Termstar NXT message: Source term not found or cannot be displayed because of view options
Thread poster: Campman
Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 20, 2013

Termstar NXT. I am editing an Entry, save it and get this message:

Termstar NXT message: Source term not found or cannot be displayed because of view options.
\Why do I get this message?

I just edited the source term, so it does exist.

View options set to: Select the specified language variant together with all other variants available.

No filters selected.

I noticed before that when I look up an entry with Ctrl+F plus * *, I
... See more
Termstar NXT. I am editing an Entry, save it and get this message:

Termstar NXT message: Source term not found or cannot be displayed because of view options.
\Why do I get this message?

I just edited the source term, so it does exist.

View options set to: Select the specified language variant together with all other variants available.

No filters selected.

I noticed before that when I look up an entry with Ctrl+F plus * *, I get hits for Entries that are not displayed when I just scroll through the dictionary.
So the dictionaries contain Entries that are not displayed by default.
Why is that?
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Re: Source term not found or cannot be displayed because of view options Apr 20, 2013

Hi Campman,

This is a bug. I sometimes (but not always) get it when entering new terms containing accented French letters (ê, é, è, etc.). The entry is indeed created in the dictionary. Could you give me an example of term(s) that raise this "error" message? I can pass it on to STAR support. They really should fix this.

FYI, another "bug" is terms entered containing a curly apostrophe, which are not recognized in the editor's terminology window (Transit NXT). Make su
... See more
Hi Campman,

This is a bug. I sometimes (but not always) get it when entering new terms containing accented French letters (ê, é, è, etc.). The entry is indeed created in the dictionary. Could you give me an example of term(s) that raise this "error" message? I can pass it on to STAR support. They really should fix this.

FYI, another "bug" is terms entered containing a curly apostrophe, which are not recognized in the editor's terminology window (Transit NXT). Make sure you always change curly to straight apostrophes in your dictionary entries. That way, terms containing curly apostrophes in source segments WILL be recognized, as will those containing straight ones. Illogical but true! I've asked STAR several times to correct this (i.e. automatically store all curly apostrophes/quotes as straight, without our having to do it manually).

I've also noted that Termstar doesn't always immediately refresh the list when you do a Rapid Entry or an Insert Selected. That may explain why you don't see recently created entries straight away. Like you, my workaround is Ctrl-F (I usually press Ctrl-Home first to go to the top of the list).

Another major annoyance is that the Remark field (which I use a lot) is not refreshed in the editor's Terminology window when I create a dictionary entry. The only workaround is to exit then restart Transit!

Richard
Collapse

Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It helped! Apr 20, 2013

For this particular term (starting with "he's") it worked, thank you! (I changed "he's" into "he is" and the entry was visible.

I did a quick search on other entries containing "apostroph s" (first with filter, then without), but the other terms containing "'s" were all visible in the normal view.

Are you working with Access or SQL databases? Could that be a bugging factor? Using Access and SQL databases simultaneously, for instance?

I noticed the same thin
... See more
For this particular term (starting with "he's") it worked, thank you! (I changed "he's" into "he is" and the entry was visible.

I did a quick search on other entries containing "apostroph s" (first with filter, then without), but the other terms containing "'s" were all visible in the normal view.

Are you working with Access or SQL databases? Could that be a bugging factor? Using Access and SQL databases simultaneously, for instance?

I noticed the same thing in Transit - the Termstar Window in Transit (at the right) sometimes gives suggestions, that Termstar doesn't find when I click on the term (to go to the Termstar Tab, the dictionary window).

I have another question on this, will open a new topic.
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Campman Apr 21, 2013

I'm using the Access database only.
Since SP6 (Transit NXT), wildcard searches (* or %) in Termstar are much slower than they used to be. STAR support say this may be due to the size of my dictionary (25000+ entries, many of which contain numerous synonyms, abbreviations, remarks, etc.), which I find hard to believe!

Regarding the suggestions in the terminoolgy window that you don't find in Termstar, are they preceded by a blue (as opposed to a yellow) square? If so, they aren
... See more
I'm using the Access database only.
Since SP6 (Transit NXT), wildcard searches (* or %) in Termstar are much slower than they used to be. STAR support say this may be due to the size of my dictionary (25000+ entries, many of which contain numerous synonyms, abbreviations, remarks, etc.), which I find hard to believe!

Regarding the suggestions in the terminoolgy window that you don't find in Termstar, are they preceded by a blue (as opposed to a yellow) square? If so, they aren't dictionary entries but suggestions based on markups (see page 20 of User's Guide). If not, then I have no explanation.

As for the apostrophe problem, instead of replacing "he's" with "he is", did you try replacing the curly apostrophe with a straight one? That should work too.
NB: it's worth doing, even if the apostrophe doesn't look curly in Termstar (just overwrite it).

Richard
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termstar NXT message: Source term not found or cannot be displayed because of view options

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »