Transit NXT: what are the extensions *.BAS and *.RSA and *.MTX?
Thread poster: Campman
Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:05
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 11, 2013

What are in Transit NXT the extensions *.BAS and *.RSA and *.MTX?
They are not explained in the Transit NXT Reference Guide.

Charles Milton Ling
Charles Milton Ling
English to German
+ ...
http://www.file-extensions.org/ Feb 11, 2013

has them all, with many different possibilities for *.mtx. I have no idea whether the information is correct, however, so please exercise caution!

[Edited at 2013-02-11 11:27 GMT]

Frédérique Fourez
Frédérique Fourez  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to French
+ ...
What can I suggest? Feb 11, 2013

BAS for basic or gwbasic
RSA File extension RSA is a Encoded files which used to save passwords or any other data, for the purpose of protecting encrypted algorithms
MTX or Mad Tracker Audio Tracker software

Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should be more specific ;-) Feb 11, 2013

Thank you for your replies, but a general explanation of the extensions doesn't tell me how theses files relate to Transit NXT.

In other words: what do they DO in Transit NXT? What is their function in Transit NXT? Why are there files with a video extension (*.MTS, recognized by Windows as AVCHD Video files) or audio extension (*.MTX if that would indeed refer to Mad Tracker Audio Tracker) in Transit NXT?
I don't use video, I don't use audio in Transit. I don't perform intern
... See more
Thank you for your replies, but a general explanation of the extensions doesn't tell me how theses files relate to Transit NXT.

In other words: what do they DO in Transit NXT? What is their function in Transit NXT? Why are there files with a video extension (*.MTS, recognized by Windows as AVCHD Video files) or audio extension (*.MTX if that would indeed refer to Mad Tracker Audio Tracker) in Transit NXT?
I don't use video, I don't use audio in Transit. I don't perform internet searches from within Transit... .

*.BAS and *.MTX come with every Project I create (besides the "language pair files", the files with the language extensions) in the formats
TRAN4"Language Code".BAS
TRAN4"Language Code".MTX
STRCT4"Language Code".MTX.

I also find
TRAN4"Language Code".SUB.

Squires already explained that this *.SUB is a temporary file, but if it is temporary, why is it still there?

The first "Projects" I created in Transit NXT were all put in one & the same folder. I want to split them up in separate folders. But because I can't tell which file belongs to which translation / language pair, I don't know what/how to split them up.
Collapse

BAS/MTX/SUB files Feb 11, 2013

These files are indexing the references: As soon as you use language files as reference material (for import or for fuzzy matches), Transit creates one or all of them.

In principle, the files are temporary. But as Transit cannot know if you will use the reference material again, Transit leaves these temporary files alive. So you will save time (some seconds) as Transit does not need to re-create these index files agai
... See more
These files are indexing the references: As soon as you use language files as reference material (for import or for fuzzy matches), Transit creates one or all of them.

In principle, the files are temporary. But as Transit cannot know if you will use the reference material again, Transit leaves these temporary files alive. So you will save time (some seconds) as Transit does not need to re-create these index files again on each start or use...

I use this to clean up my drives from time to time. By deleting all bas/mtx/sub files, I get rid of unused Megaby, save a lot of disc spaces and can speed up the backup...
Up until now, I never noticed any disadvantage or data loss or whatever.

On my humble opionen and your own risk: As Transit re-creates the files if needed, you may delete them as you like and do not need to sort them in your new folder structure. (I assume that a lot of users handle language pairs and to not care at all about the index files...)

But before deleting, make sure you double- (or triple-) check the file extensions. And check if other applications are using the same extensions for "non-temporary" files.

Hope that helps...
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
temp files Feb 11, 2013

"What are in Transit NXT the extensions *.BAS and *.RSA and *.MTX?"

These temporary files have to do with fuzzies and word lists.
They will be overwritten with the next reimport or fuzzy search. They won't be deleted after Transit is closed.
If you delete them, the fuzzy search window just appears again and it will take a couple of seconds (or minutes) to scan the reference materials again. It's just a kind of temporary files, which a generated for specific tasks and won
... See more
"What are in Transit NXT the extensions *.BAS and *.RSA and *.MTX?"

These temporary files have to do with fuzzies and word lists.
They will be overwritten with the next reimport or fuzzy search. They won't be deleted after Transit is closed.
If you delete them, the fuzzy search window just appears again and it will take a couple of seconds (or minutes) to scan the reference materials again. It's just a kind of temporary files, which a generated for specific tasks and won't be deleted, to save time.

After the project is done, you can delete them. Also, if you have any problems with fuzzy search - delete them and start the project again
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
one more thing Feb 11, 2013

"The first "Projects" I created in Transit NXT were all put in one & the same folder. I want to split them up in separate folders. But because I can't tell which file belongs to which translation / language pair, I don't know what/how to split them up."

These files can be ignored. All you need is files with language codes, AEXTR files, _Extr and COD files. Maybe EWL files, if you want to reimport.

Minimal: language pairs, COD and *Extr files. Everything else will be cre
... See more
"The first "Projects" I created in Transit NXT were all put in one & the same folder. I want to split them up in separate folders. But because I can't tell which file belongs to which translation / language pair, I don't know what/how to split them up."

These files can be ignored. All you need is files with language codes, AEXTR files, _Extr and COD files. Maybe EWL files, if you want to reimport.

Minimal: language pairs, COD and *Extr files. Everything else will be created again, if it's missing.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT: what are the extensions *.BAS and *.RSA and *.MTX?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »