Native English speaker input on grammar construction - "I was made a pair of shoes"
Thread poster: metsch
metsch
metsch
Portugal
Sep 24, 2021

Hello, all,

First and foremost, I hope you are fine.

I would like to clarify a doubt I have on English grammar, regarding a phrasing I've actually seen native speakers use.

Could a native please confirm that "I was made a pair of shoes/she was made a car" is the same as "a pair of shoes was made for me/a car was made for her"? Is the first form correct, though used less often? Is it absolutely grammatically incorrect?

Thank you very much
... See more
Hello, all,

I would like to clarify a doubt I have on English grammar, regarding a phrasing I've actually seen native speakers use.

Could a native please confirm that "I was made a pair of shoes/she was made a car" is the same as "a pair of shoes was made for me/a car was made for her"? Is the first form correct, though used less often? Is it absolutely grammatically incorrect?

Thank you very much for your help on this.

Best regards!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Colloquial Sep 24, 2021

metsch wrote:

Hello, all,

Thank you very much for your help on this.

Best regards!

It's colloquial and, possibly, more Irish than English (I'm Irish). You might say something like this in conversation but not in print (unless it's a script or something someone says in a novel).

[Edited at 2021-09-24 16:58 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Alex Ossa
Philip Lees
Tina Vonhof (X)

CARL HARRIS
CARL HARRIS
United States
Local time: 17:57
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
New topic [Native English speaker input on grammar construction - "I was made a pair of shoes"] Sep 24, 2021

That certainly is not from Native English speakers in Canada or the USA.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Robert Forstag
MollyRose

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:57
French to English
+ ...
Yes, colloquial Sep 24, 2021

Agree with Tom, definitely colloquial. Grammatically, it's not incorrect (compare "I was given a pair of shoes"), but "made" turns it into a bit of an amphiboly, similarly to
- Could you call me a taxicab?
- Sure, you are a taxicab.

The closest literary expression would be "I had a pair of shoes made".

Philip Lees
Yuvika Kaushik
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Tretyak

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:57
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Colloquial/grammatically incorrect Sep 24, 2021

As Tom said, this could be said in very informal speech, and probably in some areas of the UK or Ireland, but not elsewhere. Even in the UK, most well-educated people would not speak like that colloquially.

"I was made a pair of shoes" would most likely be "I had a pair of shoes made" (still coll.) or "Someone made me a pair of shoes" or, alternatively (but perhaps less likely because passive voice *eugh*) your own suggestions.

It's unlikely someone would understand t
... See more
As Tom said, this could be said in very informal speech, and probably in some areas of the UK or Ireland, but not elsewhere. Even in the UK, most well-educated people would not speak like that colloquially.

"I was made a pair of shoes" would most likely be "I had a pair of shoes made" (still coll.) or "Someone made me a pair of shoes" or, alternatively (but perhaps less likely because passive voice *eugh*) your own suggestions.

It's unlikely someone would understand the speaker was turned into a pair of shoes by someone else, which is the grammatical meaning of the original sentence, unless in an Alice In Wonderland type of context.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Christine Andersen

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:57
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Just another way of saying … Sep 24, 2021

A pair of shoes was made for me.
They made a pair of shoes for me.
They made me a pair of shoes.

English grammar rule:
The indirect object in an active sentence can become the subject in a passive sentence.

They/someone gave me a pair of shoes.
I was given a pair of shoes.

Philip Lees
Christine Andersen
MollyRose

metsch
metsch
Portugal
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, all. Sep 24, 2021

Thank you very much for all of your insights.

My main question was clarified: it is NOT grammatically incorrect, especially taking into account one of the examples provided, which I also had in mind: "I was given a pair of shoes"—exactly, and amphiboly was indeed what I was thinking of; though, as also pointed out, it's highly unlikely someone would understand that the speaker was turned into/promoted to a pair of shoes.

I had heard UK English natives use this, so wa
... See more
Thank you very much for all of your insights.

My main question was clarified: it is NOT grammatically incorrect, especially taking into account one of the examples provided, which I also had in mind: "I was given a pair of shoes"—exactly, and amphiboly was indeed what I was thinking of; though, as also pointed out, it's highly unlikely someone would understand that the speaker was turned into/promoted to a pair of shoes.

I had heard UK English natives use this, so was sure it was colloquial, though not as sure regarding grammatical correctness.

Thank you very much for your help.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Compare with 'I was given a pair of shoes' Sep 25, 2021

I would not write the sentence like that, and would probably not say it, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if someone said it in the parts of England where I grew up.

Grammatically it is very similar to 'I was given a pair of shoes'.

After reading everybody else's comments and thinking about it, the expression suggests to me that the initiative might have come from someone else. Perhaps the shop did not have what I wanted in my size, so they had the shoes ma
... See more
I would not write the sentence like that, and would probably not say it, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if someone said it in the parts of England where I grew up.

Grammatically it is very similar to 'I was given a pair of shoes'.

After reading everybody else's comments and thinking about it, the expression suggests to me that the initiative might have come from someone else. Perhaps the shop did not have what I wanted in my size, so they had the shoes made, or someone ordered the shoes for me, but I am not sure everyone would make the distinction.
I had a pair of shoes made, or even 'My mother had a pair of shoes made for me' (because I was too young to order them myself) would be more standard.
Collapse

Edward Potter
Sonia Hill

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Totally OK in British English Sep 25, 2021

I was made a cake for my birthday

Totally correct

I’m just not saying who by

But then the only kind of person who could afford hand-made shoes would probably go the whole hog and say they had a pair of shoes made…

Edward Potter
Ventnai
Christine Andersen

metsch
metsch
Portugal
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 25, 2021

Once more, thank you all for your input!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:57
German to English
+ ...
Canada Sep 26, 2021

CARL HARRIS wrote:

That certainly is not from Native English speakers in Canada or the USA.

I have heard this construction used in Canada - by native English speakers, and may have used it myself. Though I'm more likely to say "I had a pair of shoes made for me."

Arabic & More

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Native English speaker input on grammar construction - "I was made a pair of shoes"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »