Problems - Xubuntu 12.04 with OmegaT
Thread poster: journeyman1962
journeyman1962
journeyman1962
Local time: 14:51
Apr 30, 2012

Hi,

Need some help. Had a huge search round, can't really find anything that sorts out the problems:

Have just installed Xubuntu 12.04 on the laptop in preparation for putting it on the desktop (production computer!)

I'm a freelance translator and use OmegaT A LOT.

I can't get the spellchecker to work despite locating the dictionaries (.aff and .dic) and changing the location directory in OmegaT accordingly (making sure the names are the same a
... See more
Hi,

Need some help. Had a huge search round, can't really find anything that sorts out the problems:

Have just installed Xubuntu 12.04 on the laptop in preparation for putting it on the desktop (production computer!)

I can't get the spellchecker to work despite locating the dictionaries (.aff and .dic) and changing the location directory in OmegaT accordingly (making sure the names are the same and all that, as suggested on the OmegaT forums, among other places).

When selecting some tabs on the options menu - the program hangs, to a degree that I have to reboot the computer.

The OmegaT interface does not respect the desktip theme (It did, automatically, with Gnome on Ubuntu 10.10) - this is a minor problem.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Which version of OmegaT are you using? May 1, 2012

journeyman1962 wrote:

I can't get the spellchecker to work despite locating the dictionaries (.aff and .dic) and changing the location directory in OmegaT accordingly (making sure the names are the same and all that, as suggested on the OmegaT forums, among other places).

When selecting some tabs on the options menu - the program hangs, to a degree that I have to reboot the computer.

The OmegaT interface does not respect the desktip theme (It did, automatically, with Gnome on Ubuntu 10.10) - this is a minor problem.

Which version of OmegaT are you using?

Are you using a version provided by OmegaT?

Are you using a version provided with the JRE?

Didier

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Provide yet more details May 1, 2012

1. What are the languages (the language codes) that you try to spellcheck?
2. Where do your dictionaries come from?
3. What are their filenames?
4. Do the dictionaries work fine with any other program using MySpell/Hunspell?

making sure the names are the same and all that

all that is uninformative and does not give any hint of the problem. You might want to learn asking smart questions [1].

The OmegaT interface does not respect the desktip theme

I guess, it’s about XCFE. Or about Java. Anyway, not in OmegaT scope.

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

[Edited at 2012-05-01 07:50 GMT]

journeyman1962
journeyman1962
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, you're right - apologies for vague post May 1, 2012

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

Didier - thanks for the program - excellent, would be lost without it.

Sorry for the rambling post - it was late last night, and I was a bit tired of trying to sort it out.

The OmegaT version is 2.3.0_1
I installed it from the Ubuntu repositories (Ubuntu Software Centre) under Xubuntu 12.04.
I don't know about the JRE environment question. How can I found out?

The language is English. Files en_GB.aff
... See more
Firstly, thanks for the replies.

Didier - thanks for the program - excellent, would be lost without it.

Sorry for the rambling post - it was late last night, and I was a bit tired of trying to sort it out.

I installed it from the Ubuntu repositories (Ubuntu Software Centre) under Xubuntu 12.04.

The language is English. Files en_GB.aff and en_GB.dic. I copied these over from my desktop (which uses OmegaT 1.8.1_2 under Ubuntu 10.10) into a new folder created inside my home folder (I couldn't remember how to enter file management as root to put them into hunspell).

I then changed the folder name in OmegaT spellcheck box to the folder I had created. The dictionary appeared, but the spellcheck still did not work. I proceeded to change the names of both dictionary and target language code in "project properties" so that they coincided, using all possible combinations of lowercase/uppercase/hyphens/underscores.

My word processor on the Xubuntu 12.04 setup is libreoffice. I haven't used it yet, I've only just installed the new OS.

I think that's all. Thanks.
Tim
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Which English actually? May 1, 2012

journeyman1962 wrote:

The language is English. Files en_GB.aff and en_GB.dic.

Again, which English is it? What language code do you use for the project? If you files are en_GB.*, you project language must be en_GB or en-GB. Or rename (or, better, copy) the two en_GB.* spellcheck files to just en.*.

[Edited at 2012-05-01 11:44 GMT]

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Try OmegaT from omegat.org instead May 1, 2012

journeyman1962 wrote:

When you download OmegaT from omegat.org, there is a Linux version, which contains a JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

It also contains Hunspell, so it doesn't depend on how your system is configured.

So, install OmegaT from omegat.org, and see whether that solves your issue.

Didier

journeyman1962
journeyman1962
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. I'll try that. May 1, 2012

Thanks very much.
Tim

journeyman1962
journeyman1962
TOPIC STARTER
Installed from Omegat.org - partiallly solved May 1, 2012

Replaced Ubuntu package with version direct from omegat-org. This solved the hanging problem, but not spell check. Spellcheck window shows dictionaries but does not activate.. i.e. does not underline. Dict name set exactly same as target language code - en-GB - en-GB

Theme also native. but this probably XFCE problem

Tim

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Double check names of dictionaries May 2, 2012

journeyman1962 wrote:
Replaced Ubuntu package with version direct from omegat-org. This solved the hanging problem, but not spell check. Spellcheck window shows dictionaries but does not activate.. i.e. does not underline. Dict name set exactly same as target language code - en-GB - en-GB

For the dictionary names, it is usually en_GB, not en-GB.

Try with an underscore, of course checking that both files (.aff and .dic) are renamed.

Try also, for the sake of it, to use just EN for the target language, and renaming the dictionaries to en.aff and en.dic.

Didier

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Or… May 2, 2012

Didier Briel wrote:

Try also, for the sake of it, to use just EN for the target language, and renaming the dictionaries to en.aff and en.dic.

Rename the files as Didier advises but leave your target language en_GB or en-GB. Should work.

BTW, is Automatically check the spelling of the text in the spellcheck setup windows ticked?

journeyman1962
journeyman1962
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Will give it a try May 2, 2012

I will try all of that, next time I crank up the laptop.

Thanks very much.

(PS. Yes - window is ticked/checked)

journeyman1962
journeyman1962
TOPIC STARTER
All working - Thank you May 2, 2012

I'd like to be able to give a detailed explanation of what solved it - but I'm not sure how I did it.

Using a variety of combinations en EN en_GB etc... etc... changing properties and the link (in myspell/dict) and dics in (/hunspell) in the terminal as root. It eventually just started working. But I'm sure all the names are now back as they were in the beginning. viz: files are en_GB.*, spellcheck window is en_GB - target language in properties is EN-GB.

Still a bit co
... See more
I'd like to be able to give a detailed explanation of what solved it - but I'm not sure how I did it.

Using a variety of combinations en EN en_GB etc... etc... changing properties and the link (in myspell/dict) and dics in (/hunspell) in the terminal as root. It eventually just started working. But I'm sure all the names are now back as they were in the beginning. viz: files are en_GB.*, spellcheck window is en_GB - target language in properties is EN-GB.

Still a bit confused, but frankly, don't care.....

Thanks a lot for all your help

Tim
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Problems - Xubuntu 12.04 with OmegaT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »