Thread poster: Michael Mestre
Michael Mestre
Michael Mestre
France
Local time: 23:58
English to French
+ ...
Oct 14, 2012

I was wondering if there was a simple way to convert a (plain-text) OmegaT glossary file to an SDL Multiterm format ?
(please note that I own Multiterm 5.5, which can apparently only import plain-text files).

I thought that it was enough to try and import the OmegaT glossary file in multiterm directly, but this failed.
What is the solution to this problem ? Shall I try and convert my glossary file to a CSV format first ?

Thank you !

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:58
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT glossaries are TSV Oct 15, 2012

Michael Mestre wrote:

I was wondering if there was a simple way to convert a (plain-text) OmegaT glossary file to an SDL Multiterm format ?
(please note that I own Multiterm 5.5, which can apparently only import plain-text files).

OmegaT glossaries are plain-text files.

I thought that it was enough to try and import the OmegaT glossary file in multiterm directly, but this failed.
What is the solution to this problem ?

You might have more luck in a Trados support forum.

Shall I try and convert my glossary file to a CSV format first ?

If the OmegaT glossary was created directly from OmegaT, it is in a tab separated value format, which is rather trivial to convert to CSV, using OpenOffice or Excel. Otherwise, the glossary can be already in CSV.

Didier

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try converting to UTF-16 Oct 15, 2012

Michael Mestre wrote:

Can it? Then you definitely should refer to the user manual for details or ask in the Trados support forum. You know, we here deal with OmegaT issues mainly, not with bugs of other programs. The only wild guess is that MT does not import text files in UTF-8. Try saving the glossary to UTF-16LE.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Converting OmegaT glossary file to Multiterm format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »