Thread poster: Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:29
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2021

I am translating the following sentence into the Russian language and cannot understand what exactly is meant in the statement “by Jánácek and Sir Pappano assistant for Rossini Guillaume Tell, Emi Records 2011.”

Did Sir Pappano participate in Marco Angius’s new production of Jánácek’s La Volpe astuta, or is he mentioned separately as an assistant for the new production of Rossini’s Guillaume Tell?

“Since 2008 he [in the context, Marco Angius] is cooperat
... See more
I am translating the following sentence into the Russian language and cannot understand what exactly is meant in the statement “by Jánácek and Sir Pappano assistant for Rossini Guillaume Tell, Emi Records 2011.”

Did Sir Pappano participate in Marco Angius’s new production of Jánácek’s La Volpe astuta, or is he mentioned separately as an assistant for the new production of Rossini’s Guillaume Tell?

“Since 2008 he [in the context, Marco Angius] is cooperating with the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (where in 2011 he conducted a new production of La Volpe astuta by Jánácek and Sir Pappano assistant for Rossini Guillaume Tell, Emi Records 2011) and he is invited for conducting masterclasses by the Music Conservatory in Lugano.”
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:29
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Vlad Aug 30, 2021

I did a bit of online research, as there's obviously something amiss in the excerpt you posted. (As a side note, you should have posted your query in the KudoZ section, rather than the Forum.)

In the '2010 Concerts' section of Angius's website (where the above also comes from), you can read how Angius was the assistant conductor of Antonio Pappano for rehearsal, concerts and Emi recording of Rossini [sic] William Tell (16-20 Oct., Rome, Parco della Musica, Accademia Na
... See more
I did a bit of online research, as there's obviously something amiss in the excerpt you posted. (As a side note, you should have posted your query in the KudoZ section, rather than the Forum.)

In the '2010 Concerts' section of Angius's website (where the above also comes from), you can read how Angius was the assistant conductor of Antonio Pappano for rehearsal, concerts and Emi recording of Rossini [sic] William Tell (16-20 Oct., Rome, Parco della Musica, Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia).
http://www.marcoangius.it/concerts_2010.html

The above is confirmed by the credits page for the recording of Rossini's William Tell, where Angius is listed as 'music assistant', and Pappano as 'Conductor, Primary Artist'
https://www.allmusic.com/album/rossini-william-tell-mw0002143114/credits

I also found the same 'edited' snippet you've posted in a .pdf file (p. 8) of a Brilliant Classic release, including the bios of all the artists involved.
'Since 2008 he has worked closely with the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, where in 2011 he conducted a new production of The Cunning Little Vixen by Jánácek. He was Antonio Pappano’s assistant for the recording of Rossini’s Guillaume Tell (Emi Records 2011).
https://booklets.idagio.com/5028421954363.pdf

Hope this helps.

Edited to correct a preposition.

[Edited at 2021-08-30 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Dalia Nour

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Research Aug 30, 2021

Barbara Carrara wrote:

In the '2010 Concerts' section of Angius's website (where the above also comes from), you can read how Angius was the assistant conductor of Antonio Pappano for rehearsal, concerts and Emi recording of Rossini [sic] William Tell (16-20 Oct., Rome, Parco della Musica, Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia).
http://www.marcoangius.it/concerts_2010.html

The above is confirmed by the credits page for the recording of Rossini's William Tell, where Angius is listed as 'music assistant', and Pappano as 'Conductor, Primary Artist'
https://www.allmusic.com/album/rossini-william-tell-mw0002143114/credits

I also found the same 'edited' snippet you've posted in a .pdf file (p. 8) of a Brilliant Classic release, including the bios of all the artists involved.
'Since 2008 he has worked closely with the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, where in 2011 he conducted a new production of The Cunning Little Vixen by Jánácek. He was Antonio Pappano’s assistant for the recording of Rossini’s Guillaume Tell (Emi Records 2011).
https://booklets.idagio.com/5028421954363.pdf

Hope this helps.

Edited to correct a preposition.

[Edited at 2021-08-30 08:48 GMT]

Thank you a lot. You have done very good research. I can see now what the meaning should be.
I am doing a translation test for a Russian translation agency. Apparently the English source text of the test has a mistake. I do not know whether this is purposeful (to test the research skills of a translator) or accidental. It is definitely necessary to be a good researcher in order to be a successful translator.

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Dalia Nour

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Vlad2 Aug 30, 2021

[quote]Vlad Kotenko wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:
I am doing a translation test for a Russian translation agency. Apparently the English source text of the test has a mistake. I do not know whether this is purposeful (to test the research skills of a translator) or accidental. It is definitely necessary to be a good researcher in order to be a successful translator.

I can confirm that the EN translation of the Bio page of the conductor's official website still includes the mistake (excerpt copied below), so it wasn't done on purpose. Or perhaps they selected that passage precisely because of it, who knows? However, it wouldn't be the first time potential or regular clients provide translators with a source text containing one or more typos, inaccuracies and the like. So, you definitely have to keep your eyes peeled, and when in doubt, do some additional research.

'He founded and is the Music Director of the the ensemble Algoritmo (Amadeus Price 2007 for the best recording of the year for Mixtim by Ivan Fedele recorded by Stradivarius). Since 2008 he is cooperating with the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (where in 2011 he conducted a new production of La Volpe astuta by Jánácek and Sir Pappano assistant for Rossini Guillaume Tell, Emi Records 2011) and he is invited for conducting masterclasses by the Music Conservatory in Lugano.'
http://www.marcoangius.it/biography_english.html

Good luck with your test!

P.L.F. Persio

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source Text Aug 30, 2021

I can confirm that the EN translation of the Bio page of the conductor's official website still includes the mistake (excerpt copied below), so it wasn't done on purpose.

Yes, I had forgotten that the original text on the Internet page must also contain the mistake. The text of the test had simply been copied from that source.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 31, 2021

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

Point the mistake out, whether or not they're doing it on purpose.
I pointed out that a sentence was incomplete, guessed what was probably missing and got a job on the strength of it so I reckon that's the best way to go.
The worst that can happen is that the person who chose the test will feel bad at including such a stupid mistake.

I remember once I devised a test with a wrong link, it was amazing how few translators bothered to check up on it. The ones that did, somehow always produced beautiful prose too, so it really sorted the wheat from the chaff!

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mentioning the Mistake Aug 31, 2021

Kay Denney wrote:
Point the mistake out, whether or not they're doing it on purpose.
I pointed out that a sentence was incomplete, guessed what was probably missing and got a job on the strength of it so I reckon that's the best way to go.
The worst that can happen is that the person who chose the test will feel bad at including such a stupid mistake.

Thank you. I will mention the mistake and will perhaps have greater chances of being offered a job by the agency.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Probably an intentional error Aug 31, 2021

I've seen a lot of errors in translation tests that can be spotted with due research and have never failed a test after pointing them out.

I'm starting to suspect that it is a popular trend in translation test design. Seems like they are checking to see whether you do research.

[Edited at 2021-08-31 15:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of a Sentence From the Field of Music Arts

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »