Thread poster: Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2009

Hi there,

I would like to know what's the best program to convert PDF files to Word. Also, does Acrobat Pro have an export function or you have to do it manually?

TIA,

Andres

Shripal Shar (X)
Shripal Shar (X)
India
Local time: 05:58
English to Hindi
+ ...
Software application Jul 21, 2009

Best PDF to Word conversion program is Acrobate 3D.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:28
English to French
+ ...
OmniPage Jul 21, 2009

I use OmniPage, one of the most expensive but also the best in my opinion. Nuance, the editor of OmniPage, has unfortunately been more than sloppy with customer service and support. This is a major disadvantage, so if you are not willing to invest time to learn to use the software, it may not be the right choice for you. But if you have spare time and are curious, it is really worth learning to use OmniPage.

OmniPage allows you to prepare a document for optical character recognition
... See more
I use OmniPage, one of the most expensive but also the best in my opinion. Nuance, the editor of OmniPage, has unfortunately been more than sloppy with customer service and support. This is a major disadvantage, so if you are not willing to invest time to learn to use the software, it may not be the right choice for you. But if you have spare time and are curious, it is really worth learning to use OmniPage.

OmniPage allows you to prepare a document for optical character recognition. It lets you correct brigtness, contrast, etc., to eliminate problems in documents that may make it hard to recognize the text. There is a despeckle function as well. It also allows you to visually select parts of a document to recognize and exclude other parts. You can even determine in which way you want each section recognized--as text, table or image.

I find that once you have learned to use it, it is user-friendly and fast. Now that I have managed to force Nuance to iron out the problems I had in the beginning, I am very satisfied with it.

OmniPage Professional usually costs USD 500, but I think about 80% of copies sold goes at USD 100--Nuance is a real nuisance when it comes to e-mail marketing and I get an e-mail from them at least twice a week. They are constantly offering OmniPage Professional 17 at USD 100 (about once a month). If you try the software and are interested in buying it, let me know. Maybe I can arrange to buy it for you at the cheap price.

http://www.nuance.com/imaging/omnipage/omnipage-professional.asp

I have been using OmniPage Professional 15 and it seems to me that there is nothing new really in more recent versions. So, if you find a used copy of 15, 16 or 17, you can be sure that my description fits those versions. There are some great deals on ebay, for instance.

[Edited at 2009-07-21 17:55 GMT]
Collapse

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
English to Spanish
Nitro PDF Jul 21, 2009

I usually use Nitro PDF it is not expensive and it can convert PDF files into Word keeping the original format of the text.
You can also edit PDF files and add comments, replace pages, etc.
This is their Website

http://nitro-pdf.uptodown.com/

You can download the trial mode, the program costs $99, after the trial period ends, you can still use the program.
The o
... See more
I usually use Nitro PDF it is not expensive and it can convert PDF files into Word keeping the original format of the text.
You can also edit PDF files and add comments, replace pages, etc.
This is their Website

http://nitro-pdf.uptodown.com/

You can download the trial mode, the program costs $99, after the trial period ends, you can still use the program.
The only inconvenience is that it will save your PDF files with a small watermark, but it will still let you convert files into Word.

Daiana
Collapse

Olieslagers
Olieslagers
French Polynesia
Local time: 14:28
Dutch to French
+ ...
ABBYY PDF transformer Jul 21, 2009

I've been working with ABBYY PDF transformer 2.0 for quite a while, it's easy to use and it's a good value for money. There's a trial version you can download on: http://pdftransformer.abbyy.com/

Noëlle

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:28
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Abby Fine reader Jul 21, 2009

The basic use is extremely easy - just right click on the file and choose option Abby Fine reader>convert to Word. This program is good at handling multilingual files - big advantage for translators

Best Regards
S

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Another vote for Omnipage Jul 21, 2009

Many options to play with, and most of them worth trying. Batch processing. Multilingual support. I'm at version 14 and happy enough with it not to upgrade. Flawless when pdf is created from an electronic file but excellent even with scanned docs. I remember using it to OCR 700 pages, and then creating a TM from it through WinAlign - pretty tedious but quite fast, all things considered.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 02:28
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, definitly Omnipage Jul 21, 2009

Hi,

I'm getting very good results with Scansoft Omnipage, version 15. If you often work with TRUE PDF documents or with any sort of scanned documents (which is not the same!) then: take the necessary time to get familiar with this fine program.
You may choose a lot of time saving options as excluding grafics, simple text convertion within the MS WORD interface (Softscan PDF conversion allowing you to open directly any PDF within WORD), huge options about representing grafics i
... See more
Hi,

I'm getting very good results with Scansoft Omnipage, version 15. If you often work with TRUE PDF documents or with any sort of scanned documents (which is not the same!) then: take the necessary time to get familiar with this fine program.
You may choose a lot of time saving options as excluding grafics, simple text convertion within the MS WORD interface (Softscan PDF conversion allowing you to open directly any PDF within WORD), huge options about representing grafics in table format, pure text format, true page format etc.
Nothing left to any random results like in many other conversion tools.

However, it's not cheap (2003).

Advice: Absolutely stay away from version 11 !

Hope this will help,

Mike

[Edited at 2009-07-21 23:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-21 23:39 GMT]
Collapse

Lectorcito
Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
What kind of PDF? Jul 22, 2009

Andres Pacheco wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to know what's the best program to convert PDF files to Word. Also, does Acrobat Pro have an export function or you have to do it manually?

Are you asking about PDFs created from a scanned document (PDFs that are an image, that is) or PDFs created with a text processor or a similar program (PDFs where you can select and search text)?

ilaria panuccio
ilaria panuccio  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Abbyy Fine Reader Jul 22, 2009

I discovered that with this OCR even the conversion PDF-WORD is fantastic!

ilaria

Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone! Jul 22, 2009

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Lectorcito, I mean general conversion tools. I believe that I work mostly with PDFs where you can search and select text, though.

I am using Abby's trial edition and it is working OK. But I'll take into consideration your other suggestions for further experimentation!

Best regards,

Andres

Vladislav Badalov
Vladislav Badalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Free PDF to Word converter & PDF editor! Jul 24, 2009

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdf-to-word-3-0/

Go ahead as you have less than a day to download and install it!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:28
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Free PDF Editor - ABBYY Finereader Jul 24, 2009

Thank you, Vladislav, for the timely notification. That program seems to be a good editor.

I can vouch for ABBYY Finereader, which I have been using for some time. You have to get to know its layout recognition features, but it does a very good job of converting scanned images to formatted Word documents. Tables can be built as tables, text as text, and images, such as logos and signatures, can be kept as images, if you take the time to go over the document manually and tell the
... See more
Thank you, Vladislav, for the timely notification. That program seems to be a good editor.

I can vouch for ABBYY Finereader, which I have been using for some time. You have to get to know its layout recognition features, but it does a very good job of converting scanned images to formatted Word documents. Tables can be built as tables, text as text, and images, such as logos and signatures, can be kept as images, if you take the time to go over the document manually and tell the program how to handle each field.
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
FR Jul 28, 2009

One more vote for Abbyy FineReader.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:28
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Omnipage Jul 28, 2009

But, does Omnipage convert an image PDF into an editable file?
(I'm talking about those images containing text)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best PDF to Word conversion program

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »