Using ImagesOutIn with Trados
Thread poster: Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
German to English
Aug 4, 2004

hello,
when using imagesoutin with Trados, what do you do about pictures, they are tags actually, that are within the text strings themselves and were removed, e.g "Dazu muss der Anwender auf den Knopf ((image)) drücken und den gewünschten Tag auswählen. The user is required to press the button and select the desired day."? Do I need to copy that image and paste it into the target sentence? If not, how does the macro know where to place it?
I need to return this file uncleaned bu
... See more
hello,
when using imagesoutin with Trados, what do you do about pictures, they are tags actually, that are within the text strings themselves and were removed, e.g "Dazu muss der Anwender auf den Knopf ((image)) drücken und den gewünschten Tag auswählen. The user is required to press the button and select the desired day."? Do I need to copy that image and paste it into the target sentence? If not, how does the macro know where to place it?
I need to return this file uncleaned but with the images put back in. Are they like tags that have to be put in the target text?

Also I have other bookmarks that have appeared that I don't recognize, e.g. "Durch Auswahl einer Datei aus dem Drop-Down-Feld {1>{xe "Drop-Down-Feld"}
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Sometimes macro works, sometimes not Aug 4, 2004

Hi Sonya!
I had exactly the same problems you had today, oddly enough.

The complementary macro to return the images merely moves the images in sequence to the original file (have the image file open in the background, and make sure you didn't rename the original file). I discovered today that the macro doesn't always return all the images, so you have to paste them manually. (It's worked fine in the past, however). Transferring the images manually isn't particularly hard as lo
... See more
Hi Sonya!
I had exactly the same problems you had today, oddly enough.

The complementary macro to return the images merely moves the images in sequence to the original file (have the image file open in the background, and make sure you didn't rename the original file). I discovered today that the macro doesn't always return all the images, so you have to paste them manually. (It's worked fine in the past, however). Transferring the images manually isn't particularly hard as long as you keep track of them.

The other issue you encountered has to do with bookmarks and references. On two jobs in a row from the same client, Trados has inserted strange and inappropriate text at an an internal reference. Fortunately my client wanted a cleaned file, so I was able to fix it, although the uncleaned file has the 3-4 errors. The bookmark handler macro didn't prevent it.

HTH,
Kevin
Collapse

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Macro problems cont. Aug 5, 2004

Thanks for the info Kevin.
I think it probably works the best when you are working with regular images and not all these internal macros.
This is a subcontract so I will just have to tell the customer to make sure they check it before they send it out. I will make sure that all the pictures are pasted back in, but I can't do anything about the internal tags until after cleanup. The pictures alone are going to be a pain if I have to do it manually however. There is almost one on every
... See more
Thanks for the info Kevin.
I think it probably works the best when you are working with regular images and not all these internal macros.
This is a subcontract so I will just have to tell the customer to make sure they check it before they send it out. I will make sure that all the pictures are pasted back in, but I can't do anything about the internal tags until after cleanup. The pictures alone are going to be a pain if I have to do it manually however. There is almost one on every page of a 60 page document.
I forgot to clarify something. I assume this means that I do have to go through and paste all these images into the target text, i.e. when the image is in the middle of a translation string?

Sonya

[Edited at 2004-08-05 11:25]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Macro probably only works for cleaned text Aug 5, 2004

Since the macro to return the images appears to move the graphics in sequence, rather than according to any specified tag (I haven't looked at the macro syntax), you won't be able to run it on bilingual text, since ((image)) in the *first target segment* will be replaced by the *second* graphic (the first image will replace the first ((image)).

I also recently had a job in which the graphics scattered all over the page when I tried working with them. Running the macro didn't help a
... See more
Since the macro to return the images appears to move the graphics in sequence, rather than according to any specified tag (I haven't looked at the macro syntax), you won't be able to run it on bilingual text, since ((image)) in the *first target segment* will be replaced by the *second* graphic (the first image will replace the first ((image)).

I also recently had a job in which the graphics scattered all over the page when I tried working with them. Running the macro didn't help at all, and strangely enough, when I worked on the file using Trados with the images intact, most of them disappeared in the target text. Like your current text, there were all sorts of graphic buttons in the middle of sentences, signal lights, valve positions, etc. that were located right with the text.

The bookmark issue is really vexing. I found that a certain series of identical passages with references had target text that was completely unrelated to the passage or reference. The tags were screwed up, too. I wish there were some way to work with files like these in TagEditor. In fact, I'd prefer the TagEditor interface for everything.
I share your frustration.
Kevin
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:57
English to Czech
+ ...
ImagesOutIn macro Aug 5, 2004

As far as I know, the workflow should be as follows:

Run the macro in the source document (Images Out), translate using Trados and copy the tags in the target segments, clean the document and run the macro again (Images In).

I am not sure what would happen if you ran the Images In macro in an uncleaned document with the image tags in both source and target segments - you can try that. But it doesn't make sense to use the macro and return uncleaned document with i
... See more
As far as I know, the workflow should be as follows:

Run the macro in the source document (Images Out), translate using Trados and copy the tags in the target segments, clean the document and run the macro again (Images In).

I am not sure what would happen if you ran the Images In macro in an uncleaned document with the image tags in both source and target segments - you can try that. But it doesn't make sense to use the macro and return uncleaned document with images. The purpose of the macro is to remove images to make using a CAT tool easier.

Also, don't forget to follow the instructions in the Readme file:

The Out/In macros work only on inline objects*. If you need to remove floating objects, you will first have to convert them into inline objects, using the first macro.

* The easiest way to distinguish between floating and inline objects is by selecting them: the sizing handles of a floating object are hollow, while those of an inline object are black.

As for the xe field, it's an index entry. It should be copied to the target segment and translated. The field is visible only if you enable displaying of hidden text.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using ImagesOutIn with Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »