Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
cliches Jan 15, 2023

"or what" = "estas loco o que?

Not forgetting "he's got a lot on his plate".

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let me know if you have any questions Jan 15, 2023

Look at this one: ”Let me know if you have any questions.“

I know it is a correct and idiomatic expression but I'm tempted to read it as "Let me know whether you have any questions or not, " for which I would only need to give a Yes/No answer. I don't really need to let you know what my question is.

I'm just kidding. Seriously.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You know Jan 15, 2023

You know what I'm saying/what I mean?

[Edited at 2023-01-15 16:20 GMT]

Adieu
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not very good English Jan 15, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:

Very, very + adjective
Super to mean very, very.

I've been taught that using very, very + adjective is not good English.
As to "super", I get the impression that young people tend to use it more often than older people, as in "He's super cool".

BTW, this term "super" has been loaned to the German language, and it is used as the same meaning as "great", ("Das ist super" or simply "Super!") also often among youngsters.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Totally agreed Jan 15, 2023

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

Very, very + adjective
Super to mean very, very.

I've been taught that using very, very + adjective is not good English.
As to "super", I get the impression that young people tend to use it more often than older people, as in "He's super cool".

BTW, this term "super" has been loaned to the German language, and it is used as the same meaning as "great", ("Das ist super" or simply "Super!") also often among youngsters.

"Super" has also made its way into Chinese. The literal Chinese translation of "super" is becoming very, very trendy among youngsters in China, particularly in elementary schools.

[Edited at 2023-01-15 09:50 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 22:04
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
¿Estás loco, o qué? Jan 15, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

"or what" = "estas loco o que?

Sorry, Michael, I don't intend to correct you, but it is something missing there... "Are you crazy, or what?"

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rocket science, or not Jan 16, 2023

This is not rocket science.

Roelf Dijkhuis
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Now I start cringing (if to refer to another popular thread on this forum) Jan 18, 2023

I've been suffering a few days (with a few more ahead) over several lengthy judgments (oh how many redundant words... what a variety of highly sophisticated ways to beat around the same bush) of one very honourable bla-bla justice from some recent proceedings in English courts. I winced on a few 'going forward's first, and then started to laugh out loud on the 'north of'... All of these and some other cliches came up on this thread above. But this text is 90% cliches, confidentiality alone preve... See more
I've been suffering a few days (with a few more ahead) over several lengthy judgments (oh how many redundant words... what a variety of highly sophisticated ways to beat around the same bush) of one very honourable bla-bla justice from some recent proceedings in English courts. I winced on a few 'going forward's first, and then started to laugh out loud on the 'north of'... All of these and some other cliches came up on this thread above. But this text is 90% cliches, confidentiality alone prevents me from sharing this treasure with you [guys:]Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Are these clichés? Jan 18, 2023

It strikes me that almost all of the "clichés" in this thread are just phrases or new jargon that people don't happen to like.

For example, I would argue that "going forward" has its place in English, as there are times when "in the future" just doesn't work. "North of" is also a welcome new option for a Scandi translator having to deal with "drygt".

English has always been a colourful and rapidly evolving language full of metaphor and innovation. Sometimes these thing
... See more
It strikes me that almost all of the "clichés" in this thread are just phrases or new jargon that people don't happen to like.

For example, I would argue that "going forward" has its place in English, as there are times when "in the future" just doesn't work. "North of" is also a welcome new option for a Scandi translator having to deal with "drygt".

English has always been a colourful and rapidly evolving language full of metaphor and innovation. Sometimes these things get overused, for sure, but generally they do have a slightly different meaning and add to the language in some way; otherwise they wouldn't come about.

My partner speaks fluent corporatese at work. I hear her on Zoom calls and cringe. Outside work, she talks perfectly normally. But I'm not sure she could navigate the world of "narrative" and "traction" and so on without resorting to corporatese. The world has changed, and to extent the language has to go with it.
Collapse

Metin Demirel
Becca Resnik
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Baran Keki

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here's another one Jan 20, 2023

One million vaccines, Covid booster and flu, delivered this winter, say public health officials

I HATE "DELIVERED".

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
More really annoying ones Jan 21, 2023

On the helpline to my mobile phone provider:

1. "Can you help me with your date of birth?"
2. "Can you share your full address please?"

Roelf Dijkhuis
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:04
English to Turkish
'the' shit Jan 21, 2023

Another (old) annoying American expression... I don't see it used very often these days.
I remember reading a comment on an Iron Maiden video on Youtube more than 12 years ago, which said something along the lines of "Up the Irons! Maiden is the shit", and somebody replied to him saying "You are a shit" and receiving shit loads of upvotes (including mine). Served him right I thought...

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Accepted offer" May 4, 2023

If you see a plate that reads "accepted offer" hanging in front of a property for sale, are you tempted to wonder why it is not written as "offer accepted?"

I guess not, because "offer accepted" could also mean "offer is now being accepted."

I also guess "accepted offer" should be the only feasible phrase for a real estate agent to express the meaning intended. But, is it natural and grammatically sound?

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:04
English to Italian
+ ...
YES! May 5, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Isn't this airport-speak?

"Passengers are kindly requested to proceed to the departure gate"

And similar instructions. I've never heard the phrase "are kindly requested" in any other context, but it's a standard phrase in airport announcements. It's probably how airline management imagine that "proper" English speakers address each other when they're trying to be polite.

Maybe it's just spilled over into other areas.

This made me laugh so much.
This is said in airports AND on airplanes.
Most of these are just masked orders, really. These are things you have to do, otherwise there will be consequences.

"Passengers are kindly requested to proceed to gate 19 for immediate boarding" (see, the request may be kind, but the boarding has to be immediate), otherwise you will cause the flight to be late, or you will be cancelled from the flight.

"Passengers are kindly requested to return to their seat and fasten their seatbelt", for example in case of turbulence, because if you don't do it, and heaven forbid you get hurt, not only will you get hurt, but insurance won't even pay you, because you didn't follow the order you had been given.

So I would say that "kindly", in such instances, is just used to mitigate the tone of the order that follows.

Kevin Fulton wrote:

This may be an Americanism, a variant on "Have a nice day!", but I have to resist the temptation to ask "A good what?"

This was literally my answer the first time I heard this, many moons ago.
I genuinely didn't get it at the time, and I still dislike it to this day.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What cliches do you dislike the most?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »