Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever lost your inner peace because of a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 1, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever lost your inner peace because of a project?".

View the poll results »

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, once Sep 1, 2016

I had to translate an accident report about an aircraft engine fitter who went too close to a running jet engine, was sucked in and scattered in little pieces for up to 100 m behind it. I was once an engine fitter myself, perhaps that was why I found it disturbing.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
French to English
Yes Sep 1, 2016

More within the framelwork of employment positions. I've worked in protection and indemnity mutual shipping insurance, that's almost anything except for the hull. In my case that meant cargo and personal injury claims on board commercial and passenger vessels (also freight, demurrage and defence, but I wasn't involved in that). I've also worked in civil litigation where it is difficult to avoid some fairly dramatic situations. In both positions, I was employed for my combined legal and linguisti... See more
More within the framelwork of employment positions. I've worked in protection and indemnity mutual shipping insurance, that's almost anything except for the hull. In my case that meant cargo and personal injury claims on board commercial and passenger vessels (also freight, demurrage and defence, but I wasn't involved in that). I've also worked in civil litigation where it is difficult to avoid some fairly dramatic situations. In both positions, I was employed for my combined legal and linguistic skills, so to that extent, yes, sometimes, within the context of my work which invovled translating, some cases can be quite harrowing.

[Edited at 2016-09-01 15:49 GMT]
Collapse

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Wow that's spiritual! Sep 1, 2016

I don't think any work, translation work in particular, can be done without a bit of losing it at odd times.
I love my inner peace, but it appears mostly outside of work, a necessary balance to get this mad job going.
Actually, it's quite a quiet world here, I even get to sing when tiredness sets in.
Thanks for the lovely thought.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
What inner peace? Sep 1, 2016

I have never had one.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Close to home Sep 1, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

I had to translate an accident report about an aircraft engine fitter who went too close to a running jet engine, was sucked in and scattered in little pieces for up to 100 m behind it. I was once an engine fitter myself, perhaps that was why I found it disturbing.

That must have been an intense experience, Jack.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Define “inner peace” Sep 1, 2016

Concepts like inner peace can be ambiguous at best and open to all sorts of interpretation, from religiosity to philosophy and everything in between.

The question assumes that inner peace (a sense of tranquility?) is lost and remains unrecovered because of a particular translation project.

For the sake of argument, let's consider that this sense of peace or security or personal balance is forever shattered in an individual. For that to happen, the translation pro
... See more
Concepts like inner peace can be ambiguous at best and open to all sorts of interpretation, from religiosity to philosophy and everything in between.

The question assumes that inner peace (a sense of tranquility?) is lost and remains unrecovered because of a particular translation project.

For the sake of argument, let's consider that this sense of peace or security or personal balance is forever shattered in an individual. For that to happen, the translation project (the text or documents being translated, naturally) would have to be so massively traumatic that the individual would need behavioral therapy or some sort of psychological help to continue.

Having said that, this scenario would strike any reasonable person as ridiculously extreme. There are so many assumptions and variables in it that a cogent discussion is out of the question.

Next.

Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Inner what? Sep 1, 2016

The first thing that sprang to mind was a quasi-humorous comment, along the lines of "even a misused apostrophe can give me the screaming hab-dabs"...

However, Jack's more sombre revelation reminds me of the time I translated a medical report free of charge for a friend - the results were very negative, melanoma with metastasis in a young teenage girl, and I felt increasingly sad the nearer I got to the end. My "inner peace" was severely dented on that occasion. There must be others
... See more
The first thing that sprang to mind was a quasi-humorous comment, along the lines of "even a misused apostrophe can give me the screaming hab-dabs"...

However, Jack's more sombre revelation reminds me of the time I translated a medical report free of charge for a friend - the results were very negative, melanoma with metastasis in a young teenage girl, and I felt increasingly sad the nearer I got to the end. My "inner peace" was severely dented on that occasion. There must be others, but I probably tend to forget them ASAP, otherwise I'd end up in a veritable slough of despond.

PS: On a lighter note, sometimes I find myself having to Google the expressions I use in my normal everyday conversations, to make sure that they are OK. This was one:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-scr1.htm

[Edited at 2016-09-01 16:23 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Professional life can be harrowing Sep 1, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

I have no time for such concepts, but I have had some harrowing experiences.

My first-ever English student lost two of her three daughters, one of them very severely handicapped, when her husband drugged them and doused the car in petrol before getting in himself and setting fire to it. She was having lessons to take a more active part in conferences about mental handicap and I knew her daughters well. That ws a seriously bad start to a career. Also, a pregnant student lost her baby; one male student kept bursting into tears, and another vile individual fell asleep on one occasion, clearly having smoked something very heavy the night before, and on another wanted to discuss the live video of a hostage beheading that he had been watching. I "sacked" that one. These experiences do mark you.

In hospital interpreting, I had to force back tears while passing on news that there was no hope for a loved one.

My marketing and tourism translation projects seem "comfortingly boring" in comparison.

[Edited at 2016-09-01 19:12 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few times, yes Sep 1, 2016

Usually due to the stupidity of a client or of a reviser. Undue corrections in my work is what spoils my inner peace. I am very thankful for due corrections. But when something I translate correctly is modified for something wrong or not as good, I usually reply with "this translation is no longer my responsibility. I will make no further revisions and will not respond to the client if the undue changes I refused are maintained."

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Professional life can be harrowing Sep 1, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

My first-ever English student lost two of her three daughters, one of them very severely handicapped, when her husband drugged them and doused the car in petrol before getting in himself and setting fire to it. She was having lessons to take a more active part in conferences about mental handicap and I knew her daughters well. That ws a seriously bad start to a career. Also, a pregnant student lost her baby; one male student kept bursting into tears, and another vile individual fell asleep on one occasion, clearly having smoked something very heavy the night before, and on another wanted to discuss the live video of a hostage beheading that he had been watching. I "sacked" that one. These experiences do mark you.

In hospital interpreting, I had to force back tears while passing on news that there was no hope for a loved one.

And when proofreading a novel about child sexual abuse within the family, it was clear that the author (my client) was writing from personal experience.

My marketing and tourism translation projects seem "comfortingly boring" in comparison.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
I am with Sheila on this one Sep 2, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

These experiences do mark you.

I once translated a story that hit much too close to home. It was the story of Danielle, one of the worst ever cases of child neglect in the US. I cried troughout. To this day, I have flashbacks, especially when I look at my happy, carefree daughter, roughly the same age as Dani. The incomprehensibility of how a mother could treat her own child in such a way for years and years simply floors me. It made me appreciate mental health and stability and the efforts of child care organisations even more than before.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-09-02 05:08 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often Sep 2, 2016

The content doesn't disturb me, but sometimes the way the texts are written drives me crazy.

Tania McConaghy
Tania McConaghy  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Vicarious trauma Sep 2, 2016

Vicarious trauma can affect translators and interpreters.
I work with medical texts and it isn't just beer and skittles.
In my experience it's not always easy to predict which texts will have an effect on me.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Sep 2, 2016

not really, or I cannot recall any

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever lost your inner peace because of a project?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »