Will Volny  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
Member (2018)
Czech to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2022

Hello All,
Please forgive my ignorance in this matter, but perhaps you've had experience with a translation agency requesting a high level of security features because of the nature of their clients. Today, it was requested that I install onto my mobile phone an app called 'SecurID' and that I was to forward to them the identification data for it to them in order for me to become part of a team for some high-security translation work. I balked simply because I could not understand why this
... See more
Hello All,
Please forgive my ignorance in this matter, but perhaps you've had experience with a translation agency requesting a high level of security features because of the nature of their clients. Today, it was requested that I install onto my mobile phone an app called 'SecurID' and that I was to forward to them the identification data for it to them in order for me to become part of a team for some high-security translation work. I balked simply because I could not understand why this SecurID was needed for my mobile phone. I have not come across this before. I have worked with pharma documents and medical documents, where one is required to have their PC checked and to download software to guard against viruses, as well as the agency providing us with a portal that is secure. But why is a mobile phone suddenly involved, which I do not use for work? Perhaps you have had such an experience and can enlighten me in this regard?
Kind regards,
Will
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
No experience, but Jun 27, 2022

From what I gather from Google, SecurID is from a company called RSA and it seems to be legit. They mention phones being scanned, so maybe if you have to attend a meeting or whatever in person, you might need a QR code or something like that on your phone, so that it can be scanned to enter secure buildings.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Token/Authenticator app Jun 27, 2022

It turns your phone into a token for 2-factor identification. When you try to log into the client's portal, it will ask for the one-time generated by the app.

Dan Lucas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Will Jun 28, 2022

Will Volny wrote:
Today, it was requested that I install onto my mobile phone an app called 'SecurID' and that I was to forward to them the identification data for it to them in order for me to become part of a team for some high-security translation work.

SecurID is a one-time password (OTP) generator. I'm not sure how SecureID works, but on a similar system, whenever you try to log in to certain site or app, it sends a message to SecurID which creates a "password" that is sent to your phone that you can then use to log in to that site. Another type of OTP generator works by asking you to confirm which number on your phone is the same as which number shown on the web site or app you're trying to log into. SecureID might work slightly differently, I don't know. I'm not sure what you mean by "forward the identification data for it".

But why is a mobile phone suddenly involved, which I do not use for work?

It works on the assumption that a mobile phone typically follows a human around (i.e. a rival translator isn't going to have access to your phone). Using a person's own phone as a way to identify them is reasonably secure, especially for services that other family members are unlikely going to be trying to get into.

[Edited at 2022-06-28 05:40 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
PCs are not secure Jun 28, 2022

Will Volny wrote:

I have worked with pharma documents and medical documents, where one is required to have their PC checked and to download software to guard against viruses, as well as the agency providing us with a portal that is secure. But why is a mobile phone suddenly involved, which I do not use for work?

Your PC is never secure. In order to establish a really secure connection to your client's server, you need an independent external device that is SecurID-enabled.

Actually, mobile phones are not the best solution because they are connected to the Internet. See Wikipedia for SecurID: Most often one uses a small token generator device. Probably your client doesn't want to force you to buy one, so they ask you to use an app for a mobile phone instead.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with 'SecurID'

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »