Hiromasa Funaki  Identity Verified
Japon
Local time: 13:22
anglais vers japonais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
J-E project Jun 28, 2018

Katalin,

Yes, I was requested to translate Japanese governmental notifications into English. The source file only provided was a monochrome copy in which many Japanese characters were hard to be identified. I did not know it was a only source when I accepted the project (in many J-E projects, the source files are made by manual typing and fed from job providers to translators).

It is impossible for a translator to accurately estimate the actual time spent to comp
... See more
Katalin,

Yes, I was requested to translate Japanese governmental notifications into English. The source file only provided was a monochrome copy in which many Japanese characters were hard to be identified. I did not know it was a only source when I accepted the project (in many J-E projects, the source files are made by manual typing and fed from job providers to translators).

It is impossible for a translator to accurately estimate the actual time spent to complete a project, especially if unknown parameters are included in the project. Typically, proofreading and MTPE (machine translation post-editing) are those (the time required depends on the quality in the preceding process), and also requests to do QA checks, forced assignment of unfamiliar CAT tool, and split source texts are.

I started a negotiation with the agency when I realized this problem, but they rejected my request before I refer to a certain amount. They once accepted my target file and requested me to deliver the TMX file, but after I rejected their order, they rejected to pay me, because they had to assign another translator and make him/her translate it from scratch. Please consider whether or not their action to create the TMX file was reasonable or cost effective.

Note: I received an e-mail from this company several days after I delivered the target file. An English file which was originally prepared by me and native-checked and modified by someone was attached for my reference. But they insists they disposed my work and requested another translator to translate it from scratch.

It may be time to conclude this topic.

I acknowledge that I was careless when I accepted the project. I overlooked the TMX file requirement.
On the other hand the agent was not also flawless. They should have ordered clearly that I had to deliver TMX file by retyping the Japanese texts without additional payment. If they had done so, I could understand the situation properly.

[2018-06-28 06:18 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 23:22
Membre (2008)
croate vers anglais
+ ...
Bad faith.... Jun 28, 2018

The request for a TMX file with an uneditable and un-OCR-able pdf is so absurd, that I would have assumed it was left over from incomplete adaptation of a PO template (though I hope I would have caught it and asked about it). It sounds like it wasn't a real requirement - someone just happened to notice later and figured, hey, why not get some free work out of you and they have nothing to lose by asking. Or they put it in the hope that you wouldn't notice and they could stick you with it later. E... See more
The request for a TMX file with an uneditable and un-OCR-able pdf is so absurd, that I would have assumed it was left over from incomplete adaptation of a PO template (though I hope I would have caught it and asked about it). It sounds like it wasn't a real requirement - someone just happened to notice later and figured, hey, why not get some free work out of you and they have nothing to lose by asking. Or they put it in the hope that you wouldn't notice and they could stick you with it later. Every agency client I've worked with has gone out of their way to highlight any unusual or non-standard requests; not to do so can only be described as underhanded.Collapse

Anais Koechlin
Jean Dimitriadis

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 06:22
Membre (2003)
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Blue Board Jun 29, 2018

Please review this company on the Blue Board. (https://www.proz.com/blueboard)

You would be doing the rest of us a favor by letting us know your experiences and opinions about them.

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No payment because of no delivering TMX file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »