Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 22:25
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Misunderstood Feb 12

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Will you also save your neck, hands, eyes? You do realize that you will get very tired on a big volume, most likely resulting in drowsiness and turning down other projects.

Are you saying you won’t get tired or have sore body parts if you charge full price? 😂

I'm saying that since you'll get tired through intense work (the alleged big volume) that factor should be incorporated into the price (no discount).

They use production facility analogy in which our brain and body is a commodity on an assembly line. Won't work, as much as they'd like to, because it's simply not based on anything realistic.

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Marina Aleyeva

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Send us your CV Feb 12

Lefteris Kritikakis wrote:

Then I can definitely see a linguist who's struggling to fill their agenda accept a volume discount to secure a long-term project, but I still don't think it's "right".

They promise you 20,000 to start, you get a total of 25,000 (if they're honest), you get paid for 15,000.
Proz should make a survey among those working 20+ years in the industry: "How many of the promises about long-term projects actually materialized?" Beginner's bait to lower your price. A large agency had a real long-term project last year for a major retailer. The first files were ok. After two weeks, you ended up "processing" files full of MT and TM matches on a slow online system, average pay resulted in less than $6/hour. Obviously at that point I quit, same day, and asked the PM to reassign my files to anyone else.

"Send us your CV", and "free test" are the biggest beginner's baits. When I see one of those phrases, I know it's time to steer away. Because they both indicate they don't have any project on the table at all (but they freely lie they do).

Lefteris Kritikakis
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Marina Aleyeva
Robert Rietvelt
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 15:25
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Everybody now has 'thousands of translators' on the books Feb 13

Lingua 5B wrote: "Send us your CV", and "free test" are the biggest beginner's baits.

I'm not saying that the offer in this thread is not legitimate (it may be), but during slow periods in 2006-2007 I signed up for dozens of agencies asking me for CV, etc, and a few months or couple of years later they didn't exist. Small agencies pop-out like mushrooms, lead by 1-2 people. Cost of opening an agency in the US: about $250 for an LLC. If they get enough signed NDAs/Agreements in their files, and about 40-50 small clients, they can potentially sell the business to a larger agency. Free labor force with signed docs and all their information, rates, and tests on file.
Problem with translators is that they are agreeable introverts, they feel isolated from social/business environments, all alone in a corner, anything the "master" throws at them looks delicious. It's in the Proz_Rate_Calculator too: how many grams of rice do you need to survive little guy?

[Edited at 2024-02-13 03:18 GMT]

Tanja Oresnik

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good deal Feb 13

Don’t overthink the rate per word. Think of the sleepless nights, restless days and all that energy and concentration that slowly start fading away. Still not making enough money to make the ends meet? Work more, work harder! Don’t overthink your income. It's ours that metters, not yours.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Or as we would say in Spain, “¿dónde hay que firmar?".

[Editado a las 2024-02-13 07:35 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Marina Aleyeva
Magnus Rubensson
Philip Lees

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Introverts Feb 13

Lingua 5B wrote: "Send us your CV", and "free test" are the biggest beginner's baits.

I'm not saying that the offer in this thread is not legitimate (it may be), but during slow periods in 2006-2007 I signed up for dozens of agencies asking me for CV, etc, and a few months or couple of years later they didn't exist. Small agencies pop-out like mushrooms, lead by 1-2 people. Cost of opening an agency in the US: about $250 for an LLC. If they get enough signed NDAs/Agreements in their files, and about 40-50 small clients, they can potentially sell the business to a larger agency. Free labor force with signed docs and all their information, rates, and tests on file.
Problem with translators is that they are agreeable introverts, they feel isolated from social/business environments, all alone in a corner, anything the "master" throws at them looks delicious. It's in the Proz_Rate_Calculator too: how many grams of rice do you need to survive little guy?

We are not all introverts, and being an introvert doesn't mean you aren't able to stand up for yourself in any case.

The real problem is that the way we work as translators isolates us and puts us in a weak negotiating position. This environment means that important skills are lost or never developed. And there is no minimum wage legislation or employment rights for translators.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Lieven Malaise
Dan Lucas
Lingua 5B
Philip Lees

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Missundaztood Feb 13

Lingua 5B wrote:
I'm saying that since you'll get tired through intense work (the alleged big volume) that factor should be incorporated into the price (no discount).

I know. A laughing emoji normally means that somebody is joking…

Anyway, big projects don’t have to involve time pressure or long hours.

Even in the extreme case in point, it may not be as bad a deal as it appears, because not all words are created equal.

Lingua 5B

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Micro projects Feb 13

Micro projects are a nuisance as well.
I recently received a job posting, proofreading a legal document for Switzerland - 200 words, 0.02 € per word. Makes an overwhelming total of 4 €!
Needless to say that a CV was asked in order to qualify for this job…
Wouldn’t it be possible to require a minimum payment to be able to post jobs on ProZ?

Christopher Schröder
Thomas Blicker
Marina Aleyeva
Tom in London
Magnus Rubensson
P.L.F. Persio

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being tired Feb 13

I translate large projects on a regular basis and I don't see why a large project would be more tiring than a smaller one. I don't translate more hours a day because of a large project (unless I start to procrastinate, but that's another story). It's all the same. I would even say they are more comfortable. Once you are past the terminology research phase (mostly the first couple of hours) they often feel like a joyride.

Christopher Schröder
ibz
Rachel Waddington
Dan Lucas
Magnus Rubensson
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I met Feb 13

Rachel Waddington wrote:

We are not all introverts, and being an introvert doesn't mean you aren't able to stand up for yourself in any case.

The real problem is that the way we work as translators isolates us and puts us in a weak negotiating position. This environment means that important skills are lost or never developed. And there is no minimum wage legislation or employment rights for translators.

I met many translators in real life and none of them were introverts, quite the contrary. Not sure if they are on ProZ though, don’t think so.

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I translate large projects on a regular basis and I don't see why a large project would be more tiring than a smaller one. I don't translate more hours a day because of a large project (unless I start to procrastinate, but that's another story). It's all the same. I would even say they are more comfortable. Once you are past the terminology research phase (mostly the first couple of hours) they often feel like a joyride.

That depends on what you are translating, but monotony can be tiring.

[Edited at 2024-02-13 13:46 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:25
Greek to English
Training Feb 14

Lingua 5B wrote:
"Send us your CV", and "free test" are the biggest beginner's baits. When I see one of those phrases, I know it's time to steer away. Because they both indicate they don't have any project on the table at all (but they freely lie they do).

I recently got a "long-term collaboration" offer that asked me to confirm my "interest/comfort" in learning their own CAT tool if provided with the necessary training.

I replied that "I can confirm my willingness to learn it, provided that I will be paid for my training time at the hourly rate
above, and that you can first confirm that you will offer me at least 500 euros worth of work during the first two months of our collaboration."

I'm not expecting to hear from them again, but you never know.

[Edited to remove surplus double quote]

[Edited at 2024-02-14 07:02 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Hans Lenting
P.L.F. Persio
Lingua 5B
Dan Lucas
ibz
Kay Denney

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 14

Lorenzo Meloni wrote:

Honestly, after many years, I still don't understand why volume discounts should even be a thing in translation.
Sure, they make sense if you have a machine printing pieces, where the higher the volume, the lower your fixed costs per piece.
But as a linguist there is no economy of scale, you'll always output the same amount of words per hour, regardless of whether you're translating a 1000 or 10 million.

I think it may have made sense to a certain extent in the days before CAT tools. A large job would involve a lot of repetition and thus recycling. You could just search/replace all those 100% matches and so a little discount wouldn't hurt you. Now that CAT tools take care of them (while also making us do stupid QA things where you waste time endlessly adding and deleting spaces before and after the CAT tool's tabs) and agencies discount repetitions as a matter of course, it doesn't make sense in the least.

Lieven Malaise
Rachel Waddington
Kirk Jackson

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Feb 14

Kay Denney wrote:
I think it may have made sense to a certain extent in the days before CAT tools. A large job would involve a lot of repetition and thus recycling. You could just search/replace all those 100% matches and so a little discount wouldn't hurt you. Now that CAT tools take care of them (while also making us do stupid QA things where you waste time endlessly adding and deleting spaces before and after the CAT tool's tabs) and agencies discount repetitions as a matter of course, it doesn't make sense in the least.

Indeed, it only makes sense for non-CAT tool users.

But I have been a CAT tool user my entire career, and still I have got quite a lot of requests to apply a volume discount (I suppose they think trying doesn't hurt). Not any more in recent years though, my clients probably know by now that I don't work that way and I simply say no.

Rachel Waddington

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:25
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Maybe if you're living in a cheap country, Feb 17

Lieven Malaise wrote:

If you want to have a good laugh, followed by a really good cry. Quite amazing. (credits: Mind Huntress on Facebook)

424589787_7165280180174485_1095034954808601500_n

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-12 14:10 GMT]

600 USD may suffice.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:25
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
. Feb 17

Lingua 5B wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

"Don't overthink"... right. I shall make a rash decision based purely on gut feeling. My gut is screaming "noooooooooooooooooooooo!". Sorry 'bout that!

Mind control: don’t overthink.

The text is hilariously worded. Attach CV by uploading it? Are there ways to attach something other than uploading it? “Lace your shoes by using your fingers”.

Where do they find these assistants and project managers, how do they source them? Just based on that letter, I would turn down the offer, even in the case of a good rate. I can’t trust a company whose employees don’t know how to write.

Because the employer who hires these employees does not overthink and hires them on a gut feeling.

P.L.F. Persio

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Still not right Feb 17

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

600 USD may suffice.

Doesn't make it right, though. It's like telling someone we're going to pay you peanuts, but in return, we let you work 80 instead of 40 hours a week.

If you're working non-stop for nothing, you might make 600 USD, but you won't have time to build up a strong client base (yes, I know that this is not easy!) and I dare say that the quality of your work is not going to improve.

And not to forget: If you've got a client supplying you with huge volumes (at low prices), you're going to be very much depending on them. Everyone can figure out what this might lead to.

Lieven Malaise
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Magnus Rubensson

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next-level LSP shamelessness

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »