Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 10:35
German to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2004

Hi
This is quite urgent, so if you can help, please write a few lines now. Thanks

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to proofread your files in Transit Satellite.

When I translated the file, I used Alt+Ins to go through the segments, so that I don't do the whole work twice (the text was quite repetitive)

Now I would like to proofread the file and make some modifications, but I don't know how to do that, so that all similar segments are updated. If
... See more
Hi
This is quite urgent, so if you can help, please write a few lines now. Thanks

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to proofread your files in Transit Satellite.

When I translated the file, I used Alt+Ins to go through the segments, so that I don't do the whole work twice (the text was quite repetitive)

Now I would like to proofread the file and make some modifications, but I don't know how to do that, so that all similar segments are updated. If I press Alt+Ins, the cursor jumps directly to the end of the file.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
up/down arrows Apr 20, 2004

Elvira,

Why don't you just use the up/down arrows to do it manually? You do have to see every segment, don't you? That's what I do anyway when proofreading the translated segments in Transit.

Marcus

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok, the arrows, but ... Apr 20, 2004

if I go through the text with the arrows, does this automatically update my memory and then change subsequent 100% matches accordingly?

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
update Apr 20, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

if I go through the text with the arrows, does this automatically update my memory and then change subsequent 100% matches accordingly?

No, I don't think so. Say, you reach a segment where you modify the translation. Press Alt+Insert. This will insert the translation of this particular segment into the memory but if you want to apply the modification to all subsequent segments then you may have to do it manually. To do that, simply use the Replace function:

1) Say you reach segment 65 and want to change your translation. Type in the desired change. Don't press Alt+Insert as this will take you to the end of the file.

2) Block the rest of the file starting from segment 66 by right-clicking on the segment from which you want the change to apply and scrolling down until the end of the file (or until the last segment where you want the change to apply).

3) Use Replace function if you want to apply the change to all segments similar to and coming after segment 65.

Hope that helps.
Marcus

[Edited at 2004-04-20 12:12]

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is ... Apr 20, 2004

that I have about 80 files
and they are quite small, but the text in one file is sometimes almost identical to the text in another file, expect for a few words. The files have about 100-200 words each. This is why I need some solution to update the memory, but I am not sure Transit allows un update of the memory once you've accepted the segments with Alt+Ins

[Edited at 2004-04-20 12:15]

Pro Lingua
Pro Lingua  Identity Verified
German to Slovak
+ ...
Korrekturlesen einstellen Apr 20, 2004

Hallo Elvira,

für das Korrektur Lesen wie gehabt das Sprachpaar öffnen und dann unter "Edit" den Menüpunkt "Processing step" und dann "Check1" anklicken. Danach so verfahren wie beim übersetzen (alt+ins).

So funktioniert es.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Erika

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Replace Apr 20, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:
This is why I need some solution to update the memory, but I am not sure Transit allows un update of the memory once you've accepted the segments with Alt+Ins
[Edited at 2004-04-20 12:15]

In this case, I think you can still use the Replace function:

1) After you've just opened the project, be sure to open all 80 files when choosing the language pairs. You will want to have all 80 files open in your source and target interface.

2) Go to the segment where you want the change to occur. Type in the change.

3) Proceed as I described above with regard to blocking the rest of the files below the segment in step 1.

4) Peform Replace.

5) Save the translation. This will update your memory.

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke, das klingt ziemlich gut Apr 20, 2004

Leider stehen da bei mir nur di Optionen Translate un SpellCheck. Von dem was ich bis jetzt erkennen konnte, wird bei SPellcheck die TM nicht aktualisiert.

Pro Lingua wrote:

Hallo Elvira,

für das Korrektur Lesen wie gehabt das Sprachpaar öffnen und dann unter "Edit" den Menüpunkt "Processing step" und dann "Check1" anklicken. Danach so verfahren wie beim übersetzen (alt+ins).

So funktioniert es.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Erika

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TM update Apr 20, 2004

Hi Elvira,
perhaps you are thinking of Trados TM's. The Transit TM consists of the two (aligned)files in your project folder. This means you can have different 100% matches. Alt+Ins only changes the segment status to translated/spellchecked/check 1/check 2 (Transit Smart) it does NOT "update" the TM as in Trados. I haven't used Satellite for ages, so I'm not sure which options are available to you. You say you have spellcheck. So go to Edit/Processing step/ and click on spellcheck. This m
... See more
Hi Elvira,
perhaps you are thinking of Trados TM's. The Transit TM consists of the two (aligned)files in your project folder. This means you can have different 100% matches. Alt+Ins only changes the segment status to translated/spellchecked/check 1/check 2 (Transit Smart) it does NOT "update" the TM as in Trados. I haven't used Satellite for ages, so I'm not sure which options are available to you. You say you have spellcheck. So go to Edit/Processing step/ and click on spellcheck. This means that you can proofread each segment, confirm with Alt+Ins and go on to the next. The spellcheck step does not initiate a fuzzy search (very irritating during proofreading if you don't want it). However, if you do want a fuzzy search, press Alt+Enter. All the different fuzzy matches can be viewed by pressing the + or - key on the numeric pad. If you are unhappy with a segment and want to leave it for later, then just move on to the next segment without pressing Alt+Ins and carry on. When finished, return to the start of the file and press Alt+Ins and this will bring you to the segments you have left for later. This feature is one of the main reasons why I prefer Transit to Trados, especially because the Smart edition has a filter to separate the different segment statuses. The same idea applies during translating. If you want to skip a bit, don't press Alt+Ins (thus marking it as translated), just go on to the next segment.

As regards your plethora of files: press the open icon in the toolbar, mark all (or a selection) of files and click on "add to global window set". This will open all the marked files in one window.

A further tip: you can change the background colour of the segments (not translated/translated) in Options/Profile/Settings/Editor 2/2 /Colors/Background translated segments (need to scroll) /define. You can then see immediately which segments have been translated and which have been skipped.

The main advantage of being able to change the segment status is that you can always see what has already been translated and what you have already proofread.

HTH!

Jill

[Edited at 2004-04-20 15:21]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading your own file in Transit Satellite PE

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »