Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Approximately what percentage of the first draft of your translations makes it to the end unchanged?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree - once again Nov 13, 2017

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't work with the idea of doing a "draft." IMO, that would be a waste of time. I strive for a finished product from the outset. If there's a tricky part, I will highlight it and move on rather than fussing to make it perfect. Subsequent context can often solve the problem.

Then I go back and read the finished job, with special attention to the parts I was stuck on. I make corrections elsewhere in the text as well. But together they don't add up to a large portion of the total text.

After all this, I then proofread for typos. I learned long ago that typos can slip in or go unnoticed when focusing on the sense of a text.

This represents my approach as well. I also remember Muriel posting some time ago that she does not typically read the entire document prior to translating it, but lets the document "unfold" as she works on it. I was gratified to read this, as this had also been my approach for some years previously - and still is

From a purely practical point of view (i.e., in terms of the rates typically offered and the tight deadlines typically imposed) I do not understand how a standard practice of working through a series of "drafts" on a project is at all viable.

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:28
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My changes are mostly based on Glossary or TM for very specific corporate purposes. Nov 13, 2017

Never estimated it as my translations projects are very technical and most changes, if any, will be based on clients' needs for specific corporate terminology.
To give you an idea, in one of our projects, I translated, reviewed and then translated again the term 'range' to four different terms in Pt_Br, based on context and client’s specifications.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
French to English
I can't tell you Nov 13, 2017

This is top secret information.

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
50% Nov 14, 2017

I'm surprised by the responses - not sure if I believe them - minor changes can and should be made almost all the time.

Of course you strive for perfection the first time, but you usually don't get it with the complexity of language.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:28
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not really Nov 14, 2017

Henry Schroeder wrote:

I'm surprised by the responses - not sure if I believe them - minor changes can and should be made almost all the time.
Of course you strive for perfection the first time, but you usually don't get it with the complexity of language.

The minor changes you are talking about are done in the first draft. If you have more than 10% of text that needs correction after you're done with your first round, there must be something wrong in your methods. It really doesn't mean you should doubt the others. Perhaps you should question your methods?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Approximately what percentage of the first draft of your translations makes it to the end unchanged?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »