Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 1, 2003

Does anyone know, if Transit pxf files can be translated with Wordfast or easily be changed into a text file?

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
German to English
+ ...
converting pxf/txf to text May 1, 2003

I don\'t work with Wordfast, so I can\'t help you on that point.

But transit files pxf and txf are zipped text files, so they can be converted into text relatively easily:

1. Rename file.pxf to file.zip

2. Unzip.

2. Open with Word.

You now have the text + segment numbers and tags. These can be removed relatively easily either manually or with search and replace (e.g. replace \"^?^?^?^?^p\" by \"^p\" to get rid of
... See more
I don\'t work with Wordfast, so I can\'t help you on that point.

But transit files pxf and txf are zipped text files, so they can be converted into text relatively easily:

1. Rename file.pxf to file.zip

2. Unzip.

2. Open with Word.

You now have the text + segment numbers and tags. These can be removed relatively easily either manually or with search and replace (e.g. replace \"^?^?^?^?^p\" by \"^p\" to get rid of the last 4 characters of a line). If there are several files, it is probably best to copy them into a single file first. And if you want to do this often, then record a macro.

Have fun!

regards, Jill
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I´m afraid not May 1, 2003

I have asked by DejaVU and SDL, and both cannot do with Transit.

Transit files are structured files, so perhaps one could extract the text, but there is no software for doing this AFAIK.

I would be glad too, if I could find a solution for this case.

Kind regards

Jerzy

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
another thought May 1, 2003

Another possibility is to download Satelite PE (free) from Star\'s website (http://www.star-solution.com/html/eng/support/Transit-SAT-PE.html) (excellent tutorials etc. also available) and install. Import the file and copy the text you require by dragging the mouse in the text (I\'ve found no other way to do this). Paste this text into Word. You only have boxes and < sig... See more
Another possibility is to download Satelite PE (free) from Star\'s website (http://www.star-solution.com/html/eng/support/Transit-SAT-PE.html) (excellent tutorials etc. also available) and install. Import the file and copy the text you require by dragging the mouse in the text (I\'ve found no other way to do this). Paste this text into Word. You only have boxes and < signs to remove using this method.

You could, of course, use Satellite to translate the text, export the file and then convert to standard text. I was more or less forced to start using Satellite by my agency. After an initially slow period of training, I now find this CAT software a great help - particularly termstar, which is miles ahead of Multiterm from Trados - and even purchased the full version, Transit XV. Nowadays, I can\'t imagine translating a text without either Transit or Trados.

[ This Message was edited by: JillSch on 2003-05-01 09:16]
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:55
German to English
+ ...
Most seem to be forced to use Transit May 1, 2003

Frankly, this program is a pain in the butt. I have used several CATs and was asked by my client to use Transit for a car-related job. It just drove me crazy - and not just me, the other translators as well, as the agency admitted.

Major problem is the incompatibility. I have several good TMs for this topic, but was not able to use it because the TMs of Transit cannot easily import and export TMs in lets say TRADOS format, like SDLX or DEJA.

The other problem is that this thi
... See more
Frankly, this program is a pain in the butt. I have used several CATs and was asked by my client to use Transit for a car-related job. It just drove me crazy - and not just me, the other translators as well, as the agency admitted.

Major problem is the incompatibility. I have several good TMs for this topic, but was not able to use it because the TMs of Transit cannot easily import and export TMs in lets say TRADOS format, like SDLX or DEJA.

The other problem is that this thing just does not learn quickly enough. It sometimes takes ages before a result comes up. For example, I had hundreds of \"12V to 14V\", which is the battery voltage and therefore appeared all over the place. This should come up in an instant, but in fact it took up to 4 (!) minutes before the program spit out a result, and that over and over again. I had to upgrade my 600 MHz Celeron to a 2.4 GHz P4, just to be able to even work with it.

It obviously has a linear search module, which means that it does not jump in a certain pattern to the segement of a TM but starts at \"Adam and Eve\" over and over again. This is most obvious with items containing numbers.

So my advice would be, if you have any chance to use something else, stay away from it. This was the unisono conclusion of all of my colleagues as well.

Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English to French
Some data on PXF May 1, 2003

1. PXF does open as a normal zip file -that\'s what it is after all.

2. The language files can be opened in word.

3. If you just want to translate in Wordfast, or any other CAT, use the target language file, remove all extra tags, and translate as usual. However, if your customer send a pxf, he will expect a transit export, which means that you can not just remove the extra tags - you would not be able to export anything sensible.

4. If you are skilled in tagging,
... See more
1. PXF does open as a normal zip file -that\'s what it is after all.

2. The language files can be opened in word.

3. If you just want to translate in Wordfast, or any other CAT, use the target language file, remove all extra tags, and translate as usual. However, if your customer send a pxf, he will expect a transit export, which means that you can not just remove the extra tags - you would not be able to export anything sensible.

4. If you are skilled in tagging, you can use +tools to prepare the file, assigning internal and external styles to all the tags of the document. Depending on your document it can be relatively easy or a total pain in the ass.

5. If you managed to tag, you can simply translate in Wordfast, untag the file, replace the original file in the pxf (remember, it\'s just a compressed file.)

6. import in transit satellite, check it out and export the file.

7. Don\'t forget that your pxf may contain more then just the language pairs, and that you will have to open the terminology files...

At all times, don\'t forget you are doing something a little risky, and save your work, keep copies of the files before you work on them.

In other words, it can be done, but is it really worth it to go through all that instead of merely doing the job with transit sat? (Very limited, I know) Unless you have a really large project with plenty of time to do the testing AND that you are confident enough in your tagging abilities..., I wouldn\'t advise it.

Hope this helps,

Sylvain

Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to all May 17, 2003

Very good advice. Fortunately the project seems to habe skipped my agency.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit pxf

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »