Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:50
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2011

I cannot get Google Translate to work, been trying on and off for 2 weeks with kind advice from the OmegaT forum on Yahoo. However, next to not liking the message string layout there, my replies don't always get posted despite a notice that they've been received so I've given up there and moved over here.

Also tried making a script as instructed in the blog below but it did not connect with the OmegaT application. I am waiting for a reply from the blogger regarding this failure.
... See more
I cannot get Google Translate to work, been trying on and off for 2 weeks with kind advice from the OmegaT forum on Yahoo. However, next to not liking the message string layout there, my replies don't always get posted despite a notice that they've been received so I've given up there and moved over here.

Also tried making a script as instructed in the blog below but it did not connect with the OmegaT application. I am waiting for a reply from the blogger regarding this failure.
japanesetranslator.co.uk/2011/11/omegat-google-translate-v2-mac-os-x/

The set up:
iMac PowerPC G4 bought in 2003, version 10.5.8
iMac intel core i5, bought in 2011, version 10.7.2 (Lion)
OmegaT 2.3.0_3 ( appears in the MT window but no translation)
Text Wrangler was used to enter the api key in the OmegaT plist.

Have created a new API key: didn't work.

I was not so surprised that it didn't work on my old iMac but am perplexed to find the problem repeated on the new one with newly downloaded applications. This could indicate that I am repeating the same mistake(s) but I can't find any.

Looked around in my Google account, and found 'report' in the menu items on the left. The contents read 'plug in missing'. Did not say what or where. Which plug-in could this be and where should it plug in?

There's something else that's odd that may possibly have something to do with the problem. On the new iMac, OmegaT unhelpfully inserts the source text for each segment and that must then be deleted. Nothing I change in the 'view' menu helps and I am at a loss to find a relevant item in the other menus. This will probably turn out to be terribly simple but what caused this and how can I make it stop? Should this turn out to be a definite separate issue, I will happily start a new post on it.

Luckily I carry on very well, if not faster, without the Google suggestions but it is supposed to work after all.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Google Translate API key not working on Mac OS X Lion

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »