picomagalhaes
picomagalhaes
Portugal
English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2012

Hello,

I recently downloaded omega t.

It seems like it won't be much use until I have a nice batch of Translation Memories.

Is there anywhere on the web where I might find populated translation memories for download?

Specifically PT>EN

Many thanks

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Russian to English
+ ...
You make them in the course of your work Oct 11, 2012

Any TMs you would get online from other people's work would be of limited usefulness to you in yours. The main point of TMs is to allow you to access repetitive material that you have previously translated. The main way that people do this is by ... working and thereby creating TMs. If you do not do much repetitive work (I don't), they are not of much use, except as a look-up tool for vocabulary that you may not have put into your glossary. For that purpose, I file them by language pair and clie... See more
Any TMs you would get online from other people's work would be of limited usefulness to you in yours. The main point of TMs is to allow you to access repetitive material that you have previously translated. The main way that people do this is by ... working and thereby creating TMs. If you do not do much repetitive work (I don't), they are not of much use, except as a look-up tool for vocabulary that you may not have put into your glossary. For that purpose, I file them by language pair and client.

That said, you could check the EU's TM of its legislation, which is in all EU languages:
http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

I've never used it.

Good luck,
Susan

PS: TMs are not the only good reason to use CAT tools like OmegaT, as you'll see after you use it for awhile.

[Edited at 2012-10-11 20:06 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Pre-existing translation memories

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »