How to define/change the translation unit in Trados?
Thread poster: Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
Local time: 09:37
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2004

Normally Trados would decide about the translation unit to be translated at once. These are mostly limited by dot or new line. Now this not always applies as dots can occur after abbreviations and sentences can span over several lines (eg. enumerations)
Is there a way to be able to select (change Trados' selection) the traslation unit as convenient?
I use Trados Frelance 6.5

Thanks,

Rita

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Segmentation rules / expand segment Dec 12, 2004

Hi Rita,
You can change the general segmentation rules (File - Setup - Segmentation Rules - there you can also set lists for abbreviations and ordinal followers).

When translating, you can expand or shrink segments using the corresponding command or shortcut (check the Trados menu in Word, for example). Note that you cannot expand across paragraph breaks, or into segments that have already been segmented.

HTH, Ralf

Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paragraph Problem Dec 12, 2004

Hi Ralf,

thanks for your response. So what I understand, there is no way to overcome the paragraph breaks. I would be interested what people do if this becomes a problem because of word sequence in diferent languages.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Re-format paragraphs if necessary... Dec 12, 2004

Hi again,
So what I understand, there is no way to overcome the paragraph breaks.

Sure - you can re-format the source text if appropriate, but that shouldn't be a too frequent occurrence. Segmentation problems do occur with badly formatted source texts, though - for example, if the source was taken from a PDF file using copy & paste.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to define/change the translation unit in Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »