Thread poster: Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:26
English to Spanish
Jul 15, 2021

Hi

I just became a Plus member as of yesterday.
I am a little disappointed to be honest.

First, I did a simple job search for my language pairs (En-Es) and I know they are the most common pain but THERE WERE ONLY 4 TOTAL JOBS! It was just exacly the same as when I wasn´t a paid member. Am I missing something?

Also, every time I clicked on a job that was marked as "job open for 14 more days" or so, in the actual job post page it said: JOB CLOSED, for
... See more
Hi

I just became a Plus member as of yesterday.
I am a little disappointed to be honest.

First, I did a simple job search for my language pairs (En-Es) and I know they are the most common pain but THERE WERE ONLY 4 TOTAL JOBS! It was just exacly the same as when I wasn´t a paid member. Am I missing something?

Also, every time I clicked on a job that was marked as "job open for 14 more days" or so, in the actual job post page it said: JOB CLOSED, for all the 4 jobs but one.

Is this a bug? Is this common? What's the point then?

Oh God have I made a terrible mistake?

[Edited at 2021-07-15 12:30 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Natalia Jul 15, 2021

Natalia Ulla wrote:
I just became a [paid] member as of yesterday. ... It was just exactly the same as when I wasn't a paid member.

Sometimes all available jobs on a given day are open to non-members too.

What's the point then?

The main advantage of paid membership is that your name will appear higher in the search results when clients search for translators. You also get earlier access to certain jobs, and this is sometimes useful because some clients will accept one of the first translator who apply.

Oh God have I made a terrible mistake?

I believe you can cancel your membership and get a pro rata refund.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Natalia Jul 15, 2021

First and foremost, Proz is not a magic key to a treasure chest filled with stacks of jobs just waiting for us. Most of the good steady clients I found here over the years have come to me directly through my profile. So, start by building a good profile page and then take part as much as possible on Kudoz to showcase your expertise and gain visibility. Proz is quite good for networking with colleagues. As a result of good relationships built here with other translators, I’ve been recommended b... See more
First and foremost, Proz is not a magic key to a treasure chest filled with stacks of jobs just waiting for us. Most of the good steady clients I found here over the years have come to me directly through my profile. So, start by building a good profile page and then take part as much as possible on Kudoz to showcase your expertise and gain visibility. Proz is quite good for networking with colleagues. As a result of good relationships built here with other translators, I’ve been recommended by colleagues who are either too busy to accept a job, or for projects outside their area of expertise but falling on mine. I find recommendations of colleagues highly motivating and rewarding. Of course, I’ve done the same…Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Joe France
Robert Rietvelt
Jessica Noyes

Natalia Ulla
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Ok thanks so much Jul 15, 2021

Thanks for both answers,

I wasn´t just expecting to find a job right away, of course. I have been a freelance translator for long enough to know the market, but I must confess it was a little big of a let down that, on the biggest translation platform in the world, there were only 4 jobs posted in 15 days and then the bugs I encountered (there was really just OPEN 1 job and it was for Latam Spanish).

I guess I will continue to earn kudos and do some networking as sug
... See more
Thanks for both answers,

I wasn´t just expecting to find a job right away, of course. I have been a freelance translator for long enough to know the market, but I must confess it was a little big of a let down that, on the biggest translation platform in the world, there were only 4 jobs posted in 15 days and then the bugs I encountered (there was really just OPEN 1 job and it was for Latam Spanish).

I guess I will continue to earn kudos and do some networking as suggested, improve my profile and keep adding translation samples for the work I do from other platforms. I am confident that, with time, I can get jobs through here. I guess I just expected more than 4 jobs in a month. I have also applied for mentorship, as I find the site a little overwhelming.

I will make it work somehow and thanks so much for the replies, again.

Natalia

[Edited at 2021-07-15 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Many jobs Jul 15, 2021

When I search for jobs in this language combination, I see 3 posted today, 5 yesterday and so on...

Is it possible that you have some filter setting that restricts your results? For instance only jobs in certain fields?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Natalia Ulla

Natalia Ulla
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
You were right Jul 15, 2021

Ines you hit the nail right in the head,

I had not used any filters for my search (just USE MY LANG PAIRS) but Proz automatically selected the "Jobs where I meet the requirements".

Once I deselected that button a few more jobs apperared. It must be because I do not have any translation certifications (which is a bummer, as I have been professionaly translating for over 10 years). I know employers look for certifications, as this gives them security (I don't blame them).
... See more
Ines you hit the nail right in the head,

I had not used any filters for my search (just USE MY LANG PAIRS) but Proz automatically selected the "Jobs where I meet the requirements".

Once I deselected that button a few more jobs apperared. It must be because I do not have any translation certifications (which is a bummer, as I have been professionaly translating for over 10 years). I know employers look for certifications, as this gives them security (I don't blame them).

It looks like I will have to assert myself more than other candidates, which make sense and it's fair, as I don't hold any certs.

Thanks for shedding light on this, it really seemed so weird to me!

Still, the bugs are a bit of a pain but I am sure I will get used to them, as I suppose you all have done.

All best and thanks again,

Natalia
Collapse

Gerard de Noord

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posts closed but show as open and not many jobs for Spanish

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »