Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 4, 2022

I read this opinion story in The Guardian today:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/04/american-emily-in-paris-television-netflix

This seems typical for American and perhaps also other English speaking people, they have no idea how much it takes to learn a foreign language. They have no idea how long it ta
... See more
I read this opinion story in The Guardian today:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/04/american-emily-in-paris-television-netflix

This seems typical for American and perhaps also other English speaking people, they have no idea how much it takes to learn a foreign language. They have no idea how long it takes to learn English either, how much effort hundreds of million people put into it every day.
Of course no language will stick after a year, much less still if you as an English speaker take every opportunity to speak English abroad.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:11
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Menages a trois. Jan 4, 2022

The article author just totally used “manages a trois” which means a “threesome”, in this sentence:

Sometimes the messiness of life – job changes, pregnancies, menages a trois – gets in the way of best intentions.

Maybe they were trying to be funny, but failed severely.

[Edited at 2022-01-04 18:10 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Local time: 11:11
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Jan 4, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

The article author just totally used “manages a trois” which means a “threesome”, in this sentence:

Sometimes the messiness of life – job changes, pregnancies, menages a trois – gets in the way of best intentions.

Maybe they were trying to be funny, but failed severely.

[Edited at 2022-01-04 18:10 GMT]

I believe they're just referring to one of the series plot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"I even enrolled in an adult French course for foreigners"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »