Thread poster: Aminata Diabi
Aminata Diabi
Aminata Diabi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:15
English to French
Nov 12, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying the latest version of PractiCount. I downloaded the trial version but there is no user guide that I can refer to. Does anyone have it? (I asked to their support team but no answer)

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Translation Office 3000 may be a better investment Nov 13, 2008

amdi wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying the latest version of PractiCount. I downloaded the trial version but there is no user guide that I can refer to. Does anyone have it? (I asked to their support team but no answer)

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Amy,

I think that Translation Office 3000 is a better investment because it has wordcount functionality as well as much much more. If you are a full time freelancer, the software will pay for itself in one day. Why don't you download it and give it a try?

Reed

Aminata Diabi
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Reed Nov 13, 2008

Thanks, I didn't know that software.
I will try it

Amy

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Or try out FineCount Nov 13, 2008

FineCount, which has a free edition (basic functions) and a pro edition (some advanced features). A FineCount user guide in PDF is also available.

[Edited at 2008-11-13 13:16]

[Edited at 2008-11-13 13:16]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:15
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
PractiCount is not compatible with VISTA Nov 13, 2008

It will not count anything until you first completely close Word, which I regularly find a great nuisance. Once you have closed down Word, it will count anything you like.

So imagine this scenario: I am working to a tight deadline, checking over a Word document that is due to be delivered in half an hour, concentrating intensely, when an end client gets in touch with me and wants an immediate quote. To count the words of their document, I have to close my document and close down Wor
... See more
It will not count anything until you first completely close Word, which I regularly find a great nuisance. Once you have closed down Word, it will count anything you like.

So imagine this scenario: I am working to a tight deadline, checking over a Word document that is due to be delivered in half an hour, concentrating intensely, when an end client gets in touch with me and wants an immediate quote. To count the words of their document, I have to close my document and close down Word completely in order to count the client's document with PractiCount. If I could leave my Word document that I am working on open in the meantime it would be much more convenient.

Also, every time I get a computer technician in to do anything to my computer, my entire address list that is in PractiCount is automatically lost. Trying to re-import it never helps. It just has to be typed in all over again.

PractiCount is fairly simple to use. If you play around with it you should find out how to work it. However, you just need to make sure that you have Word closed down first (if you have Vista).

Astrid
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:15
German to English
+ ...
Astrid Nov 13, 2008

Look into VMWare. It will allow you to run older operating systems as a subprocess on your system so you won't have to fight compatibility issues like this. It's also great if you have ancient electronic dictionaries that require Win 95, etc.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Practicount and Vista Nov 13, 2008

I have to say it is not the case- in September all our computers were struck by lightning and I had to replace them by new ones- all running Vista. No problems at all with Practicount- works like clockwork- and even few bugs we had under XP are gone (say, error message on starting Practicount that it can't find diskette in the drive A- had always to tell to ignore that).

I have a somewhat old version of Practicount, though- Version 2.8.

Uldis

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Instructions for use Nov 13, 2008

1. Open it up.
2. Go to the second menu tab from the left. (It is in German on my computer, so I do not know what it is called in English.)
3. Click on the first item in that second menu. This gives you the opportunity to type all your own details into it. They will then automatically appear on all invoices that you generate with PractiCount.
4. In a similar way, go to the second item down in the second menu and click on that. This gives you the opportunity to type in the names
... See more
1. Open it up.
2. Go to the second menu tab from the left. (It is in German on my computer, so I do not know what it is called in English.)
3. Click on the first item in that second menu. This gives you the opportunity to type all your own details into it. They will then automatically appear on all invoices that you generate with PractiCount.
4. In a similar way, go to the second item down in the second menu and click on that. This gives you the opportunity to type in the names and addresses, etc. of your various customers. You just click on "Close" when you are finished.

To generate an invoice:

Go to the boxes at the top. From one box, choose the name of your customer. In the other boxes choose the currency and the amount you are charging. Choose whether you are charging by lines, words, hours, etc.
"User defined lines" is useful for languages such as German that are charged by the source line.

Below the five menus at the top there is button on the left to press for counting the words/lines/whatever in the document once you have selected the document.

There are three more buttons in a row below this button.

To select the document for counting, click on the first (left-hand) button of these.

In the list of files on your computer at the left-hand side, click to pick out your document.
Keep clicking on plus signs till you get to where your file is. When you get to the right folder, do not click on any further plus sign that may be beside it, but click on its name.

In the top main window you should see the files you have in that folder. Double click on the one you want to count. Do the same for any further files you want to add.

These files then appear in the box on the bottom half of the screen. To remove files from there again, click on one of those buttons with a cross below. One of them is to remove the one file that you have highlighted, and the other one is to remove all files in the list.

Once you have files in the bottom window, you can go back to that button above the three buttons and click it in order to make it count the words.

Once you have a screen full of figures, tick or untick the "VAT" box at the bottom left of the screen, depending on whether you charge VAT or not. If you do, fiddle with the next button to choose how many per cent VAT you charge in your country.

At the bottom right of the screen, click on "Generate invoice", or something similar.

A new window opens.

Click on the Word symbol at the bottom of this window. Choose the language for the invoice. Click on "Next".

Word opens up with an invoice. Immediately save it in a suitable folder. You might have to fiddle around with it a bit to adjust one or two things and make it look nice.

If you have Vista, not one, but TWO copies of Word will open - one with the invoice and another one with a blank document. You have to close down the other copy of Word again.

There are some further instructions regarding some details. I will add them later.

Astrid
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Incompatibility with Vista Nov 13, 2008

Thanks for the tip, Kevin, I will look into VMWare.

Uldis, I have had the problem on three different computers. I have version 3.1, Build 12.2.

Astrid

Aminata Diabi
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone, for those who use it, is it a good tool? Nov 13, 2008

Do you use it a lot?

Do you think it is a good software? I am kind of shopping around and would like to know if it is a useful tool.

Thanks, Amy

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Where Trados or other CAT tools wouldn't count Nov 14, 2008

Hi Amy, I use it in about all cases where CATs do not handle the file formats- Practicount counts in a heap of file formats, say in genuine PDFs, html and many more. Also it will count text in Word textboxes, which Word (without a special macros) wouldn't count at all, you can set to count words/characters with or without spaces or lines with or without headers/footers, numerals and so on, set your currency, export results to Word or Excel with or without VAT and discounts.

All is e
... See more
Hi Amy, I use it in about all cases where CATs do not handle the file formats- Practicount counts in a heap of file formats, say in genuine PDFs, html and many more. Also it will count text in Word textboxes, which Word (without a special macros) wouldn't count at all, you can set to count words/characters with or without spaces or lines with or without headers/footers, numerals and so on, set your currency, export results to Word or Excel with or without VAT and discounts.

All is easily customisable and the result file is ready for sending to your customer as a quote. It also creates invoices, but I have not used that option.

Uldis

amdi wrote:

Do you use it a lot?

Do you think it is a good software? I am kind of shopping around and would like to know if it is a useful tool.

Thanks, Amy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PractiCount

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »