What happens to headers if translated with Trados, when cleaning them up?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 16:25
German to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 4, 2004

Hi,

I have done a few files with Trados, but due to tight deadlines I mostly limited myself to basic functions.
Today I have tried to clean a file with Trados (6.5) and I have noticed that the header, which I have edited with Trados was cleaned, but the formatting was lost and instead of being a header, it was a normal table inserted in the text. Is that something normal or did I do something worng?
Thanks.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Was this formatted as a header? Mar 4, 2004

Hi Eli,
IOW: was this section set in a different area of the text (i.e. the header/footer area)?

Ralf

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry, it's too late for me :-) Mar 4, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Eli,
IOW: was this section set in a different area of the text (i.e. the header/footer area)?

Ralf

I don't understand what you mean. I'll try to explain it more clearly, but I can give no guarantees.

I have a Word document from the client, with a header containing the title of the document, the editor, the release, the date, etc. (usual info in the header). I open the header (after translating the file with Trados), I open the text in the header as Trados segments and I translate them, so that they are in the memory (I have about 20 documents with the same header). When Trados goes through all the text, I close the header and when I clean the file, instead of the header I had in the original I have a table, as a normal part of the text, not as a header.
Hope I explained it more clearly this time. If not, I'll try again tomorrow, after I get some sleep.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Never seen this happen before... Mar 4, 2004

Hi Eli,
No problem at all - I just wanted to make sure that the header actually is a header, not just a bit of normal text on top.

Sorry, no idea what may have happened there...?

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happens to headers if translated with Trados, when cleaning them up?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »