What movies would you recommend for a 1st-2nd level class?
Thread poster: Andrea Macarie (X)
Andrea Macarie (X)
Andrea Macarie (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:52
Spanish to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2007

Hello,

I have a 1st-2nd level (Spanish system) English group, whom I would like to play a movie, but I´m not sure which one would be appropriate given the group´s level. Any ideas of Xmas related ones, also?

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Age? Dec 9, 2007

Andrea Macarie wrote:

Hello,

I have a 1st-2nd level (Spanish system) English group, whom I would like to play a movie, but I´m not sure which one would be appropriate given the group´s level. Any ideas of Xmas related ones, also?

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Is that 1st-2nd level in school, university??

What age group are we talking about here?

Andrea Macarie (X)
Spain
Spanish to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adults, 25 - 35 Dec 9, 2007

Many thanks!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good quality children's movies Dec 10, 2007

Like Cars, Shrek, etc.

Good children's movies have a 'deeper' layer that also entertains adults.
And the language isn't too difficult.

Perhaps, Men in Black I would also be nice.

These are only suggestions, my husband and I enjoyed watching these in English. But then again, some people tell us we need to grow up a bit more...:-)

For the Christmas season, the classic movie in Europe is of course Sound of Music, and I seem to remeber there'
... See more
Like Cars, Shrek, etc.

Good children's movies have a 'deeper' layer that also entertains adults.
And the language isn't too difficult.

Perhaps, Men in Black I would also be nice.

These are only suggestions, my husband and I enjoyed watching these in English. But then again, some people tell us we need to grow up a bit more...:-)

For the Christmas season, the classic movie in Europe is of course Sound of Music, and I seem to remeber there's also a good movie based on Dickens' A Christmas Carol (you know, Ebenezer Scrooge), not sure if they kept the title.

Enjoy! And have a good Christmas!
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:22
German to English
Movies based on classics Dec 10, 2007

Hi,

Maybe some of the movies based on classics would also interest students of English in that age group, e.g. the films and serials based on Jane Austen's novels. "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility" were good. The Merchant/Ivory production of E.M. Forster's "A Room with a View" is also worth seeing.

You could also try and get hold of DVDs of some old BBC TV serials such as "Yes, Minister" or "Yes, Prime Minister" in which the English is very clear and ea
... See more
Hi,

Maybe some of the movies based on classics would also interest students of English in that age group, e.g. the films and serials based on Jane Austen's novels. "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility" were good. The Merchant/Ivory production of E.M. Forster's "A Room with a View" is also worth seeing.

You could also try and get hold of DVDs of some old BBC TV serials such as "Yes, Minister" or "Yes, Prime Minister" in which the English is very clear and easy to understand. They're also very funny!

Unfortunately, I don't know of many movies revolving around Christmas. Following on from Margreet's recommendation of children's movies, I think "Home Alone Kevin" also takes place around Christmas.

Have fun!

Best regards,
Niraja
Collapse

Andrea Macarie (X)
Spain
Spanish to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks and Merry X-mas! Dec 13, 2007

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What movies would you recommend for a 1st-2nd level class?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »