Thread poster: SusannaC
SusannaC
SusannaC  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 14, 2004

Dear all,
I am using TagEditor to translate web pages, for the first time the client is complaining about the fact that apparently the original web page has 89 lines of html code, while my translated file has just 16.
The translated web page is displayed as the original...
Do you know why is this happens?
Do you know how to avoid that?
Do you know if is it a real problem?
Thank you!
Susanna

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
More details Dec 14, 2004

Hello,

there some possible problems:

1: HTML code is incorrect. Use the fuill tag view and take a look ont the tags. Are there some texte elements whioch TagEditors has included in long tags ? --> Fix the4 html structure errors.

2: There is text in skripts. --> Try to edit the ini for the htmal files. It is possible to make text in attributes of Tags translatable.

Regards

Hans

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 04:36
English to Russian
A missing quote can do a lot of harm Dec 14, 2004

DSC wrote: 1: HTML code is incorrect.

My point too. A missing quote may prevent CAT from handling the code properly, at the sam etime the browser will not stumble on it. Look for online code verifiers or inspect it yourself. Some reference is here http://www.w3schools.com

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:36
English to German
+ ...
Check what is missing Dec 14, 2004

If you open the source and target files in Notepad you can probably see what is missing. And this is not necessarily a real problem, because double spaces and end of paragraph marks are usually ignored by browsers anyway (except in "pre" tags).

SusannaC
SusannaC  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
consider that a script error is present in the original Dec 14, 2004

I know... but:

1) anytime I opened the original web page a script error message was displayed..
2) the script error was displayed everytime that I made the preview in TagEditor both in original page and on the transaltion
3) I do not why but at a certain point instead of going to a new line... everything is written in a one long long long line, I mean translation and html....
Is it my duty as translator to fix it?
Thanks

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

DSC wrote: 1: HTML code is incorrect.

My point too. A missing quote may prevent CAT from handling the code properly, at the sam etime the browser will not stumble on it. Look for online code verifiers or inspect it yourself. Some reference is here http://www.w3schools.com[/quote]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:36
English to German
+ ...
Unix format? Dec 14, 2004

Just another idea: if the file was (partially) written on Linux and downloaded as binary instead of ASCII, the Unix line breaks (as opposed to Windows line breaks) could cause this behaviour, including the script error.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor "shrinks" html code

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »