Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
English to Slovak
+ ...
May 4, 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking for a dictionary script (PHP/MySQL based), which should have the following features:

1. Admin can add/view/update/delete all word definition in Admin Control Panel
2. Users can register and view all but add/update/delete their own word definition only.
3. In front end, registered users can leave their comments on any word definition.
4. Search box for looking up a word definition. Result page should show related word phrases
... See more
Hi all,

I'm looking for a dictionary script (PHP/MySQL based), which should have the following features:

1. Admin can add/view/update/delete all word definition in Admin Control Panel
2. Users can register and view all but add/update/delete their own word definition only.
3. In front end, registered users can leave their comments on any word definition.
4. Search box for looking up a word definition. Result page should show related word phrases
5. Alphabetical search supported
6. UTF-8 supported
7. Be reasonably customizable

I have found pretty good one on www.phpdictionary.com but with this one, everything has to/can be done by admin only.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Rad
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ideas ... May 4, 2008

A monolingual dictionary with the administrator as the only 'active' user is just about the simplest application you could hope to build using php/mysql. I've not looked at the phpdictionary.com script, but I imagine that the same thing with the user privileges you want (which are nothing exotic) would probably involve a script anything up to 10 times larger.

I have built a number of multilingual glossaries (mostly using Access) and am currently building a multilingual php/mysql ap
... See more
A monolingual dictionary with the administrator as the only 'active' user is just about the simplest application you could hope to build using php/mysql. I've not looked at the phpdictionary.com script, but I imagine that the same thing with the user privileges you want (which are nothing exotic) would probably involve a script anything up to 10 times larger.

I have built a number of multilingual glossaries (mostly using Access) and am currently building a multilingual php/mysql application for genealogy research that has a three-tier user structure with a total of five sets of user privileges. On the basis of that experience, I would suggest that - unless you can find an 'off-the'shelf' dictionary script that satisfies all your needs - then you might do well to start with a ready-made user registration/privileges script (probably representing around 80% of the whole project) and then add a home-brew dictionary (the remaining 20%) - or even try using it to control access to the phpdictionary.com script.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your opinion May 4, 2008

mediamatrix wrote:

I have built a number of multilingual glossaries (mostly using Access) and am currently building a multilingual php/mysql application for genealogy research that has a three-tier user structure with a total of five sets of user privileges. On the basis of that experience, I would suggest that - unless you can find an 'off-the'shelf' dictionary script that satisfies all your needs - then you might do well to start with a ready-made user registration/privileges script (probably representing around 80% of the whole project) and then add a home-brew dictionary (the remaining 20%) - or even try using it to control access to the phpdictionary.com script.

I have searched high and low but there is nothing ready-made anywhere. I asked at CodingForum website, as I really want a proper stuff, and was offered to have one "built-to-measure" for $750. I think it's reasonable but would like to hear your opinion. What do you think? Is it expensive, cheap or just right?

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:24
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Multitran? May 5, 2008

Why don't you check the Multitran engine?
http://multitran.ru/
There is a server based version of the dictionary for sale, and if it is the same as the one that drives the website, as it is claimed, then it covers almost all your requirements.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Matapuna May 5, 2008

Matapuna but it is Perl/PostgreSQL based.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reasonable? May 5, 2008

Rad Graban wrote:
I asked at CodingForum website, as I really want a proper stuff, and was offered to have one "built-to-measure" for $750. I think it's reasonable but would like to hear your opinion. What do you think? Is it expensive, cheap or just right?

Like most things in the translation business it all depends on the full context. Personally, I would never pay anyone $750 (US dollars presumably) to build such a thing - I'd build it myself.

What will you get for those hard-earned bucks? For reasons mentioned previously, probably 80% or more of the script (and the cost) will probably be downloaded as freeware from the web, or be a minor adaptation of code that the programmer has already used in a dozen other projects. 'Proper stuff' in your terms, but lots of money for (almost) nothing! You'll get a couple of simple data tables for the dico, the bits will be linked together and configured in the shades of green and yellow you specify.

That said, if you've got the funds and think the offer is 'reasonable', then ... the choice is yours!

If you do commission someone to build it, don't forget to cover yourself in the event that it doesn't look/work as intended, or if it breaks down under guarantee, or if you need to modify it later (e.g. to add more languages). A prerequisite for that is drafting a very comprehensive, accurate and unambiguous specification that cannot be misunderstood (or maliciously interpreted) by a non-linguist. It will take you longer to specify your exact requirements than it will the programmer to build it. That should keep you busy for several days...

A final point: Even if your immediate requirement is for a monolingual dico, and bearing in mind the not-insignificant cost of bespoke software, it might be worth developing a system that can handle two or three languages from the outset (even if you initially only use it with one language). Why? - because if you want to go multi-lingual later, and your system has not been designed with that capability in mind, it will probably be more cost-effective to start from scratch than to adapt a monolingual script. That observation is valid for both the interface language(s) and the dico content. It's one thing to spend $750 once - it's quite another if you have to spend $750 each time you want to add a new language.

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary Script

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »