Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Apart from not being available, what's your most common reason for turning down a job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pet peeve: CAT tool fanatics? Sep 18, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Poor spelling only becomes a pet peeve for CAT tool fanatics whose master TM is getting close to a terabyte in size, and who want to translate faster than machine translation. I guess these are the preferred providers to the clients I described as demanding "MUST have Trados; skill & experience in translation could be a plus, though not required".

I beg to differ. Many individuals and professionals who prize good writing skills in any given language—not just translators, linguists or grammarians— find poor spelling a serious no-no. I see no connection between poor spelling and CAT tool users, let alone fanatics.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's just not worth it Sep 18, 2017

Sometimes it's just not worth the bother - the rate is too low, the format is too much bother, the text is full of handritten symbols from an illiterate doctor, the resulting money is not worth the time invested. Too many reasons to state, it's just a feeling when you open the email and download the document (or PDF, eek).

Eden Cope
Eden Cope
United States
Local time: 06:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
The rate is too low. Sep 18, 2017

That would be my top reason. But the next runner-up would be if the agency has a bad Blue Board record. Having been scammed during my early days starting out, I am very serious about researching clients and I listen to my gut. If I have a bad feeling about it, I say "no."

Fortunately, there are many agencies that have a good record and pay good rates. You just have to look harder for them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Apart from not being available, what's your most common reason for turning down a job?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »