ABBYY Fine Reader: always painfully slow with PDFs?
Thread poster: Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:11
German to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2009

I'm a fairly new user of ABBYY Fine Reader 9.0 Professional Edition. When I used it yesterday to read in a 15-page PDF brochure, it seemed painfully slow, like 4 minutes per page. The PDF itself is just under 1 MB in size, so I don't think that's the issue. Any recommendations to speed things up? Is it related to the resolution I specified (in this case the default, 300 dpi)?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:11
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Standard approach Jun 19, 2009

1) run FineReader;
2) have AutoRecognition disables;
3) drag and drop PDF file;
4) do AutoSegmentation ('magic wand' tool);
5) click each page to check if the segmentation is correct (you cannot do it in automatic mode);
6) adjust if needed (otherwise you will get more pain while editing and translating in Word);
7) set the language;
8) recognise;
9) save the output to DOC file.

It usually takes me about half a minute per page or even
... See more
1) run FineReader;
5) click each page to check if the segmentation is correct (you cannot do it in automatic mode);
6) adjust if needed (otherwise you will get more pain while editing and translating in Word);
7) set the language;
8) recognise;

It usually takes me about half a minute per page or even less to segment / check the segmenation. Plus the time for ORC.

For better result open the DOC file in WordPad and save to DOC (it strips extra formatting).
Then work with it in Word.

[Редактировалось 2009-06-19 12:53 GMT]
Collapse

Jiantao Lu
Jiantao Lu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:11
English to Chinese
upgrade PC hardware Jun 19, 2009

Can you describe your PC configuration? Especially the CPU and memory.
And then compare them with the software's system requirements.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:11
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It works fine for me Jun 19, 2009

No idea why it should take that long. I use the same version on a regular basis and it works extremely well for me; it is very quick, too. You can keep a check on the progress, which helps to see what is happening. If you like, I can analyse the same file to see how long it takes on my computer. But my version only recognises Dutch and English, I think.

Michele Johnson
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hardware Jun 22, 2009

The PC is admittedly not the newest, but I think 1.1 GHz and 1 MB RAM ought to be sufficient? I could try it on the laptop to compare (2 GHz, 2 GB RAM).

Jiantao Lu wrote:

Can you describe your PC configuration? Especially the CPU and memory.
And then compare them with the software's system requirements.

Michele Johnson
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autorecognition off Jun 22, 2009

Thanks for describing your workflow, I'll give this a try. I believe I had AutoRecognition on, so it just started in as soon as I opened the file.

I'm curious when you say "Plus the time for OCR" - can you give me an idea of how long?

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

1) run FineReader;
7) set the language;
8) recognise;

It usually takes me about half a minute per page or even less to segment / check the segmenation. Plus the time for ORC.

For better result open the DOC file in WordPad and save to DOC (it strips extra formatting).
Then work with it in Word.

[Редактировалось 2009-06-19 12:53 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:11
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
it depends Jun 22, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:
"Plus the time for OCR" - can you give me an idea of how long?

With me, it is about 5 sec/gage... it also9 depend on the quality of printing...

However, with PDF it is not the point, because PDF is first printed into images, so the image quality and alignment are perfect and OCR is supposed to take less time.

[Редактировалось 2009-06-22 10:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ABBYY Fine Reader: always painfully slow with PDFs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »