Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:14
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 14, 2008

A colleague has the Mac version of InDesign (CS2 I think) and I have Windows InDesign CS2. If she sends me files created in Mac, can I edit them in my Windows version of the program?

[Edited at 2008-05-14 19:17]

Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
I haven't had any problem May 15, 2008

I have Innd CS 3.1 on a PC and have received many Innd Mac projects without any problem. I ask my customers to send me the files converted to InDesign exchange format, with the ".inx" suffix.
I know there are some Mac Innd capabilities that do not work on my PC system but I haven't had any issues for translation and edition purposes provided I have the correct font sets in my PC.

Hope you'll find this useful.

Cheers
El Étor

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:14
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sure! May 15, 2008

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

A colleague has the Mac version of InDesign (CS2 I think) and I have Windows InDesign CS2. If she sends me files created in Mac, can I edit them in my Windows version of the program?

[Edited at 2008-05-14 19:17]

Hej Madeleine,

Sure, the format (both indd and INX) is platform independent, this is one of InDesign's big strenghts compared to Quark.

Just beware that some fonts are not platform independent, so if you use special non-standard fonts, you need to consider this before migrating.
To be safe, use Open Type fonts with the full Unicode charsets, especially if you're translating to/from a non-latin alphabet.

Good luck!

/J

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to edit Mac InDesign files using Windows InDesign

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »