Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 14:22
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Apr 24, 2009

Today I made a mistake and restored the untranslated original for the whole (11-thousand-word) project instead of just one segment, and NXT crashed when I was trying to "undo". It looked like I would have to do all the work once again (a nightmarish notion indeed) but after a consultation with Star Czech support I found out that there is a "super backup" (file extension ".save"), which saved me from that kind of unnecessary work and enabled me to keep the deadline.

So, I am sharing
... See more
Today I made a mistake and restored the untranslated original for the whole (11-thousand-word) project instead of just one segment, and NXT crashed when I was trying to "undo". It looked like I would have to do all the work once again (a nightmarish notion indeed) but after a consultation with Star Czech support I found out that there is a "super backup" (file extension ".save"), which saved me from that kind of unnecessary work and enabled me to keep the deadline.

So, I am sharing this info with anyone who might find themselves in a tight corner of this sort.

Antonin
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Very useful... Apr 27, 2009

...indeed, Antonín. Thanx for the info!

Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
Saved after closing file without saving Nov 20, 2013

And if I may add:

When you close a file without saving it (as I did), DON'T reopen it (as I did). Instead, use an undelete tool such as "recuva" and recover the corresponding *.BAK file into a separate directory.

As far as I found out, Transit (at least XV) uses the BAK file for the Autosave function (which has to be activated, of course). When you close the file without saving, it deletes the BAK file, which contains your work up to this point. Might be worth a try.... See more
And if I may add:

When you close a file without saving it (as I did), DON'T reopen it (as I did). Instead, use an undelete tool such as "recuva" and recover the corresponding *.BAK file into a separate directory.

As far as I found out, Transit (at least XV) uses the BAK file for the Autosave function (which has to be activated, of course). When you close the file without saving, it deletes the BAK file, which contains your work up to this point. Might be worth a try.

Lutz
Collapse

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
no .bak or .save files in project folders :-( Nov 20, 2013

Hi

I remember regularly using .bak-files if something went wrong with my project in Transit NXT.

However, two weeks ago, I closed Transit files without saving them, losing a couple of hours' work. And realized I haven't seen .bak files in my project folders for quite a while. The checkbox Backup Copy in the Miscellaneous part of the Edit tab is checked. And I would not know what else to set in regards to backup copies.

Does anyone have an idea why my Trans
... See more
Hi

I remember regularly using .bak-files if something went wrong with my project in Transit NXT.

However, two weeks ago, I closed Transit files without saving them, losing a couple of hours' work. And realized I haven't seen .bak files in my project folders for quite a while. The checkbox Backup Copy in the Miscellaneous part of the Edit tab is checked. And I would not know what else to set in regards to backup copies.

Does anyone have an idea why my Transit does not create .bak files? Or if it does, where they would be if not in the project folder?

TIA
Iris
Collapse

Different intention? Nov 21, 2013

IMHO, the BAK files are intended for a fall back procedure if Transit is closed unexpectedly (e.g. forced by Windows' Task Manager). In this case, Transit detects BAK files in the working folder and offers to restore the language pairs from the BAK files.

The behaviour of Transit is similar to AutoSave feature in Word or other applications: When you close the language pair (or Word document) properly, you can decide to save or not to save your work.
In both cases, there is no
... See more
IMHO, the BAK files are intended for a fall back procedure if Transit is closed unexpectedly (e.g. forced by Windows' Task Manager). In this case, Transit detects BAK files in the working folder and offers to restore the language pairs from the BAK files.

The behaviour of Transit is similar to AutoSave feature in Word or other applications: When you close the language pair (or Word document) properly, you can decide to save or not to save your work.
In both cases, there is no need for a fall back procedure, therefore the BAK files are deleted. The same applies when have your your language pair (or Word doc) opened and press the save button.
In other words: As in Word, the AutoSave feature "heals" application crashes, but (unluckely) no user errors.

Therefore: Pressing CTRL+S regularly is always a good idea. And some messages are worth to be read.

Oiseau noir

[Edited at 2013-11-21 12:59 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saved by .save in NXT

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »