Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2009

I just purchased Nuance's PDF Converter 5, only to discover that it does not work with Cyrillic. From searching the ProZ forum archive, it would seem that only ABBYY Fine Reader will do the job well--but it is quite expensive. Is there really no alternative?

Thanks in advance,
Susan

Ekaterina Savenkova
Ekaterina Savenkova
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Solid Converter PDF Feb 5, 2009

http://www.soliddocuments.com/products.htm?product=SolidConverterPDF

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ABBYY PDF Transformer will do it Feb 5, 2009

It’s FineReader’s PDF recognition engine sold as a standalone product. Not so expensive as the whole bunch. See the program’s home site. Unfortunately, export to ODF is not supported.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A lesson to learn Feb 5, 2009

I just purchased Nuance's PDF Converter 5, only to discover that it does not work with Cyrillic.

Never buy a program before you try its demo. And if the vendor does not offer a demo, just don’t buy anything from them.

Martha Schwan
Martha Schwan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
HELLO Feb 5, 2009

February 5th, 2009.

Hi,

If you have Microsoft Office installed in your PC, you could search for Microsoft Plugins which is WORD TO PDF CONVERTER PLUGIN which is free of charge.

Just copy and paste this link to y
... See more
February 5th, 2009.

Hi,

If you have Microsoft Office installed in your PC, you could search for Microsoft Plugins which is WORD TO PDF CONVERTER PLUGIN which is free of charge.

Just copy and paste this link to your web browser.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041&displaylang=en

There you'll find the service you want for free.

I hope I could be of help.

Sincerely,

Martha Schwan
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Purchase without trying Feb 5, 2009

esperantisto wrote:

Never buy a program before you try its demo. And if the vendor does not offer a demo, just don’t buy anything from them.

You're right, of course. They didn't have a demo. But it only cost me $6.95, because they have this whacko deal where advertisers pay for your software, if you buy some skin cream or flowers or whatever from the advertiser. How could I resist?

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not Word to PDF Feb 5, 2009

Martha Schwan wrote:

Thanks, but it's not the Word to PDF, but the PDF to Word that is the problem.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:02
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is it real or is it ADOBE? Feb 5, 2009

I guess nothing beats the original ADOBE software and, well, we cant be professionals on one side and then cry out for freebies or cheapies.

Means (coming out), I am about to purchase Adobe CSx suite. If I cant recuperate the price within few months, then a) my business sucks and b) I can sell it on Ebay (g). I dont see a problem either way. I have it up to my gills with "same-as-Photoshops" and "same-as-Acrobats"

Start rant

On one side we want to come ac
... See more
I guess nothing beats the original ADOBE software and, well, we cant be professionals on one side and then cry out for freebies or cheapies.

Means (coming out), I am about to purchase Adobe CSx suite. If I cant recuperate the price within few months, then a) my business sucks and b) I can sell it on Ebay (g). I dont see a problem either way. I have it up to my gills with "same-as-Photoshops" and "same-as-Acrobats"

Start rant

On one side we want to come across as professionals, but otoh when it comes to essential tools of our trade, we just love to look for all kinds of short cuts. With the price differential coming to, oh well, one or two invoices among dozens we write per year, we just exhibit a typical irrational behavior of a typical WalMart customer.

So: let's get industrial-strength products to do our job. And pay those guys and gals, who sweat it out for us, their due.

end of rant

regards

Vito

PS: OmegaT rules OK!
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Down with WalMart Feb 5, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

Means (coming out), I am about to purchase Adobe CSx suite....

On one side we want to come across as professionals, but otoh when it comes to essential tools of our trade, we just love to look for all kinds of short cuts. With the price differential coming to, oh well, one or two invoices among dozens we write per year, we just exhibit a typical irrational behavior of a typical WalMart customer.

So: let's get industrial-strength products to do our job. And pay those guys and gals, who sweat it out for us, their due.

I can't disagree with you, Vito.
Why is Adobe better than ABBYY?

Susan

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Abbyy Feb 5, 2009

Just go with Abbyy, nothing else comes close. Though I don't think it's that expensive, in here it's around 120€.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Did you really try it and alternatives? Feb 6, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

I guess nothing beats the original ADOBE software

I have tried genuine Adobe Acrobat 7.0 to convert a PDF to RTF. The result was a disaster: a huge file with schizophrenically overcomplicated formatting making it virtually impossible to edit. Scansoft PDF Converter, Solid Converter PDF, ABBYY PDF Transformer — all three performed much better: the resulting files were ≈10 times smaller, they were, well, editable. Besides, Adobe Acrobat won’t help you with scanned PDFs. Thus, my choice is the ABBYY’s product. So, it’s not about the price, it’s about the quality.

BTW about quality and professionalism. Adobe for years could not cope with the TrueType bug in Photoshop, which consists in incorrect addressing non-Western European Latin characters (in simple words, you could not type in Cyrillic: АБВ would turn into ÄÅÆ). I think, this bug still persists. But I don’t care: Gimp (free program!) has never had it. So, what is professional about original Adobe software, Vito? Ignoring obvious bugs? Thanks, I’ll stick to non-professional bug-free alternatives.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I don't know what you guys are talking about Feb 6, 2009

Just to test it I have tried Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 Rus on a Russian PDF and the conversion is just perfect. And would you believe it? Even about 20% less in size than the original PDF. Version 7 is already obsolete and does not work with Vista, and Version 8 has many new functions. Surely I paid about $250 for the license update, but I think the software is worth every cent I paid for it. I have licences for both the ABBYY PDF converter and the ABBYY Finereader Version 9.0, but I sto... See more
Just to test it I have tried Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 Rus on a Russian PDF and the conversion is just perfect. And would you believe it? Even about 20% less in size than the original PDF. Version 7 is already obsolete and does not work with Vista, and Version 8 has many new functions. Surely I paid about $250 for the license update, but I think the software is worth every cent I paid for it. I have licences for both the ABBYY PDF converter and the ABBYY Finereader Version 9.0, but I stopped using them after I had bought Acrobat Pro Version 8.0 -no need.
So, instead of looking for a third party conversion software, why don't you downlload a demo version of the latest Acrobat Pro and try it. It's helpful to check whether you will need a localized version to be able to make better use of Cyrillic fonts.
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Well, Feb 6, 2009

I think it greatly depends on the source file. I too had an experience with Acrobat 7, when I loaded a complex pdf and it just crashed when I tried to do something with it.
I have to admit I haven't tried the new version, but I'm not sure how well it will handle, for example, an instruction manual or similar file, with many pictures, tables, pictures inside tables and such. But I will give it a shot.

Vladislav Badalov
Vladislav Badalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
PDF converter (into MS Word/RTF and other formats) Mar 2, 2009

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdf-converter

You have less than one day to download it for free!

March 2, 2009

PDF Converter is an easy-to-use software for converting a PDF document to an MS Word (RTF) document, HTML file, plain text, images (TIFF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, EMF) or SWF file. The software supports all Adobe PDF modifications. PDF Converter r
... See more
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdf-converter

You have less than one day to download it for free!

March 2, 2009

PDF Converter is an easy-to-use software for converting a PDF document to an MS Word (RTF) document, HTML file, plain text, images (TIFF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, EMF) or SWF file. The software supports all Adobe PDF modifications. PDF Converter retains the layout, images, text and formatting of the original PDF file. PDF Converter is a highly efficient standalone software which doesn’t require Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader installed.

You do not need any special skills to operate the software. Just drag and drop the document you want to convert to the main PDF Converter window and click “Start Conversion”.

Fast and simple to use
Batch conversion - convert multiple documents at once
Support command line mode
Accurately preserve text, pictures, and layout of the original PDF
Support drag and drop PDF files for conversion
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cyrillic? Mar 2, 2009

Thanks, Vladislav, but if this is the Nuance PDF Converter (I can't tell from the posting you give, in a quick look), then I have it already, but it can't handle Cyrillic. I'll check this out later to make sure it's the same product.

To wrap up this thread: I think I'm going to go with the ABBYY PDF Transformer, which is about $100 and does the job okay for Cyrillic, although it does not perfectly preserve formatting for complex documents. It does have an OCR capability for electron
... See more
Thanks, Vladislav, but if this is the Nuance PDF Converter (I can't tell from the posting you give, in a quick look), then I have it already, but it can't handle Cyrillic. I'll check this out later to make sure it's the same product.

To wrap up this thread: I think I'm going to go with the ABBYY PDF Transformer, which is about $100 and does the job okay for Cyrillic, although it does not perfectly preserve formatting for complex documents. It does have an OCR capability for electronic files (as opposed to paper documents). ABBYY Finereader is quite a bit more expensive, and seems especially oriented toward OCR from paper documents, which I don't really need at this stage of my work. Adobe does not seem to sell a PDF to Word converter.

Unfortunately, a lot of these software packages (including aligners, which I'm also looking at) don't tell you which languages they handle or don't handle, which is aggravating.

Thanks to all for your suggestions,
Susan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion of Cyrillic PDF to Word or Open Office

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »