bug or feature? wordfast automatically adds spaces between dots
Thread poster: Simon Baumberg
Simon Baumberg
Simon Baumberg
Local time: 11:47
German to English
Aug 17, 2016

Hello,

I am using Wordfast Classic v.6.13 in Office 2007 under a Windows 7 OS.

The problem/phenomenon I am experiencing is that in each new sentence taken for segmenting, Wordfast adds spaces between the dots (points/periods).

Back when I first installed Wordfast and got it running, I remember seeing some prompt asking me if I wanted to have some kind of feature turned on in which spaces would be added, and I didn't know what it meant and clicked ok without
... See more
Hello,

I am using Wordfast Classic v.6.13 in Office 2007 under a Windows 7 OS.

The problem/phenomenon I am experiencing is that in each new sentence taken for segmenting, Wordfast adds spaces between the dots (points/periods).

Back when I first installed Wordfast and got it running, I remember seeing some prompt asking me if I wanted to have some kind of feature turned on in which spaces would be added, and I didn't know what it meant and clicked ok without thinking. It seems that this bug/feature has set itself up universally and I don't know how to shut it off.

For example, if the sentence contains a URL like this:
"Hello, I am going to log in at http://www.proz.com."

Wordfast will turn the sentence into
"Hello, I am going to log in at http://www. proz. com."

Or if I have a sentence with dates in it like this:
"On Thursday 12.12.2016 I had to work late."

Wordfast will turn the sentence into:
"On Thursday 12. 12. 2016 I had to work late."

I have often tried googling terms like "Wordfast adds spaces", but I can't find any reference to this function and I don't know how to turn it off.
Is anybody familiar with this functionality and know how to switch it off?
I would really appreciate it, because I am fed up with having to reinsert these spaces all the time.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you try newest version? Aug 18, 2016

I use WFC 6.44.
I don't find any entry for your feature, but have you tried to reset in Setup?

Simon Baumberg
Simon Baumberg
Local time: 11:47
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried a reset under the Setup tab - did not help Aug 24, 2016

Thank you for your replay and suggestion.
I have not tried the newest version yet.

I did get around to trying a reset under the Setup tab, though.
Unfortunately, after the reset, in a translation text with several URLs and dates (formatted: dd.mm.yyyy) the phenomenon continued to persist. In other words, spaces are still being added ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bug or feature? wordfast automatically adds spaces between dots

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »