Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
ProZ.com job postings: translation versus MTPE
Thread poster: Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Multiverse Jul 1, 2022

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. wrote:
2. extracting / collecting personal and business data - with no intent of cooperating
3. attracting translators to their website to fill in some forms - as if it was an equivalent to landing a "job"
4. recruiting for mass MTPE tasks - promising honey and milk...

All of this falls under the normal "buyer beware/seller beware" principles that freelance translators have to deal with. Yes, newer translators may fall for some of these, but most people learn quickly to employ a healthy dose of cynicism when dealing with potential jobs.

...but still MTPE is not translation and, in fact, in most cases does not require any linguistic or translation skills, so why dilute real high-end professional translation here?

I do consider MTPE a type of translation. Despite the fact that machine translation is very good in my language combination, it still isn't really mere "editing" in my target language. Certainly a good translator will create a much better end-product with MTPE than a poor translator. The skills that make good translators also make good MTPE translators. A good editor who is a poor translator will produce a much worse end-product with MTPE than a good translator.

So the most important issue is not job classification, but allowing non-job (non-paying, false vendors) entries to populate a once decent portal for professional translators.

I understand your fear, but your proposed solution will not result in what you're trying to achieve.

Lieven Malaise
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, a very simple solution Jul 1, 2022

... issue is ... allowing non-job (non-paying, false vendors) entries to populate a ... portal for professional translators...

Samuel Murray wrote:
I understand your fear, but your proposed solution will not result in what you're trying to achieve.

The original intended objective was (and still is) to put job offers under the headings that factually reflect their content. Now we have something like car sale classifieds:
- Charger, 900HP, may be yours for xxx (but I am only bragging, not for sale)
- real Humvee, brand new (fresh restoration from scrap)

Of course it would be successful if... the job posting form included relevant fields and required proper task assignment.

Right now we have "Translation/editing/proofing job" in one box, and no box for MTPE. Why not make 4 separate boxes of these? Just a few lines of code.

Finally, why not have a try? The cost = practically zero.

Anton Konashenok

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Jul 2, 2022

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. wrote:
Right now we have "Translation/editing/proofing job" in one box, and no box for MTPE.

That is because MTPE is a type of translation or a type of editing (depending on your opinion). If you believe that MTPE is neither a type of translation nor a type of editing, then that explains why ProZ.com won't implement your suggestion.

Lieven Malaise
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Samuel Jul 6, 2022

MTPE is a type of translation or a type of editing (depending on your opinion).

That is the whole point, what is MTPE? A type of translation or a type of editing, or .........???? I would hesitantly say a type of editing, but after my last experience I am not so sure anymore.

I accepted a huge proof job, and where I expected a human translation, they sent me a MT generated text.

For me proofing = correcting a real translation and PEMT = a jigsaw. Why? Well, in general a human translator (even a bad one) will try to understand what he/she is translating, will be trying to find the right terminology, style, consistency etc... (and yes there is also a lot of crap out there, I know). MT on the other hand is like a parrot, it repeats, has no clue what it is doing, doesn't understand the text and consistency is far to look for (and yes, in some cases it looks acceptable, until you start working with it). In the best case it delivers the raw material of which translations are made off.

My experience is that PEMT costs me much more time to correct then a real human translation, even if translated by a 'bad' translator (and agencies dare to offer half the price for PEMT, what a joke, but that aside).

That is one reason I think Proz should be stricter before they publish a job offer to avoid unpleasant surprises. In short, I agree with the topic starter.

[Edited at 2022-07-06 21:57 GMT]

SandraV

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 09:36
English to Russian
MTPE is not second-class work for a translator Apr 6

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Well, in general a human translator (even a bad one) will try to understand what he/she is translating, will be trying to find the right terminology, style, consistency etc... (and yes there is also a lot of crap out there, I know).
Even in my language pair the MT output is good, I would say, better than over half of human translations I edited. Russian has a very low priority among MT developers, so I assume that EN-DE output is near-human. Another great feature of MT is consistency.

All MTPE jobs that I had in the extremely competitive EN-RU market paid better than translation, because the MT quality was very high, therefore the turnaround was high. The final quality is the same, less fatigue, new skills.

Don't be naive -- fairly soon all translation work will be MTPE.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com job postings: translation versus MTPE

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »