Thread poster: Wei Peng Loy
Wei Peng Loy
Wei Peng Loy  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to uncheck the "Multiple translations" check box in the Tools tab of Translation Memory Options of Trados FL 6.5. I don't know why but my check box was checked and the check box is disabled, i.e. I couldn't uncheck it even if I want to.

I read that the default option is unchecked. Does anybody know how to uncheck the check box?

Thanks.

Regards
Loy

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:57
English to German
+ ...
Setup option that cannot be changed Aug 31, 2004

Hi Loy,
This is an option that is set when creating a TM - you cannot change it afterwards. To effect that change, export the contents of your existing database, create a new TM and import the data.

But what is your problem with that setting?

Best regards, Ralf

Wei Peng Loy
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple translations check box unchecked Aug 31, 2004

Hi Ralf,

I see. That means I have to export my old TM, create another new TM with the Multiple Translations check box unchecked and imported the old TM text file into the new TM.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with the selection except that I have a client who wants me to follow his settings on the TM exactly, which had the Multiple Translations check box unchecked. So I thought whether selecting the check box will affect anything in his TM.

If it doesn't,
... See more
Hi Ralf,

I see. That means I have to export my old TM, create another new TM with the Multiple Translations check box unchecked and imported the old TM text file into the new TM.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with the selection except that I have a client who wants me to follow his settings on the TM exactly, which had the Multiple Translations check box unchecked. So I thought whether selecting the check box will affect anything in his TM.

If it doesn't, then I'd just leave it as that.

Thanks.
Loy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:57
English to German
+ ...
That depends on how you exchange data Aug 31, 2004

Hi again,

If it doesn't, then I'd just leave it as that.

This depends on how you return your work to your client. The typical reason for requiring specific settings is segmentation - the 'multiple TU' setting doesn't impact on that, nor will there be a problem if you return an uncleaned file.

HTH, Ralf

Wei Peng Loy
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Leave settings as-is Aug 31, 2004

Hi,

In that case, I feel at ease because I will be returning an uncleaned file to my client.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple translations option in Translation Memory Options

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »