Michael Brewer
Michael Brewer  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:32
Member (2018)
German to English
Sep 17, 2015

Hello all,

I have a client who has a mail-order business shipping products from the US to Japan. He says there is a problem with converting Japanese addresses into English. He's asked me if there is some sort of app to help with this issue or some other tip. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your assistance….

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:32
English to Thai
+ ...
Reference Sep 18, 2015

Arboy28 wrote:

Hello all,

I have a client who has a mail-order business shipping products from the US to Japan. He says there is a problem with converting Japanese addresses into English. He's asked me if there is some sort of app to help with this issue or some other tip. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your assistance….

The following material can be helpful to explain about Japanese address:

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=XN4v5PsizBsC&pg=PA467&lpg=PA467&dq=jusho%20nihongo%20address&source=bl&ots=EEm0pkwSKO&sig=oTYvOZG1e-60BiDDsy2lJ0nu1jY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBmoVChMIgfvapab_xwIVxhmUCh0E0g6t#v=onepage&q=jusho%20nihongo%20address&f=false

Soonthon L.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 06:32
What type of problem? Sep 18, 2015

Do you have any more details about specifically what type of problem your client is having? Is it difficulty translating the Kanji and Katakana into Roman letters? Or is it difficulty in the format (i.e. Japanese addresses read big to small - prefecture, city, street address; while US addresses are the opposite - street address, city, state)?

Also, you say mail order business - does your client get these addresses through email or a web form (much easier to convert) or are they hand
... See more
Do you have any more details about specifically what type of problem your client is having? Is it difficulty translating the Kanji and Katakana into Roman letters? Or is it difficulty in the format (i.e. Japanese addresses read big to small - prefecture, city, street address; while US addresses are the opposite - street address, city, state)?

Also, you say mail order business - does your client get these addresses through email or a web form (much easier to convert) or are they hand written (a much more difficult problem)?

Kevin
Collapse

Michael Brewer
Switzerland
Member (2018)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 18, 2015

thanks for your help! I will pass that link on to the customer and also try to get further info on what precisely the problem is...this was helpful...

Michael Brewer
Switzerland
Member (2018)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
question Sep 18, 2015

The client is wondering if perhaps there is an existing database of Japanese addresses in English that one can use to enter addresses in Japanese and receive the corresponding English version? Sounds logical, but does such a thing exist?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Who will read the converted addresses? Sep 18, 2015

FWIW: A postman, mailman, letter carrier in Japan. Moscow, Athen etc. may or may not be able to read Latin characters and/or understand address forms. That's why I learnt (in Germany, though) that addresses should be written in the form, which the foreign postman expects. Underneath of the address we put the country name in Latin capitals, so that our German post office knows to which target country the letter should be routed.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This Sep 19, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

FWIW: A postman, mailman, letter carrier in Japan. Moscow, Athen etc. may or may not be able to read Latin characters and/or understand address forms. That's why I learnt (in Germany, though) that addresses should be written in the form, which the foreign postman expects. Underneath of the address we put the country name in Latin capitals, so that our German post office knows to which target country the letter should be routed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with translating Japanese addresses into English

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »