Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:36
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mar 11, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I am in the process of switching from Win7 to OS X. I'm using Parallels. I am thinking about buying/upgrading to the most recent version of Abby FineReader. Generally speaking, I would of course prefer to run as much software as possible on OS X rather than on Parallels/Win7. Since I'm still mainly using Studio 2014, my question is whether the output files from the OS X version of Abby FineReader (docx) will be fine within the Win7 ecosystem? Or should I rather keep
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am in the process of switching from Win7 to OS X. I'm using Parallels. I am thinking about buying/upgrading to the most recent version of Abby FineReader. Generally speaking, I would of course prefer to run as much software as possible on OS X rather than on Parallels/Win7. Since I'm still mainly using Studio 2014, my question is whether the output files from the OS X version of Abby FineReader (docx) will be fine within the Win7 ecosystem? Or should I rather keep FineReader within Win7?

Edit to add: I should have added that I'm using OpenOffice on the Mac side, while I have a MS Office suite on Win7. Does that make any difference?

Many thanks for any hints,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-11 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save as odt Mar 11, 2015

MS Word handles docx files much better than OpenOffice does (obviously, as it is the native program), so if you are opening a docx file then the best program is MS Word, docx files saved in OS X are perfectly compatible with Win 7 so you will have no problem working with them.

However Abby also offers the option to save files in OpenOffice Writer (odt) format so if you want to work in OS X just have Abby save the file as an odt file and work with them in OS X.

[Edited at 2015
... See more
MS Word handles docx files much better than OpenOffice does (obviously, as it is the native program), so if you are opening a docx file then the best program is MS Word, docx files saved in OS X are perfectly compatible with Win 7 so you will have no problem working with them.

However Abby also offers the option to save files in OpenOffice Writer (odt) format so if you want to work in OS X just have Abby save the file as an odt file and work with them in OS X.

[Edited at 2015-03-11 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2015

Thanks, Alex,

My concern was rather whether Abby will be able to export to docx without a version of MS Office installed. I'm not planning to use OO for work.

So I gather that I'll be fine using Abby on OS X and working with the docx files with Parallels/Studio 2014.

Thanks a lot for confirming this. Apart from that, are there any other issues I might overlook? Are the Win and OS X version of Abby the same in terms of functionality?

Kind regard
... See more
Thanks, Alex,

My concern was rather whether Abby will be able to export to docx without a version of MS Office installed. I'm not planning to use OO for work.

So I gather that I'll be fine using Abby on OS X and working with the docx files with Parallels/Studio 2014.

Thanks a lot for confirming this. Apart from that, are there any other issues I might overlook? Are the Win and OS X version of Abby the same in terms of functionality?

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Answer Mar 11, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

As far as I am aware you don't need the program for Abby to save in that format.

Are the Win and OS X version of Abby the same in terms of functionality?

Sorry I've no idea, I use Win version

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Of course Mar 11, 2015

In Abbby for Mac the default output is to a text file, which you can open with just about anything. On the MacOS you can open it with, for instance, TextEdit, which is the WP application that comes as part of the OS. You can also save it as .docx but to do that I think you may have to have Word installed on your computer. Why not ask them?
... See more
In Abbby for Mac the default output is to a text file, which you can open with just about anything. On the MacOS you can open it with, for instance, TextEdit, which is the WP application that comes as part of the OS. You can also save it as .docx but to do that I think you may have to have Word installed on your computer. Why not ask them?

http://finereader.abbyy.com/pro_for_mac/tech_specs/

[Edited at 2015-03-11 14:04 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2015

Thanks to both of you!

Tom: I've missed the comparison chart on the Abby Website - thanks!

I'll check with support whether I'll need Office installed.

Thanks again!

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office not needed, but limited functionality of OS X version Mar 12, 2015

Just a feedback in case anyone else reads this:

Abby support have confirmed that FineReader doesn't need MS Office to be installed in order to export *.docx files.

They also warned me that the OS X version of FineReader lacks functions the Win version offers.

Thanks again, Alex and Tom.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Crossover Mac? Mar 12, 2015

ABBYY FineReader 10 is reported to run under Crossover Mac (a silver medal means that it runs almost as good as under Windows). Perhaps, Crossover is an option to consider.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Any deal-breakers? Mar 12, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:
They also warned me that the OS X version of FineReader lacks functions the Win version offers

Here's ABBY's own comparison table: http://www.abbyy.com/files/abbyy_finereader_mac_compare_with_windows.pdf
I can't find any deal-breakers, on the contrary, the Windows version seems to lack batch processing and scripting.

Cheers,

Hans (ABBY FineReader Express 2010 for OS X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abby FineReader - OSX or Win7?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »