Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you think it is possible to be native speaker in two languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Education Jan 12, 2017

EvaVer wrote:

how many native speakers will get tenses wrong? One can see horrible things out there, and even in texts we translate - at least, that I translate. I am just translating a French text by a French native speaker and it's awful. So do we speak about a native speaker, or about an EDUCATED native speaker?

I think we can assume that a translator will be educated.

While even educated natives will make slips when typing in a forum like this, and uneducated natives may make various grammatical errors, their basic style will be obviously native. Whereas some errors just scream "foreigner" - no natives would ever express themselves in that way.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:41
French to English
hokey cokey Jan 13, 2017

Chris S wrote:

How many Russian spies could hum the Birdie Song?

I'm not a Russian spy yet I'm pretty sure you wouldn't recognise the Birdie Song if I hummed it. I have the Hokey Cokey off pat though

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think it is possible to be native speaker in two languages?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »