How to filter on a negation?
Thread poster: trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Jan 24, 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to filter on all segments that don't contain 'Stufe'.

The filter (!Stufe) with reg ex, Display, and case-sensitive ticket doesn't work however...

Transit NXT 956.14

Gerald Dennett
Gerald Dennett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
German to English
+ ...
Hide matching Jan 30, 2013

Just filter on 'Stufe', and set the radio button to "Hide matching segments", instead of "Display matching segments"
Gerald

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
TOPIC STARTER
My reg ex is a little more complicated Jan 30, 2013

Gerald Dennett wrote:

Just filter on 'Stufe', and set the radio button to "Hide matching segments", instead of "Display matching segments"
Gerald

I'm aware of that. The expression I mention is part of a more complex reg ex, so I need this one. (My expression is: hide all segments that do not contain any letters or the word Stufe.)

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:03
Italian to English
In memoriam
Multifarious Jan 30, 2013

You might want to look at Paul Filkin's excellent blog (it's Trados-oriented but has all sorts of little gems).

There's a list of regex expressions that you might find handy here (you'll need to scroll down).

Number 20 could be the one for you.

[Edited at 2013-01-30 18:39 GMT]

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try it Jan 30, 2013

Yes thanks, I'll evaluate it. But my hunch is that my expression is valid and that there is another bug in Transit's implementation of reg ex (like there are many ...).

Any letters or the word Stufe? Feb 12, 2013

Hi trhanslator,

if you know what your "not any letters" segments contain, you may try something like this:
[0-9]|(Stufe) (This example assumes that not any letters means numbers)
combined with the "Hide matching segments" option mentioned by Gerald.

BTW: What regex bugs are you talking about?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to filter on a negation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »