Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Jan 22, 2006

I'm currently working on a job with TRSPE.
Some time ago I did a similar job for the same customer. The machines are different, but the manuals have a lot in common. For unknown reasons Transit does not find any matches from previous projects, although I have them in Trados. I still have the whole project for the previous job on my HDD.
With the older version of Transit 2.4 (full) it was possible to copy the file pairs into the folder of the new project before starting to translate.
... See more
I'm currently working on a job with TRSPE.
Some time ago I did a similar job for the same customer. The machines are different, but the manuals have a lot in common. For unknown reasons Transit does not find any matches from previous projects, although I have them in Trados. I still have the whole project for the previous job on my HDD.
With the older version of Transit 2.4 (full) it was possible to copy the file pairs into the folder of the new project before starting to translate. Then Transit has included them in the fuzzy index. I did the same with Satllite, but to no avail - TRSPE does not "see" them.

Is there any possible way to "teach" TRSPE this?

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy

PS
Asking the customer to recreate the project does not have any sense now, as I shall be ready tomorrow.
Collapse

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Workaround - Xbench Jan 22, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

Xbench (http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html) is able to search trough your previous Transit projects. It is free and it works very well (I use it primarily with MS glossaries).

I know, that this is not what you've looked for, however it will be helpful if you won't succeed with Transit.

HTH
Tadej

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I am afraid it is "no go" Jan 22, 2006

Using the Transit Pro verison, I do not have PE Satellite on my PC any more, of course; but as far as I remember the whole PE Satellite concept, it is such that the reference material must be selected and included in the project by the Project Manager who created the job and sent it to you for the PE Satellite processing.

If you are in a situation (and have enough time) to ask your customer and a chance they wil understand what you want from them and comply with your request.
... See more
Using the Transit Pro verison, I do not have PE Satellite on my PC any more, of course; but as far as I remember the whole PE Satellite concept, it is such that the reference material must be selected and included in the project by the Project Manager who created the job and sent it to you for the PE Satellite processing.

If you are in a situation (and have enough time) to ask your customer and a chance they wil understand what you want from them and comply with your request.

But, actually, some time ago I was exactly in the situation you are in now, and that setup made me consider and test the higher versions of Transit. I tested and started using Transit, and now I like it best among my CAT tools and use it most often (I also have Trados and XLIFF editor).

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your comments Jan 22, 2006

The external tool is indeed not what I was looking for.
And this is a pity also, that one cannot "foolish" TRSPE by copying the file pairs into its project folder, as it was possible before.

My problem is, that I'm using Trados to translate Transit contents, but in a very unsophisticated way, taking T-Window for Clipboard as the medium to transfer segments between both programs.
In Trados I have matches from 70-99% and even sometimes 100%, but after pasting them back to
... See more
The external tool is indeed not what I was looking for.
And this is a pity also, that one cannot "foolish" TRSPE by copying the file pairs into its project folder, as it was possible before.

My problem is, that I'm using Trados to translate Transit contents, but in a very unsophisticated way, taking T-Window for Clipboard as the medium to transfer segments between both programs.
In Trados I have matches from 70-99% and even sometimes 100%, but after pasting them back to Transit I sometimes need to replace formatting TAGs (bold, italic), which takes a lot of time...

For the next time I'll ask the customer to recreate the project.

Thank you and have a nice Sunday
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:16
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
In Transit: go to the menu Jan 22, 2006

Project/Settings/Reference Material and add there all the things you need - previous Transit projects, folders or just files in Transit formats. And then you will have the matches in Transit. That's all.

[Edited at 2006-01-22 12:35]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately there is no such menu Jan 22, 2006

in Transit Satellite PE 3.0 - and I was referring to this particular software.

In the meantime I was send a file by Tadej, which seems to do the trick. Thanks a lot, Tadej, you saved me a lot of time!

Regards
Jerzy

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:16
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
OK, Jan 22, 2006

I was talking about the Version Transit XV Professional SP 15. I thought the versions have the same settings in the case. Sorry.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What about a "maybe go"? .... Jan 22, 2006

Hi, Antonin, a blue-eyed suggestion:

What Jerzy needs to have done, requires the transit FV, which you evidently are in possesion of.Now, Jerzy could send you the TXF files, and you could recreate the dictionaries?... Or am I missing something?

Of course, if this turns out to be more and more in vogue, you could start asking a fee from us (g).

I have been already thinking about this kind of a carwash service for people without TRADOS (..."spellchecked out
... See more
Hi, Antonin, a blue-eyed suggestion:

What Jerzy needs to have done, requires the transit FV, which you evidently are in possesion of.Now, Jerzy could send you the TXF files, and you could recreate the dictionaries?... Or am I missing something?

Of course, if this turns out to be more and more in vogue, you could start asking a fee from us (g).

I have been already thinking about this kind of a carwash service for people without TRADOS (..."spellchecked output extra 0.20 per correction"...)

regards

[Edited at 2006-01-22 13:13]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OF COURSE there's no such menu... Jan 22, 2006

that's THE difference between PE and FV, as far as my limited experience with both goes.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sumarizing the situation Jan 22, 2006

The file I got from Tadej was PlusToolz. This is a macro-document for Word, which allows (among others) the conversion of Star Transit files to segmented RTF, process them with Trados (Wordfast) in Word, save and convert back to Transit. Then you need to open the translated and converted files in Tranist and check formatiing codes (TAGs) and finally confirm the translation.

This works like a charm. Even if I still do not like TRSPE now I´m quite sure I´ll be able to process files
... See more
The file I got from Tadej was PlusToolz. This is a macro-document for Word, which allows (among others) the conversion of Star Transit files to segmented RTF, process them with Trados (Wordfast) in Word, save and convert back to Transit. Then you need to open the translated and converted files in Tranist and check formatiing codes (TAGs) and finally confirm the translation.

This works like a charm. Even if I still do not like TRSPE now I´m quite sure I´ll be able to process files faster, using this way.
Maybe the full version of Star Transit has it´s advantages, but I´m not willing to buy it, for the same reasons I do not buy DejaVU. As long my customers do not force me to do so, I will not.

Thanks to you all for your support
Have a nice Sunday
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I was thinking about offering such option Jan 22, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

Now, Jerzy could send you the TXF files, and you could recreate the dictionaries?... Or am I missing something?

- you are right, I could play a role of a "substitute Project Manager" in such a situation.

It turns out that - in between - Jerzy has been sent a solution which is better from his point of view. I understand his approach, of course - once you learn doing your work in a CAT tool, it takes time to switch over to something else.

Just on the margin:

Using Transit, you can do a few things which I do not know how to do with the aid of other tools - for example, translating a Word file with Excel linked tables, all in one automatic run. (Perhaps the latest Trados 7 verison does offer this feature? I have not tried lately.) Or, after switching off the tag protection, I can edit tags as if in Notepad (though doing it may be dangerous, it is a good thing as long as you really know what you are doing).

Another point is that jobs I get for Transit processing are pianful to work on using only the Satellite verison (I do not think I am able to produce professional results in it without a lot of extra work). I get quite a few of such jobs.

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Antonin, you absolutely right Jan 22, 2006

Man is a habituos animal (if I got it right in English).
I got used to use Trados and I like to use Word.
Any other editor does not offer that comfort, so I very much appreciate the possibility to process Transit in Word.

As for the embedded tables, I do not know the answer. Maybe when using TAG Editor, as it extracts text from every single text box too. Switching TAG protectin off was always possible in Word.

Regards
Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
About Transit Jan 22, 2006

Could someone please tell, what kind of Transit it the best for freelance translators, where to get it and how much it costs?
The Star site is very confusing.
Thanks!
Heinrich

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps the best is to try for yourself Jan 22, 2006

You can get a 30-day full version for free as a trial. I contacted Star Transit Czech office and they sent me a CD with a trial key (and gave me the pricing info, which is not given on the Star website at all, if I am not mistaken).

There is Trasit XV Workstation for about 700 UR, Smart for about 1000 EUR, and Professional for about 2000 EUR, with different functionality.

I first bought Smart and later upgraded to Professional (with macros and sending projects as the
... See more
You can get a 30-day full version for free as a trial. I contacted Star Transit Czech office and they sent me a CD with a trial key (and gave me the pricing info, which is not given on the Star website at all, if I am not mistaken).

There is Trasit XV Workstation for about 700 UR, Smart for about 1000 EUR, and Professional for about 2000 EUR, with different functionality.

I first bought Smart and later upgraded to Professional (with macros and sending projects as the most distinctive features Pro has but Smart does not; also some filters for importing andexporting - i.e., the range of formats you can process in Transit); I am not sure of the exact difference between the Workstation and Smart, but roughly speaking the Workstation just improves the productivity of the Satellite but is still for people who receive projects and cannot import them themselves.

You need Smart if you want, say, to take a Word file, make a Transit project from it and export the result back to Word.

If you know how, you can create macros by hand in Smart, so you can probably live with Smart if you work alone; but if you want to send your projects to other people to cooperate with you (being their "project manager" in Transit terminology), it will be hard without Pro.

Antonin

[Edited at 2006-01-22 17:12]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not in Finland, I'm afraid Jan 23, 2006

I contacted the Finnish Star representative, but they only sent me a link to download Satellite SE.
Thanks for the pricing information, Antonin!
Regards
Heinrich

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating reference material for Transit Satellite PE

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »