"chain" or "network" when referring to transnational corporations?
Thread poster: anita_storm
anita_storm
anita_storm
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2011

Hello everybody.
Please, help me to choose the best variant and to grasp the difference. I've come across both "retail chain" and "retail network" in the Internet in regad to big retail corporations, and I am a bit confused, which is the best.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.
When we mean a number of stores/hypermarkets/hotels within one country, "chain" is more common.But when it comes to international/global/multinational/transnational corporations, wouldn't it be better
... See more
Hello everybody.
Please, help me to choose the best variant and to grasp the difference. I've come across both "retail chain" and "retail network" in the Internet in regad to big retail corporations, and I am a bit confused, which is the best.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.
When we mean a number of stores/hypermarkets/hotels within one country, "chain" is more common.But when it comes to international/global/multinational/transnational corporations, wouldn't it be better to use "network"?
"network of shops" is given the first in Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Please, resolve my doubts.
Collapse

Mark Cole
Mark Cole  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
Polish to English
+ ...
Wouldn't it be better to ask this as a KudoZ question? Oct 7, 2011

As far as I'm aware, 'retail chain' refers one particular brand, whether it's within one country or multinational.
'Retail network' is used for 'retailers' in general (e.g. in a country, a town, etc). It doesn't imply they operate under a single name/brand.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Network is bigger Oct 7, 2011

anita_storm wrote:

Please, resolve my doubts.

По-моему:

I think a chain is more linear, whereas a network is more spread out, like a spiderweb, and could include several chains.
For example in the UK, Tesco is a chain of supermarkets, but if they joined up with other companies in same sector, such as ASDA, or Waitrose, to use a shared logistic centre, for example, then that could be described as a network.

Удачи!

anita_storm
anita_storm
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a big Thank You to everyone Oct 9, 2011

Thank you very much for answering,
everything you wrote was really heplful!

2 Mark Cole:
I'm new to this site and just starting to learn all its advantages. Thank you for KudoZ!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"chain" or "network" when referring to transnational corporations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »