Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:05
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2021

This annoys me so much when I receive emails saying 'can you do the translation/interpreting to bahasa?', as if bahasa is the name of the Indonesian language.

Indonesian language is called Bahasa Indonesia or in English it is Indonesian, not bahasa. Bahasa means language, so when we say bahasa Indonesia it means the Indonesian language. We can't just say 'bahasa' as it can be any 'bahasa'. In Indonesian we say bahasa Inggris for English, bahasa Prancis for French, bahasa Jepang for
... See more
This annoys me so much when I receive emails saying 'can you do the translation/interpreting to bahasa?', as if bahasa is the name of the Indonesian language.

Indonesian language is called Bahasa Indonesia or in English it is Indonesian, not bahasa. Bahasa means language, so when we say bahasa Indonesia it means the Indonesian language. We can't just say 'bahasa' as it can be any 'bahasa'. In Indonesian we say bahasa Inggris for English, bahasa Prancis for French, bahasa Jepang for Japanese etc. So, please say Indonesian or bahasa Indonesia.
Collapse

Lucia Aryani
Kardi Kho
Verginia
A. & S. Witte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bahasa Indonesia or Indonesian NOT just bahasa

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »