "bidder" is more commonly used both in UK and US English (and easier to pronounce!).

For example, I might use tender/er as synonyms to break up the excessive repetition often found in these contexts, but at a lower frequency than bid/der.

[Edited at 2011-08-19 09:16 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canadá
Local time: 06:52
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
Both Aug 19, 2011

Since 'tenderer' is a rather awkward word, it would be ok to use 'tender' and 'bidder' , also to introduce a little variation in the text if they occur frequently.

[Edited at 2011-08-19 15:39 GMT]

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 14:52
francés al inglés
+ ...
Legal writing Aug 19, 2011

I wouldn't worry whether to use bid/bidder or tender/tenderer, they are both used internationally. But I am rather surprised that some people are advising to use them interchangeably within a single text. Legal writing is precise and repetition is not only acceptable, but often essential. I would never refer to a bidder as a tenderer or vice versa just to vary the text and "improve the style." If there are disputes later over the text or the contract, the question could arise whether these a... See more
I wouldn't worry whether to use bid/bidder or tender/tenderer, they are both used internationally. But I am rather surprised that some people are advising to use them interchangeably within a single text. Legal writing is precise and repetition is not only acceptable, but often essential. I would never refer to a bidder as a tenderer or vice versa just to vary the text and "improve the style." If there are disputes later over the text or the contract, the question could arise whether these are different parties.Collapse

Teresa Reinhardt
Teresa Reinhardt  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 05:52
Miembro 2002
alemán al inglés
+ ...
With Mark Aug 20, 2011

For AE, I would prefer bid/bidder, BUT in a technical/legal text, I would never vary (that must come from the German horror repetitionis, but believe me, it does not exist in EN, esp. where precision is required.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To the Americans out there - More lexis than linguistics but

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »