Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Step by step to creating a glossary from Excel file?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:59
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done and dusted Aug 18, 2011

Thanks all for your input.

Trying to solve this issue in OmegaT was a good opportunity to take a round trip of this app.

Still not sure why my .txt files were not accepted as glossaries by OmegaT as they are completely similar to elm0505's one (and yes, i triple checked the encoding), so will drop an email to their support.

Now, i guess it is time to put this topic to bed...

Cheerio!

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
Local time: 21:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
utf-8 Aug 19, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

elm0505 wrote:
save it with different encodings (Unicode, UTF-8, etc.) Try which one suits you best.

Nothing to try. Just make it UTF-8 and you are on the safe side.

Regarding this, I've translated texts that included words in Turkish (using Turkish characters), and if I save source text in UTF-8 I get a very strange text when I open it in Omega T. If I save it as ANSI, no problem at all. I don't really understand this encoding thig, but I guess it should be discussed on another thread.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep, it is not that clear cut Aug 19, 2011

Yes, it does not look as simple as "get the format right and all will be fine".

But anyway, it does not matter. The glossary you created for me works. I initially had this idea that known entry of the glossary would trigger some sort of contextual help in the translation.

But the way it works is fine: it just tells me i have an accepted translation for some wording, i have to type them in once and the get into the TMX.

Again, thx elm0505

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:59
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Source file? Aug 19, 2011

elm0505 wrote:

Regarding this, I've translated texts that included words in Turkish (using Turkish characters), and if I save source text in UTF-8

Do you mean, you save the source file to UTF-8? Then you must change the file name extension to .utf8 (which is, inter alia specified in the user manual) or modify the text file filter settings to accept .txt files as UTF-8.

With glossary files, the situation is different: .txt is treated as UTF-8 by default.

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
Local time: 21:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
ok Aug 19, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

elm0505 wrote:

Regarding this, I've translated texts that included words in Turkish (using Turkish characters), and if I save source text in UTF-8

Do you mean, you save the source file to UTF-8? Then you must change the file name extension to .utf8 (which is, inter alia specified in the user manual) or modify the text file filter settings to accept .txt files as UTF-8.

With glossary files, the situation is different: .txt is treated as UTF-8 by default.

I'm gonna try that, I'll keep you informed.

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 04:59
Japanese to French
+ ...
OmegaT glossary with Excel 2010 Aug 28, 2011

The easiest way to create an OmegaT (2.3) glossary from Excel 2010 (i.e. on Mac) is the following:

- make sure source words and target words are in 2 adjacent columns with source on the left and target on the right
- select the glossary items only, copy them
- open TextEdit, make sure you are in "text only" mode (hit Command+Shit+T if you see formatting menus at the top of the window)
- paste the contents of the Excel file into the TextEdit window (this adds tabs b
... See more
The easiest way to create an OmegaT (2.3) glossary from Excel 2010 (i.e. on Mac) is the following:

- make sure source words and target words are in 2 adjacent columns with source on the left and target on the right
- select the glossary items only, copy them
- open TextEdit, make sure you are in "text only" mode (hit Command+Shit+T if you see formatting menus at the top of the window)
- paste the contents of the Excel file into the TextEdit window (this adds tabs between the contents of the cells)
- "Save as" UTF-8. TextEdit will add the .txt extension for you if you don't add any. Stick to .txt in any case.

I just tried with an on going project and that works.

If you want to use that contents as a TMX, use CSVConvertor.

I am not aware of a way to save an Excel file into UTF-8 CSV from within Excel 2010. Excel 2010 saves in UTF-16.

You can also save the file in CSV from Excel, open it in TextWrangler and select a new encoding from there. That file (with a .csv extension this time) will work fine in OmegaT too.
Collapse

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 04:59
Japanese to French
+ ...
Inserting OmegaT glossary terms in the target field Aug 28, 2011

BabelOn-line wrote:

I initially had this idea that known entry of the glossary would trigger some sort of contextual help in the translation.

But the way it works is fine: it just tells me i have an accepted translation for some wording, i have to type them in once and the get into the TMX.

In OmegaT's "Options" menu you have a "Transtips" item with an "Enable Transtips" option.

If you trigger it, you'll see that source terms matching items in the glossary file are displayed with a blue underline. Right click on them and you'll be able to select the corresponding target term for insertion at the cursor position.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci, Jean-Christophe Aug 30, 2011

C'est exactement ce qu'il me fallait.

J'ai reçu plein de réponses à ce topic mais souvent assez vagues. La vôtre est parfaite.

Merci beaucoup pour ce step by step parfaitement clair - et adapté à un environnement Mac.

Bonne journée

Jean-Louis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Step by step to creating a glossary from Excel file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »