Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feb 16, 2011

Hi Everyone,

Can Transit NXT SP4.3 handle SDLXLIFF files without problems?

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Handling SDLXLIFF some quirks Feb 27, 2011

Import of a SDLXLIFF project is possible but I cannot get an XLIFF project out:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509643/Proz/xliff.pdf

(Sorry: Dutch only)

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Translating SDLXLIFF with Transit NXT Mar 1, 2011

Hi Everyone,

Good news: it turned out that my difficulties were caused by the fact that the SDLXLIFF didn't contain an original file name. The field 'file original' was empty. When I inserted a file name (file original="example.doc") everything worked as advertised.

Good news, me thinks ...

One competitive file format tackled, one more to go (Across).

Hans

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:53
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
How does it work ? Jan 6, 2012

Hello Hans,

I managed to import sdlxliff files so far, but there are a number of problems, that make the work in these files fairly awkward. First, I have to rename the file in xlf to have Transit wanting to read them. Then each and every file is considered as one project, therefore if you have a Trados project with multiple files, it makes the handling of the project as a whole quite complicated. Once I have opened a file, the segments containing structure tags only are not marked
... See more
Hello Hans,

I managed to import sdlxliff files so far, but there are a number of problems, that make the work in these files fairly awkward. First, I have to rename the file in xlf to have Transit wanting to read them. Then each and every file is considered as one project, therefore if you have a Trados project with multiple files, it makes the handling of the project as a whole quite complicated. Once I have opened a file, the segments containing structure tags only are not marked as translated and you have to go through them during translation. Moreover, the text is segmented paragraph-wise and it is not possible to change the segmentation to obtain a sentence-wise segmentation (to be able to use the reference material correctly).

Do you have a work-flow to solve all these?

Sincerely,
Geneviève
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Merging XLIFF Jan 6, 2012

Hi Geneviève,

First, I have to rename the file in xlf to have Transit wanting to read them.

There are many good file renamers. TotalCommander also has one.

Then each and every file is considered as one project, therefore if you have a Trados project with multiple files, it makes the handling of the project as a whole quite complicated.

You can use an XLIFF merger, like:

http://www.maxprograms.com/products/xliffmerger.html

Once I have opened a file, the segments containing structure tags only are not marked as translated and you have to go through them during translation. Moreover, the text is segmented paragraph-wise and it is not possible to change the segmentation to obtain a sentence-wise segmentation

Can it be that this is caused by Trados?

BR,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran and Transit Jan 6, 2012

Hi Geneviève,

I just used www.cafetran.com to create an XLIFF file and opened that in Transit NXT (Unpack). Looks nice.

I guess you could do the same trick with TTX:

TTX > CafeTran > XLIFF > Transit

BTW: I think Swordfish (www.maxprograms.com) can also change the segmentation
... See more
Hi Geneviève,

I just used www.cafetran.com to create an XLIFF file and opened that in Transit NXT (Unpack). Looks nice.

I guess you could do the same trick with TTX:

TTX > CafeTran > XLIFF > Transit

BTW: I think Swordfish (www.maxprograms.com) can also change the segmentation of the TTX from paragraph-based to sentence-based. But then again, it is something the client should get right.

IMO CafeTran offers a nice, multi-platform alternative for Transit at an incredible price of only EUR 80,00.

BR,

Hans
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Success - with Swordfish Jan 7, 2012

Hello Hans,

Thanks for the interesting tips.

I had no success with the Swordfish xlf merger alone: here, I have been been able to generate a merged file with the Swordfish application, however, no translation software is able to read this file, not even Swordfish itself. (Error message indicating a syntax mistake: namespace prefix sdl on ref-files not defined - while I have been comparing this file with another working file, without being able to spot any striking diff
... See more
Hello Hans,

Thanks for the interesting tips.

I had no success with the Swordfish xlf merger alone: here, I have been been able to generate a merged file with the Swordfish application, however, no translation software is able to read this file, not even Swordfish itself. (Error message indicating a syntax mistake: namespace prefix sdl on ref-files not defined - while I have been comparing this file with another working file, without being able to spot any striking difference).

However, Swordfish allows to "convert xliff to xliff", that is: I used the import ("convert") function to convert sdlxliff to one single xlf file. Then I have been able to import this xlf file to Transit NXT and this worked really wonderfully: all the different files appear as single files in the open file window, pretranslated segments are marked as such, those annoying segments with structure tags do not appear any more at all, the segmentation looks good. Finally, I packed again the finalized translation as xlf with Transit and this one opens correctly in Swordfish along with my translation. Then I converted it back with swordfish to the "original format", which separates again all the different files and saves them as sdlxliff. This last step requires to validate the complete file in Swordfish (tasks > Approve All Translations) before exporting, unless it will export only the original files, that is the contents before the translation, and the target files will not contain the finalized translation.

The only problem left with this solution is that I have to buy Swordfish as a converter, but, probably, it is a better investment than the new version of Trados (that will not run with my domain-based network configuration).

Cheers,
Geneviève
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:53
English to Spanish
Upgrade to Swordfish 3.0-9 Jan 9, 2012

Geneviève Granger wrote:

Then I converted it back with swordfish to the "original format", which separates again all the different files and saves them as sdlxliff. This last step requires to validate the complete file in Swordfish (tasks > Approve All Translations) before exporting, unless it will export only the original files, that is the contents before the translation, and the target files will not contain the finalized translation.

Swordfish 3.0-9 improves the way SDLXLIFF files are handled. If you approve your translations, they are exported to the SDLXFLIFF file and marked as "translated", otherwise they are just exported and are visible in Studio but they are not marked as "translated" so you have to validate them in Studio.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Validation of segments Jan 10, 2012

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Swordfish 3.0-9 improves the way SDLXLIFF files are handled. If you approve your translations, they are exported to the SDLXFLIFF file and marked as "translated", otherwise they are just exported and are visible in Studio but they are not marked as "translated" so you have to validate them in Studio.

This is correct and an important point, Rodolfo, since the customers want to have the translations segments validated will certainly be unhappy to have to do this task by themselves.

GG.

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
sp Jan 31, 2012

New SP can handle XLIFF Projects.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Who are you? Feb 2, 2012

Squires wrote:

New SP can handle XLIFF Projects.

Would you please identify yourself?

Are you a STAR employee?

Thanks,

Hans

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
"new" SP Feb 2, 2012

And which SP do you call "new"? Have you also read carefully what we have been discussing? We have not been talking about XLIFF projects (which we knew Transit can import) but about the specific Trados version of XLIFF.

I have contacted the Star support and gave them a sample file to have them develop a filter for SDLXLIFF. However, I don't know how long they will take for it. My contact person told me that they had little demand for it. Thus to everybod
... See more
And which SP do you call "new"? Have you also read carefully what we have been discussing? We have not been talking about XLIFF projects (which we knew Transit can import) but about the specific Trados version of XLIFF.

I have contacted the Star support and gave them a sample file to have them develop a filter for SDLXLIFF. However, I don't know how long they will take for it. My contact person told me that they had little demand for it. Thus to everybody who is interested in an SDLXLIFF filter for Transit: Please write a short email to the Star support and ask for it - a higher demand may speed up the release of such a filter.

GG.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF filter: hands up! Feb 2, 2012

Geneviève Granger wrote:

Thus to everybody who is interested in an SDLXLIFF filter for Transit: Please write a short email to the Star support and ask for it - a higher demand may speed up the release of such a filter.

GG.

I just send an RFF to Elke F. at STAR AG for this filter.

Hans

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:53
English to Galician
+ ...
updates? Apr 5, 2013

Hi Hans,

Any news from Elke?

Cheers, Manuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLXLIFF: Can Transit NXT handle it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »